Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JR, that is a nice fence you built, I remember in my young days doing fencing but then it was digging post holes and stapling the wire on the posts.

KF, tis nice that you like snakes so well, I have never tried eating one. When I was in High School a classmate and his Father used to go hunting them all the time. He asked me to go with them a couple of time but I passed on the opportunity.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
George, we did have to dig two holes with a hand digger and put in a brace post, but I totally approve of using T Posts if you can. We hit rock 2 feet down and spent two hours busting through it with a steel digger. Tough on old folks. I am keeping Electric on my side anyway for a Bull deterrent.

Snakes! That Copperhead KF posted was a Little one
BUT.
ANY Copperhead over 3 inches long is a Biggen to Me.

·
Administrator
13,439 Posts
I'd like to see more pics of that snake Mike. Something didn't look right for copperhead? Head wasn't very big. I also know I wouldn't eat one. Helped a bud skin out a 42" rattler once. Damn that think stunk to high heaven! Yuck. May have been better had he put it on ice, but I know he wasn't planning on eating it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Now that I have a backer

I too have doubts of it being a copperhead. Kentucky copperheads rarely exceed 16" and the head should have more of a triangular shape. Also should have been able to see fangs with mouth open.

But it makes a good story of a fearless holder to say it is a copperhead!

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I heard Mr. Green Britches has been putting RUBBER SNAKES which look like Copperheads, in the highway out in western Kentucky and Ticketing People who run over them "agressively" that is back up and hitem again...like i do.
Seems it's Aginst the Law to kill Copperheads and Rattlers in some locations.
I ain't joking folks.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Snakes

I have never paid any attention to a snake trying to identify it before I kill it. "I don't like spiders and snakes".

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Here's a zoom of the photo I posted. I initially had no idea what kind of snake it was, because most of what showed was the critter's belly, not its back. But in this zoom, you can see some of the back and it's typical copperhead.

As for head shape and fangs, here's a closeup he sent because, like you guys, he knew ahead of time I'd be skeptical. Clearly these are elliptical eyes. As for head shape, this snake's head was somewhat misshapen because that's where my bro whacked the snake with a big stick. He knew he wanted to save the hide, so he aimed blows at the head. He did jack the snake's jaws open to confirm fangs and did find them. You can see just part of one in the photo.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
After personally observing a couple of PA Timber Rattlers up close and personal I gave up all desire to search them out. There are several snake regularly held snake hunts east of me in PA. No desire to even observe, let alone feast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.