Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project started when I bought a second hand Savage Model 10 in 308 at my local gun trading post. I had dies for the 308 but it wasn't really what I was looking for in a varmint rifle (I just got a good deal on the rifle). I ended up with chambering a Douglas XX in a medium-heavy contour, 10" twist 23 1/2" long in 6mm-284. I installed a SSS recoil lug but kept the accu-trigger and just put a lighter spring in it. I had Kevin Rayhill retro-fit the new single stack magazine on while he was truing and timing the action.I used the rifle with the factory stock for deer season this year and bagged a buck using the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT GameKing bullet. After deer seaqson I put on a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x SF scope and for Christmas Santa brought me a Stockade Gun stock and thats what she's wearing in this picture. 1/2" or better three shot groups are not uncommon for this rifle with the right loads. It weighs 11 pounds with the Harris bi-pod and sling but really doen't feel that heavy unless I carry all day.She will not win any beauty contests but I guess pretty is as pretty does or something like that.

Rodney

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lighter Accutrigger Spring

You can get a lighter accu-trigger spring frpm Fred at Sharp Shooters Supply. savage puts a somewhat lighter spring on the Varmint models but the sporters are pretty hefty. I took mine off of a Model 12 trigger I tool off of a Model 12 BVSS.

Rodney

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to learn how to resize photos ....

Man is my picture big!. This is the first time I have used Cris's photo site how do I resize my photo's so there not so big. That picture would be impossible to view with my dial-up at work.

Rodney

·
Registered
321 Posts
Eggman.............good looking rifle. I don't have a Savage in my inventory and seeing yours is giving me an itch.

Have 2 Mausers to build first, BUT that does not mean I can't look for an action!:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I may have gone a little bit too heavy with the barrel...

but its really not that bad. It balances good and I shot a deer with it off hand at a 100 yds. so if I can hump it I can shoot it. LOL! :) That cartridge heats the barrel so quickly I just didn't want to have a pencil like barrel. After I burn the throat out and set it back once or twice it may be more manageable as a 20" flamethrower:D

Rodney

·
Registered
460 Posts
Seeing the Big Picture

Man is my picture big!. This is the first time I have used Cris's photo site how do I resize my photo's so there not so big. That picture would be impossible to view with my dial-up at work.

Rodney
I think the picture is good. You can see the knurling on the bolt handle.

Nice

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Reduced picture.

eggman nothing is uglier than a gun that doesn't shoot. Savages look just great to me.

Smaller picture.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Rodney, you are a smart man......

I get it......you wanted a walking varminter, and had two choices, build a 6 to 7 pounder and hike all day.........OR........chamber an 11 pounder in 6-284, and scope it up so you DONT have to walk as far, and kill anything from 650 yards out! :D :D

Nooooooooowwwwwwwww I get it....:)

Seriously I like the rifle, and congrats on getting it to shoot well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm busted! John figured me out. LOL! You are right I don't like to walk that far and do believe in reaching out and touching something far far away.But the truth is that so far I haven't been able to call a coyote into the same zip code as me. I have to just happen upon them to kill one .Thanks for the complement on the rifle.

Rodney

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is a beautiful rifle.

Rodney, it sure looks nice to me. I live about 80 miles north of the Douglas Barrel company but have never visited there. They used to give tours through the plant where they make the barrels back in the 60's.
My father barreled an old Mauser 98 action with one of their XX-barrels in 22.250 years ago and it was a shooter for sure.
Good luck with your new rifle.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stockade Gunstocks painted it...

the color was called Forest Green and I got it with Black webbing but its hard to see.You would have to ask Kevin what he uses. I got it already to go (primed,sanded and painted)as I was unhappy with the one that I did myself before this one .:( I am just not very good with paint and I'd be the first to admit it.

Rodney

1 - 14 of 14 Posts