Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been about a year since i purchased this boat. Finally finished! Here are a few before and after. Total electric boat. 112 lb thrust Minnekota. 6 batteries, all marine wire, all marine grade plywood, 2 sets of circuit breakers, 3 sets of maintenance switches. Has been a project.

Just Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks George, It was a project to say the least but really enjoyed it. The boat is specific to no wake lakes with one specific one in mind that has some very large fish in it. Like to take credit for the complete build but have a friend that's a retired cable splicer from SWB that I turned the electric end over to. Nothing about the build has changed the original configuration and still have everything to put back as a power boat less the MTR. Wife said I should name it, no problem "Fore Sail". Jus Doug and Jus sail'n:eek::D

·
Registered
293 Posts
They're doing amazing things with electricity and batteries these days. Don't know if you were aware that Torqueedo makes electric outboards. Probably would have saved you some time but also cost more money. They make electric outboards from 5HP to 80 HP. You can use a lead acid battery but the high cost lithium will last a lot longer between charges and go farther. Congrats on doing something that I've wanted to do for decades but never tried. I'll bet it's more fun than than shooting a 458 mag at turtles in a stock tank.
https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/products/outboards/cruise

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
6 batteries and 112# thrust?
Sounds like an Aquarium Tesla.
It looks very, very nice. Congrats on the workmanship.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
AQUA......should be. Doggone thing thinks it's a mind reader.

Can NOT find out how to edit.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
And since you already have the batteries, maybe your friend can figure out how to make you an "electric fishing assist device" with a couple of long metal probes and a capacitor from an old, old TV. Not biting today? Nooooo problemo! Ha!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You

Thanks guys for the compliments. I put a lot of time and effort into this build. There's more to the story then you could imagine. At one point I thought I would deviate from my original intent of building and electric as the motor turned out to be in excellent condition. But due to some health concerns of my wife's I changed my mind. One tell tale sign is the seats in the middle. There was a limit as far as budget went and I blew through that this year. The after pictures are really not complete so I'll show a few more a bit latter. Tomorrow I (we) head for whats commonly referred to as the Pump back. If you noticed the transom in the before pics that was pretty much toast made for a nail biting 2 1/2 hr trip home thinking that 115 Merc was going to drop off some place on the turn pike. As for other electric power options the sky is the limit as long as you have some really deep pockets. the boat does have a bow mount trolling mtr. the 112 is good for about 1 1/2 hrs at full tilt 3 batteries power it 1 powers bilge, lights and live well and two for the front which are run through a switch Bat 1 Bat 2 and everyhting is fused with circuit breakers on both mtrs . Once again compliments from the lot of you is VERY much appreciated. Thank you kindly Jus Doug:):eek::)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts