Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though it has been a long paper and fruit punching journey, today my Taipan Vet Compact in .25 cal got “deflowered”, so officially it is no longer a virgin air rifle. The Taipan can now call itself a man for it made its first kills today and became what it is meant to be, a hunter! And just to note, the Taipan is a Czech made PCP air rifle and is considered to have one of the best triggers in the business.

Today I went back out to the dairy I had permission at for a couple of hours. The wind was hell (part of the reason I chose the Taipan over the Leshiy 2), plus the Taipan needed to stretch its legs and get its “first blood.”

The weather was a mixed rain no rain then snow coming. Winds were 15 mph stead with gusts I am guessing to 20 mph, so far from ideal for shooting on a diary because of pellet drift. The 4 main things I had to worry about with shot placement were cows (a couple of hundred), workers, buildings and machinery. I don’t want to pay for / hurt / injure any of the former so I gave up many shots where I wasn’t certain on where the pellet would land. Some bloody sparrows decided their favorite spot was on a tractor not a proper place like a hay bale, so no sparrows today, though it would have been easy to do so.

During the hunt I varied the power setting on the Taipan (one reason I love it so much) from a “guesstimate” of 45 ft/lbs to 20 ft/lbs. I shot JSB Hades in 25 cal. I have shot the Taipan enough I can guess the setting. Shots were from 10/15 yards to 60/70 yards, but I did take a couple of 80 plus and missed due to wind drift. I don’t have a range finder so I was going off the parallax of the scope to gauge distance.

The Eurasian doves and feral pigeons were “edgy” today and their numbers were about half of last week, though colder but windy with a storm coming in to the region. Plus I know I am not the only one pesting this dairy, so the birds are a bit educated. One thing I learned, I wish the doves and pigeons were as dumb as the calves who seemed VERY interested me and what I was doing. However, if I looked the bird’s way they took off into the property over the fence line.

After two hours and two half magazines I got a total of 6 connects, triple the Leshiy 2 under less than ideal conditions. There were 3 doves and 3 pigeons, 4 confirmed kills and one dove couldn’t be recovered from the roof of the barn unless I had a 15 ft ladder. One dove and one pigeons were fly always, which made me feel bad, but the pigeon shocked me. I have heard how tough pigeons can be and today proved it. The pigeon was facing back to me at probably 50/60 yards. The Taipan had 40 ft/lbs setting, I took aim, shot heard the pellet connect with smack, puff of feathers, a fly of birds and the pigeon couldn’t be found after a 10 min search. Also, for the dove in the picture I should be given a medal for getting it off the roof of the barn because I used probably a 12 ft 2×4 with nails in it to get the bird off while climbing an old fence.

Also, I saw my goal of this trip STARLINGS, BUT the little shots were on a power line in front of the road which had I-86 behind it. If I took a shot I break at least 3 laws. So the “shots” moved on to live another day. Plus it was in front of the office of the dairy.

Tomorrow I hope to go out again or first thing Sunday before I leave back to the Netherlands. God I am missing this country! Give me 6 more months and I can return.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Glad to hear you got to the U.S. while you and we still the the opportunity to exercise our right to hunt. I have seen an increase in the numbers of pigeons in our area in Michigan and I think these are offsprings of homing pigeon who did come home to roost. I have seen them close to the homes of people involved in racing pigeons.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Nice write up. One thing I do not miss from SE Idaho is the constant wind. It makes shooting a centerfire rifles a challenge, can only imagine what it is like for an air gun.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Good work.

Did you by any chance get started with a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun? I did, envious of a buddy with a Benjamin Silver Streak pellet rifle, but years later jumped to an H & R .22 or single shot so missed the pellet gun part of my shootin’ education.

Thanks for sharing.

Stay safe.

Best,
Dave

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, and sorry for the delay in posting. The last couple of days in Idaho were busy as was my return to The Netherlands. If all goes well, I am planning on going in a couple of weeks. However, my Leshiy 2 might be shown the door and replaced with another Czech gun, the Kaligrun Cricket II (photo below) or AirMak Caiman X (great gun but butt ugly below is a photo of the Caiman.) A buddy of mine is reviewing the Cricket II and he is giving it nothing but praise. If I get the Cricket II or similar I would jump up from 177 to 22, which would be better for bucking the wind.

Within reason the 25 cal JSB 25 grain pellet can buck the wind out to 60 yards with enough hold. At full power the Taipan Vet Compact is shooting the 25 grain pellets at an average of 870 fps, which gives 40 to 42 ft/lbs of energy. with the 34 grain JSBs I can get up to 50 ft/lbs of energy.

@Dave H yes, I started out with a Red Rider and the crossman multi pump.
@FBecigneul Thanks and it felt good, and I am considering to move back to USA, partially because of wanting to hunt without all the paperwork. UK you have a right to hunt with a sub-12 ft/lbs rifle for general pesting and say wild pigeons and rabbits. Though in the UK an FAC license which takes a while to get you are very limited, same in Netherlands.
@acpchuck yes, I grew up in Idaho and all too familiar with the winds. while skiing at Pebble Creek near Pocatello I more than once froze my ass off, same applies to bird hunting in region.

The one advantage air rifles (if not overly too power) have over centerfire for pesting, unless you are using slugs, you don't have as much down-range liability. If don't want spend all the money to get into PCP air rifles, a great break-barrel the Beeman R9 / Weinrauch 95 in 177/.22 cal. For general pesting around a farm or similar you are go out to 40 yards up to rabbit with proper shot placement. The gun will come far more accurate that most can shoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts