Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, I'm new...!
I hope this isn't too much and yes, I'm still giddy about the first success on the second hunt.
I went back to an area I had heard a reply from a week earlier when I used a siren locator.
I got a far hillside to light up 2 different times with maybe as many as 4 to 6 Coyotes hollering back...barking and yelping with a mix of challenges and howls. I never did see one. I moved to another portion of the same hill and set up in front of a small ledge, just enough to hide my outline against the sky.
I was about to get up and leave after having been there for nearly an hour and was startled when this female hopped up landing about my 4 o'clock just 30 feet away! She came from what I thought was my downwind and was not even checking there...I wouldn't have seen her coming anyway for the ledge that was behind me. I think in the split second we noticed each other, we both pee'ed our pants!
She obviously took off quicker than I could swing around and knock my shooting sticks down and nearly fall over and so on. She disappeared over the brink of the hill and showed up down where I had been expecting to see one come out. With a couple of whis whis whistles, she stopped to look back, just long enough to get a non-shooting stick shot off. I think I was kneeling and would like to say I squeezed off a well placed shot for the kill, but ...I jerked a lousy aim job and watched her take off like a shot! (Not to coin a phrase!)
A feeling of disappointment mixed with elation, that I had actually got a predator to run up on me and the thought of any knowing person scowling at me that I had educated a future Coyote for someone else.
I guess I figured I'd go on down and see what brand new tracks looked like in the present snow conditions. That's when the rest of the event unfolded. A tuft of hair! Wow!...Hey! A drop of blood! I must have hit a toenail! As I followed the tracks, more blood and then lots and hey, wait a minute...I may be able to find this critter!
I did find her and used another shot low in the chest as I wanted to keep the hide from my first Coyote and didn't want a big hole in the good part of the hide.
I drug her back to the truck for skinning as I had made provisions to hang a Coyote from my roof rack.
I have about 10 captioned pics, but I think I can only include 1 with this posting. How does one allow you folks to see more?
Clark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Isn't that FUN ??????

I've been calling coyotes since about 1965 and still get excited when one comes in. ALWAYS expect the unexpected. Still remember my first coyote, my first bobcat, my first fox, and my first p.......... (well that's another story)...LOL

·
Registered
81 Posts
Post the rest of the pics! all you have to do is click on the img Icon(yellow with mts and sun)
Great story! Welcome to the wild world of Varmint hunting!
:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good Job! Yes, they always too startle and excite me and come from the unexpected. Yes, dropping the rifle and the $5oo optics in the snow is par for the course.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You give me Hope for calling a coyote in as I have only just shot them when our paths crossed.LOL!

Rodney

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Excellent job, Clark.

Just put each image address in your post where you want the picture to show up, then put
at the end. Remember that you don't need to start a new post, because you can edit the current one. Great story, and thanks for the additional pics :>).

Sid

·
Registered
826 Posts
Way to go, Dude!........

I simply can not use shooting sticks unless I am in wide open dessert country, even then I'm fighting those things. That was great shooting!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Funny story, Congratulations!!

And hope to see more pics.....

The board will allow 4 I think. When you are typing your reply, or post, just click on the yellow postcart image (the one with the mountains in it) atop your message box, and down will come a box to insert your pics URL into.

Like Bruce says, you wont ever forget your first one!! Good job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coyote

I am new to the sight,wonting to learn how to call Coyotes.I Rabbit hunt and thay are wiping out the Rabbits.Bob Cats is also I bought a Coyote Call to day but have no idea how to use it.Ican blow and make sounds dont sound like the Coyotes I have heard at night her.It supose to make Coyote pup sounds same a dieing Rabbit dont know about that.Any help would be aprshated.Blessings Mike Owens

·
Registered
65 Posts
new coyote hunter

Congratulations, first one. Well, now you are hooked just like the rest of us. I remember my first coyote and I also had to track mine. Go out again and get a few more and tell us about the hunt. Ghost

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Giys, I'd like to think I could operate an airplane better than I can a computor, ...
My pics have an "address" on my computor, but I'm not sure if they need a "url" and I don't really know what or how that is...I know you guys get sick of answering the same problems over and over.
I posted the pics address verbatum to sid's instructions, but I know that isn't gonna work (the way I am doing it!).
When I try the yellow post card image with the mountain on it, I think all it does is change the current "thumbnail we all can see.
I did get out to the same area again today and no takers! I found some other access roads to more area there, but a little above freezing temps has the snow so sloppy I couldn't get very far. Too much fog to see past about 50 yards wofting in and out so went back to original area to see if the carrcas was still there as I had put it where I could find it again to see what was in the area. A week has past now and the critter was licked clean! It looked like a skull you put in the crab pot to let the crabs and shrimp clean it to the bone. What I thought was interesting was there were no Coyote tracks. Just bird. The snow around the carrcas was trampled down, but I just couldn't see anything but bird tracks. I guess I figured the carrcas buddies would have had lunch there!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congratulations Clark!!

great job of calling and bringing her down. One question--what caliber were you using? To get your first coyote on your second time out is absolutely awesome! I have been calling going on five years now and while I've had my chances(joeniv is chuckling right now I'm sure) I just got my first called-in last Sat. Still a great feeling. hopefully it won't be that long before the next one! Now I gotta shoot for my first double. Hope you can get us a pic of the pelt when your done w/it.

Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use a Remington 700 VSSF in .223. Leopold 6X14 w/ Varmit Retical . Harnady 53Gn BTHP Match at about 3300fps.

I don't plan to have it tanned as that takes so long, so this will just be dried and be a wall hanger.
I couldn't figure out how to make a hoop, so the square frame will do.
I don't a a stretch board big enough to stretch them in the tube style (case?) like I used to my Marten hides when I was younger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts