Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i said “darnish the wind” and went out to my permission to stretch the legs of Glimmer, my Prophet Performance Compact. If you ask why I call her Glimmer, is because it is a rifle you might not notice, but if you engage you will never forget her.

The wind and cold were terrible, around 12 F with the wind chill, very cold end for a PCP air rifle. The sun was mostly out between the snowing white outs, but I had one day to go in the last two weeks, and Glimmer needed field time.

I had to sight in the rifle and in 15 mph winds that wasn’t easy, and I still need to really dial it in, which I hope to be able to do Thursday.

The rifle is an RTI Prophet Performance Compact with the 177 configuration barrel kit. Pellets JSB Hades flying at 880 FPS which comes out to around 18 FPE. Barrel is a CZ. Moderator DonnyFL Tanto mounted on an AccuTac Bipod.

When I arrived at the dairy I said my regards to the hands there, and did a sight in. I had realigned the scope just before going out so I needed to start from scratch. After a magazine I got things pretty dialed in, but more work to do.

The first shot was on a collared dove, ranged with my Halo 450 at 55 yards. I didn’t get a clean first partially due to wind drift, but the second Hades did the job. Still 55 yards with a 177 in 15 mph winds isn’t bad.

The next was a pigeon at around 30 yards, the Hades went clean through and did a remarkable job at taking down the quarry.

After the shot I saw the dairyman and his kids clearing snow for the cattle do they could have their hay. The dairyman was about 15 feet away when I fired a shot into the ground and I asked him if he heard it, and he said no, and so I am doing my job, being effective and not disturbing the neighborhood.

Anyways, I have to admit I froze my ass off, but Glimmer held up and considering this was only the second time I really fired the gun, I am happy. The 22 cal barrel kit is supposed to be sent this week, which should also be CZ. however, i am going to fun the 177 for a bit before switching over.

In this configuration, I can safely safe Glimmer is one of a kind in Idaho at least.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Wood Military camouflage

Snow Machine gun Air gun Freezing Gun barrel

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Camera accessory Gun barrel

Sky Cloud Wood Rectangle Composite material

·
Registered
130 Posts
Been looking at a PCP for a long time. Leaning hard towards 22. They look pricey to some I know. I am trying to thin down to a few that are in a range of what I would play with more. Looked at Hatsan bullpup just yesterday.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@JSH yes, going PCP is not cheap, compared to firearms, but much less cost on the ammo end. One gun a lot people love for under $500 is the Artemis P35 now Snowpeak, same company.

If you want to go to the $1000 range the Airgun Technology Vixen standard or long is a deal, IF you purchase if from Krale in the Netherlands. $500 cheaper than in USA. It is a tier 1 gun. People say that Airgun Technology guns are so accurate it makes shooting boring. Krale is a top tier store and I have been there several times in person when I lived in the Netherlands, and a lot of people in USA buy from them. I bought my former FX Impact MKII Compact from then along with gun safe, air ants, countless pellets and scopes. Staff is great. Honestly, for the money i think the Vixen is one of the best deals out there. Also, check the used gun section daily from Airguns of Arizona, I have seen $1200 guns there for as low as $400. Or going Airgun Nation and look at the classifieds. Occasionally some real bargains come up in the classifieds especially on Daystate Huntsman’s, about as pretty a pcp as you’ll ever see but a real field gun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts