Varmint Hunters Forum banner

flintlock report #2

839 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  george in KY 
#1 ·
Left the house at 3:00 today and went back to the farm where I got the doe last week. I wanted to try another spot but as I walked down there there was like 6 inches of standing water where I wanted to sit. That ain't gonna work! So I went back to the same spot I killed the doe.

I spooked 5 out of the fencerow getting in. No shot at running deer over 200 yards. I settled in and watched 10 more come out of the thicket, but 800 yards away on the next farm.

About 4:45 I had 4 fawns come out in the field by me, about 150 yards away. Then a bigger doe and another fawn. They fed my way slowly. Patience.

The North wind died, got switchy, and I thought they were going to bust me. Took awhile for them to come across and they kept switching places. I lost track of the bigger doe, but think she was hanging in the back.

I was running out of shooting light and was set up on the bog pod again. All I had to do was lean onto it, pointed right at them.

I decided to try the first one that got close enough and this big button buck was the one. He was a good bit in front of the others and stopped just about above the tip of my gun barrel in the pic above. Quartering to me a little, I settled the bead on his shoulder and touched it off. You REALLY have to aim and follow thru with a flintlock and this time I didn't let it distract me. I clearly saw fur fly, and he hunched and stumbled away about 50 yards before going down. Perfect shot, right where I aimed and exited the off side in front of the ham.

Luckily, this one wasn't a bad drag. I had my deer cart in the truck and was able to get him home and skinned out in an hour.

I don't like to shoot fawns, especially button bucks, but this guy was pretty big for his age. Probably 80 pounds live. The farmer clearly has a deer problem, and is really happy another deer is taken off the place. He will definitely be tasty! Backstraps and eggs for breakfast. 😋

Guys lease the bedding thicket next door and only shoot bucks. Certainly not helping things. Too many deer is not a good thing. I haven't seen a single horn on the farm this year!

I still have my flintlock tag, which is good for buck or doe, and there's a week left in the season. I ain't shooting another doe!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.