Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The section header says General Discussion, so I'll risk being flamed.:rolleyes:

I have to go to Fort Lauderdale Feb. 7 for business and one week later I have to be in Jacksonville for business. I'm thinking of just staying down there, taking a few vacation days and enjoying the weather.

Cindy may go with me and says she'd like to try saltwater fishing. One fish that's on my dream list is a big tarpon and lower Florida is a great place for them, but it appears that the main run doesn't kick in until April or May. I guess a sailfish, marlin or big shark would be a reasonable substitute. :)

Do any of you guys have a favorite guide, boat or port somewhere between Lauderdale and the Keys. And if you know Florida salt fishing at this time of year, what's the best fish for me to target? Any tips about booking in advance vs. just walking the docks and taking my chances? Do you know of Florida or saltwater fishing forums where I might get reputable advice?

I've done quite a bit of party boat fishing and have never been overly impressed. I'd rather spend a little more this time for a shared charter and go for something a little bigger.

Thanks for any help you can provide, guys. Obviously I don't have all that much time between now and Feb. 8, so I need to get busy planning.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have family in WPB area.....

My brother in law and nephew are fish-a-holics, and could actually guide for a living down in that area you are talking about. So Ill get ahold of them over the weekend, and give you a PM about what they can advise.

I do know that they had their boat out the other day, and fished the jettys and inlet areas. They live in Loxahatchee, Fla.

get your saltwater gear ready :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hello KY Fisherman, Try to contact a boat called YoungGuns in the Lauderdale area,The Captain is the son of a 25 yr hunting buddy,Tell them you got the lead from a friend of Will Youngs,Will is the DAD,I Hunt with him in Mississipi at Wait A Minute Hunt Club.Also check out www.southfloridasportfishing.com Your only enemy this time of year is the wind. Sailfishing off SE FL should be good. Lots of options.
Good Luck, Wish I was going, Miss the saltwater fishing.
M.F.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
This week Ill get you his numbers

Then you can call any time you want, and talk with them. I mentioned it to my sister, and she said they would be happy to help you, after they get back home monday night.

regards/john

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Sent the contact info in a PM just now, let me know if you dont get it.

Not sure with the board acting so slow.

good luck & safe travels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts