Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twas on the old board that I posted about a screamin' deal I may get on a Rem 721 in 300 H&H with a damaged bolt. It was at my gunsmith's and the owner was mad that he bought it without looking at the bolt, which was pretty beat. Wouldn't eject at all, he had to put the bolt in a vise and use pliers on the empty brass.
Several of you recommended Gre-Tan Rifles for the bolt repair, so I bought the rifle and sent the bolt off with fingers crossed. Bolt came back today, complete with Sako extractor, and looks great. Oughta work just fine.
For those of you who missed the original post, I bought the rifle for $50, two sets of dies for $20, and had the bolt repaired and shipped insured for $137.
If you are keeping track, that's a $207 investment in a 721 Long Action barrelled in .300 H&H with a very nice muzzle brake and LimbSaver recoil pad.
Merry Christmas to me!

6mmRemington

·
Registered
411 Posts
H&H stands for hold on and hammer them!

should make one hell of a squirrel gun or a prairie dog gun.... LOL

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah: meet my new rockchucker!! I can load 125gr Ballistic Tips at 3600fps, and I'm hoping that with the brake I'll be able to watch my own artwork- you know, rock art, tree art, stump art, and so on. This was my best splat of '06 and was done with a .22-250 :D The full-size picture is better, but this guy really painted the rock.

6mmRemington

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mike:
Hope you had to pack that Chuck back to the point of impact for the picture? He looks awful intact for a hit from us Western Rockchuckers?????...Once you get on a couple with that 300 H&H you best wear your hiking boots your going to need them to gather up what is left for a photo...My personnel best is 176 in a year all with a Rem700 Sendero in .300 Win Mag with a 180 gr Ballisti Tip.Hits were like watching the Apollo Moon Shot just much more satisfying.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More gore!

Nope, this was actually a pretty trick shot. I think I hit his chest right where it contacted the rock. I thought I'd missed (unlikely, but no air time) and then he started twitching and scrabbling at the rock. He slid back down off it, then pulled himself up over the face and flopped dead. Top view:

Pretty gooey! I flipped him over and he was pretty much gone from the spine forward. 55gr PSP at ~3600 did a number on him. Really really really want to try the 125gr Ballistic Tip at that speed. :D

6mmRemington

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey that rock pile looks familiar :cool: .......Haven't been hanging around any plumbers that like snatching hunting spots?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Plumbers? Why Smack, whatever do you mean? :rolleyes:

Nope, this was kind of a surprise. Another friend and I were out tooling around and I thought I saw a chuck, so we did a little glassin' and there they were. We left some for seed though!

6mmRemington

·
Registered
876 Posts
That is a nice chuck.

where in N.c washington are you guys? Would you be interested in guiding an Idaho boy on a chuck shoot when it warms up? E-mail me [email protected]ks Tyler in N. Idaho.

·
Registered
12,610 Posts
told ya

Twas on the old board that I posted about a screamin' deal I may get on a Rem 721 in 300 H&H with a damaged bolt. It was at my gunsmith's and the owner was mad that he bought it without looking at the bolt, which was pretty beat. Wouldn't eject at all, he had to put the bolt in a vise and use pliers on the empty brass.
Several of you recommended Gre-Tan Rifles for the bolt repair, so I bought the rifle and sent the bolt off with fingers crossed. Bolt came back today, complete with Sako extractor, and looks great. Oughta work just fine.
For those of you who missed the original post, I bought the rifle for $50, two sets of dies for $20, and had the bolt repaired and shipped insured for $137.
If you are keeping track, that's a $207 investment in a 721 Long Action barrelled in .300 H&H with a very nice muzzle brake and LimbSaver recoil pad.
Merry Christmas to me!

6mmRemington
told ya greg is the man when it come's to bolt work !.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where in N.C. Washington are you guys? Would you be interested in guiding an Idaho boy on a chuck shoot when it warms up? E-mail me [email protected]ks Tyler in N. Idaho.
Tyler-

That's funny, we've been thinking about a chuck trip to Idaho! I've heard the south part of the state has a bunch. Who's been there? Road Trip!
You're welcome over here anytime.

6mmRemington

·
Registered
876 Posts
Road trip!

That sounds AWESOME! seriously; e-mail me. Are you near Republic, or Tonasket??

·
Registered
876 Posts
Road trip!

A road trip sounds AWESOME! Seriously; e-mail me. Are you near Republic or Tonasket?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Tyler:
PM me your e-mail I have same large private areas I have soul permision to hunt (central WA)some have not even been hunted for chucks just picked them up this fall.....I like to keep to the longer stuff(shots) in my spots..A couple here and there at 200yrds but the majority 300+yrds 500 not being out of the norm....Due to the range and the heavy spring/early summer winds you need a good flat shooting wind bucking cartridge and I can't say enough about good optics spotting scope and scope.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tyler:

Haven't been ignoring you, just been at work all day. SMACK and I live near Wenatchee, pretty much dead center in the state.
Let's all three hook up this spring- I'll bring the video camera! :D

6mmRemington

·
Registered
876 Posts
Hey Smack and 6mm medical persons

You guys have P.M.!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back atcha! Email sent, we'll take this off the board so 'Forlorn Hope' or whatever his name was doesn't whine about bandwidth. Hey, if you're out there, why are you reading this?

6mmRemington

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now I need brass!

Since I've got rifle and dies, I need brass. Looked in Cabela', since I got a gift cert for Christmas. No luck. I'd prefer Winchester if I can find it.
Anybody?

6mmRemington

1 - 18 of 18 Posts