Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is always fires to deal with during the dry time of the year. The winds shifted and picked up about 3pm. It reminded me of when I lived in the mid west and a storm was ready to hit. This is the view as we left the restaurant. It is smoke from the fires in the Jefferson wilderness. It is to early for street lights, but they are on. They are calling for gusts up to 75 mph. It is going to get worse before it gets better.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is 10:15 and there is a fine layer of ash on our cars now.The last time I saw that was when Mt St Helens blew in 1980.

·
Administrator
2,985 Posts
I hope you and yours will come thru okay. I feel sorry for those folks in California right now.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
My son has been evacuated for 3+ weeks right now because of the fires in Santa Cruz County, CA. He lives about 10-15 miles from Big Basin Park. The oldest state park in CA (since 1901) burned down all the buildings and structures, and 1500 homes so far. 86,000 acres burned, and still burning. His house is safe so far, thank God.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That is tough Tinman. These fires can cover so much ground before you can clear out.
The one “near” us is probably 75 miles away. It is in an official wilderness area meaning during regular times it is illegal to enter with a motorized vehicle. It is fought with air tankers, choppers and hotshot firefighters. There is only one large community Oregon called Sunriver that I know of that has the potential to burn like they do in CA.
There was one a few years ago that burned around a lake and the main road over the Cascades to central Oregon. It was heart breaking to see everything charred, massive firs just black sticks. Now it is greening up with ground cover and it is pretty in a strange way. This is a picture of the one burning now.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Dean in CO sent me a photo of the Sun at about noon I think

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok now it is getting serious. I am not in danger but the area we call the canyon is evacuating. I live on the eastern edge of the Willamete Valley. Hwy 22 winds through the canyon, up over the Santiam Pass to the east side of the Cascades. The town of Mill City 1/2 hr from me has evacuated. The state fair grounds that I pass on the way to work has a parking lot full of cars of evacuees. I pulled into a neighbors drive way to take this. The city view is from my daughters house

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
It's amazing how fast wind blown flames travel.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I want to build one more and we want to down size. I just want to be able to pick what I get rid of.
This picture was taken at 3:15. By 3:30 it was not safe to drive with out headlights on.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Update from Lee today...

We are safe but I am a little up tight.
The first picture is ash on my truck. The second one is ash on a flat roof at work. East of here 10 miles people have lost everything. I know two families that got burned out. A 12 year old and his grandma didn't make it out that I have heard of. The winds have shifted some and are much calmer. There is a 70 mile stretch of highway to the East that is closed. It is all a recreational hunting fishing camping area. They have concentrated on getting people out more than fighting the fires. To the west of us an hour and 15 minutes is the ocean. Part of that is a corridor were no logging was allowed. It has been a beautiful drive,it's all gone. The problem has been high winds very dry ground, trees blowing into power lines.
A good friend was flooding the John Day river last summer there was a wildfire on the banks, sagebrush and
Juniper were burning. He said it was moving across the ground faster than you could run. Helicopters were pulling water from the river where they were going by.

It is only 64 out and it was calling for 90+ but with the smoke it like a cloud cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Charlie, it is looking like the area around me is burning out and we are ok. Much of the state is really hurting.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Prayed. Had not been paying attention.

There is a lot to pray about...and be thankful for.

Stay safe..go when it is time.

Best
Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts