Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Lee case spinner with a 45ACP case is perfect for holding 223 sized cases for annealing. Drop a case into the 45, spin it with the drill/driver and hold in the flame then tip into a heat proof bowl. Repeat. A 308 size shellholder will work fine to hold the 45 case. Takes about 5 seconds per case. Sweet!

Will have to find a combination of shellholder and brass to cut off to fit the 308 sized cases. Lets see, maybe a 284 case whacked off a bit or maybe even a 338. Who said something about a lazy guy finding a easy way to do something!

Load safe, shoot often.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Cool!

A Lee case spinner with a 45ACP case is perfect for holding 223 sized cases for annealing. Drop a case into the 45, spin it with the drill/driver and hold in the flame then tip into a heat proof bowl. Repeat. A 308 size shellholder will work fine to hold the 45 case. Takes about 5 seconds per case. Sweet!

Will have to find a combination of shellholder and brass to cut off to fit the 308 sized cases. Lets see, maybe a 284 case whacked off a bit or maybe even a 338. Who said something about a lazy guy finding a easy way to do something!

Load safe, shoot often.
SHEESH! Just when I was getting used to burning my fingers!:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brass Holder

I use a spring loaded pick-up tool to hold my brass. The kind with the flexible spring handle and the four little claws on the end. I just expand the claws, insert the brass, turn the brass in the flame, and then squeeze the handle to drop the brass into the water. Sounds confusing but it is very simple and the tools are cheap.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I simply use a rat-tail file out of my set of needle files. Stick the file in the primer hole, spin the case in the flame, drop it off the file when ready. Easy.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I set my brass in a metal pan with enough water in it to cover the brass when laying flat. I stand the brass up, take a torch to it, when it's hot, knock it over and go to the next. Dun it fer years.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I do it the same way as Larry.......

I must have done at least three 55gallon drums of brass this way working for a commercail reloader when I was a teenager.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like this way because it does not need to be deprimed and the case can be cleaned and sized after annealing. Saves running it throught the sizing die twice. Also heats very evenly around the case.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I set my brass in a metal pan with enough water in it to cover the brass when laying flat. I stand the brass up, take a torch to it, when it's hot, knock it over and go to the next. Dun it fer years.
I do it the same way. Except I put a board across the top of the pan, put 6 rounds nearly touching each other in a group (bunched up). heat em up and tip the board

It's a hell of a lot faster than doing them one at a time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use a PC parts pick-up tool

Similar or identical to the tool Dick mentions. I robbed mine from a PC repair tool kit that I have. Works just as well whether I'm annealing 17 hornet or 444 marlin cases for my JDJs. The spring-loaded claws grip the case head firmly enough to twirl in the flame and a push on the end of the tool releases it quickly. It's quick to load and unload too. However, the batch methods described may be best if you're annealing a bushel cases. For the few cases that I anneal at a time, I prefer to do them individually.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I put the 1/4" drive adapter in my cordless screwdriver and then select the appropriate size socket 1/4" drive socket that will hold the case I intend to anneal. I then insert the case in the socket, spin in the flame of a propane torch, and drop into a coffe can filled with water at the appropriate time.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
....and I thought I knew EVERYTHING~!

I just had in the last few years spun my 17AH cases on a bamboo spear [local grocery store] stuck into the flash hole, and dropped them into can of water.
HOWEVER,,,I like your idea better. Gonna try it.
Does the neck/case 'wobble' when spun, or does the empty holder case hold it true enough? Guess there must be the 'right' case for everything out there.
NOW I know why I keep a lot of empties I have no gun for!:D

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's what I do too Alan

a bamboo spear [local grocery store] stuck into the flash hole

I use a toothpick chucked into my cordless drill. The drill has a battery with a flat bottom which will sit on the bench. I lock the drill on the desired speed with a pan of water in front of it and stick them on the spinning toothpick via the flash hole, heat with the torch and flick them off with a butter knife into the water.
The drill never stops, torch in one hand, knife in the other and I can anneal a boat load of cases in short order. And they're all very even because of the spinning case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts