Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a nice gun what do you guys think??? I'm sure it could shoot better than I can hold it. Not sure on the price yet as it was more than I wanted to spend.at over a $1000
like new remington 700 limited edition, thumb hole stock, ss
fluted barrel 250 to 300 rounds though it.

trigger has been done (bout 1.9 pounds)

Lugs have been lapped

barrel has been reset for tighter head space

true'd face on bolt

barrel has been lapped

stock has been relived of pressure spotts, and action has been
beaded

also have a nikon monarch 4.5x16x44 on it with burris rings/bases
that have been true'd and lapped....

All work done by Spearfish Gunsmithing

Gun shoots 1/2moa

·
Registered
142 Posts
New Rifle

Sounds like a fair deal to me; maybe not great, but fair, especially if it shoots 1/2". You might spend $700-800 on a new Rem 700 only, $300 for the Nikon scope or so and then have to pay more for the accuracy work if the rifle doesn't shoot as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
For that kind of $, I would look at a used Cooper. Course if you know for sure it will shoot 1/2", at least you're not taking an unknown risk.
I had a bunch of work done on a 22-250 Remington, putting a new take-off bbl on it. Never could get that gun to shoot, and finally put it on the road. I keep having flashbacks everytime I see a Remington.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sounds OK...Go for it

Snow
If the piece shoots that well and it has all the work you listed, and the scope, it is not a bad deal. Worst case is you wind up maybe having to rebarrel if it absolutely won't shoot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Snow...

where are you from?
If you are from the area, Mat will probally let you take it to the range and try it out first (if its used). I have purchased guns from him before and have been satisfied with his work. He has thrown in a triger job or two on new rifles if you twist his arm :) .
Fred

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If you want to spend alittle more I have a cousin that has a 700 Rem. for sale too. It`s a .22-284 with a 1 in 8 twist. Has a 6 1/2 x 20 Leupold scope with blictac matched ratical for the 80 gr. Serria bullet at 3,540 fps. It shoots just under 1 in. at 200 yrds., 1/2 moa. It has about 200 rounds through it, and comes with dies, 500 rounds of formed brass and about 400 rounds of new 284 brass. He`s getting where he`s haveing alot of trouble getting around giveing up hunting. He`s asking $ 1,800 for all. Sound like alot, but go have one set up like this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's a done deal. I got it down to $950 so I think that's not to bad. Also got a muzzle brake on it since he works at the gun shop. Thanks guys for all your help. Hopefully he can tell me what load the gun likes so I might be off to the reloading threads.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Spearfish gunsmithing?

Are we talking about Matt Strickland? If so, his work is top notch. He built a 6 BR for me and two others for friends with the same reamer. All of them shoot great. I had the reamer done for a 262 neck and short throated for 55-65 gr bullets.
He also built a 17 AH, 17 M IV, K'D a Hornet and a bunch of other projects for friends.
You mention a gunshop. Did he finally open his own shop and move out of the basement shop??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yup

Mat is now located in a strip mall next door to the old Buckstop shop. Before that you could either drop work off at the Buckstop (simple stuff) or meet him at his basement shop on his days off from the saw mill. I think he likes this arrangement a lot better.
Fred

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.