Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa brought me a new FX5 for Christmas with about 50 sounds on it. It has many that I will never use, either because I don't hunt dall sheep, or they are illegal to use in my state (hen turkey, for example). My question is this: if you were downloading some additional sounds from the Foxpro website, which would you consider 'must have' for varminting? Which sounds have proven most attractive to coyotes and fox in your experience?

TIA,
vardoc

·
Registered
299 Posts
Illegal for predators.?

.. I think, and we know what that's worth, that it's OK to use those for predator calling.. Coyote are called in at the club while the guys are turkey hunting.. I'd hate to think I couldn't use them (although it may be a good thing to avoid using them during turkey season sitting there with a rifle and all camo'd up)..

..On your question.. Red & Gray Fight is always a winner.. Dying Crow and Crow/Hawk Fight are a must for crow calling.. The ever present wood pecker.. Coyote pup whines have worked.. As have all rabbits at one time or another..

.. Heck, as far as I can tell any kindof "mammilian misery sounds" will bring in "something" sometime.. And if nothing else will provide great entertainment during deer season with your non-predator calling friends who aren't so familiar with remote control calling devices :D :rolleyes: d:^) Jake

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sounds...

Some of the sounds we might consider oddball sounds are THE best. They represent the natural FOOD of the critters you are hunting. Think outside the rabbit only box and remember turkeys get munched on a regular basis! When a coyote has had 20 guys try to fool him with a bawling rabbit, he just might be easier to fool with a feeding mallard call in a streambed or a turkey hen call in the woods. Personally I do best on fox with higher pitched bird sounds. They are non threatening and represent an easy meal for fox or coyotes. Blue jay, woodpecker, mallards, chicken etc, are my favorites. Don't forget some dying crow calls, **** calls, etc. It adds to you hunt and extends YOUR season!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Listen to "Pheasant in Distress" sometime. That sound will raise the hackles on YOUR neck! Very, very strange - but if the pheasants in your neighborhood are as scarce as they are in mine, the foxes and coyotes will definitely hear it as the dinner bell.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jake, I meant you cannot use electronic turkey calls during turkeyseason. It's OK, as far as I know, if you use it for varmints. Thanks for your thoughts.

V.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the coyote death call on my FX3. Thought I would never use it,but tried it about a dozen times & it brought a spooked coyote back at least twice. Both times resulting in another dead coyote!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have the coyote death call on my FX3. Thought I would never use it,but tried it about a dozen times & it brought a spooked coyote back at least twice. Both times resulting in another dead coyote!!
That's one of the sounds I have loaded as a preset on my FX5 remote. It's P2, right next to my main go-to jack rabbit distress sound on P1. If I'm working multiple coyotes, I can hit the death cry instantly with one button push. Nice feature!

- DAA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts