Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to predator hunting and am looking for a quality call on a budget. I know FoxPro products have good ratings but I wondered if anyone had used their entry level call (the Spitfire)and how it worked. Also if anyone has other recommedations for budget friendly calls.

·
Administrator
12,031 Posts
Welcome to the site.

You can't go wrong with FOXPRO. They're "entry" level call is probably better than my old Foxpro 48 that's about 10 yrs old and still going strong. They've fixed it free when I broke the horn speaker and changed sounds several times over the years for me. Their customer service is unrivaled. Go for it.

Charlie

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
+1 on Charlie's post

Foxpro is the call that their competition "wants" to be.IMHO

Agree that their calls work, and although I've never had an opportunity to use them, I hear nothing but the best from their customer service dept.

Welcome to the site!! :)WD

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have a spitfire and it works great. I would however like it to be louder since I hunt open country.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have a Spitfire. Compared to FoxPro's higher priced models, it only has one speaker, which makes it more "directional" than the 2-speaker models. It isn't as loud, but IMHO it's more than loud enough for use in eastern woodlands. It only stores 24 sounds, fewer than the higher priced models. There's only five volume levels, so the jumps in volume from one to the next are a little coarse. And the higher priced models have assorted bells and whistles the Spitfire does not.

It's also cheaper, smaller and lighter than the other FoxPro models (except the one non-remote capable model). It runs on 4 AA batteries and I've used mine 10-11 hours straight on NiMH rechargeables at full volume trying to attract purple martins to my birdhouse (and it was still going strong). If it's wanting in sound quality, none on the animals I've called in with mine seem to have cared.

You can get a NIB Spitfire on eBay for $180 but you don't get to pick your 24 sounds.

FoxPro also sells refurbed units now. A refurbed Spitfire is $150. The warranty for refurbed is the same as new, and you still get to pick which 24 sounds you want sent with it. The unit only has one PC board in it so there's really only one component to replace in a refurb. If you have confidence in their customer support (and their customer support is very good), the only downside to the refurbed unit is it comes in a plain cardboard box.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I don't have one, but a friend does have one.
I have an old FX3, but if I was going to buy a NEW Caller it would be the Spitfire.
It does everything you would want it to do. (the one time I was out with the Spitfire, it called in a Coyote)

·
Registered
246 Posts
FoxPro

One more here for Foxpro. Not sure about the Spitfire but one thing that sold me on them was the ability to change and add calls without sending it in. If you are still pricing them check on Allpredatorcalls. I ordered a unit from them on a Sunday night and they programed the calls I picked and had it out Monday.

Jerry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own 2 Foxpro units, with one being the Spitfire. The Spitfire is a good call overall, however, there are some issues with it for me.

One, the volume is definitely lower. When you need higher volume, & you WILL at times, it will not be there like it would be with the other models. However, buying their external speaker does solve that for the most part (which I did).

Also, I've had problems with the mute button & the call itself not working at times. Probably in colder weather if memory serves me right? Lithium batteries may help, but they did not in my case on more than one ocassion.

If you do a search on Cabelas & Bass Pro (or others?), they all give approx a 4 + star rating. A good one for sure. However, if you READ their comments, there is a fair number saying the same thing I did above, & thus I have no idea why it's rated so high. Perhaps the Foxpro name?

I do agree that Foxpro's service is next to none, as I have sent mine back several times with FAST results. Also, Foxpro IS the only E caller I would own.

I personally would be inclined to spend the extra hundred $$ on the Wildfire. If you go to Foxpro's website you will see approx a half dozen reasons it should be a better call. The Wildfire was not available when I bought my spitfire, as I would have bought that if it had been.

Just saying how I see / hear it... Good luck in your decision

Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts