Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling the hide off this coyote last night and ending up pulling on a dry spot or an old wound . With one good pull I just about ripped the bottom half off the pelt. It was about 3/4's ripped straight around. After about an hour and 10 minutes later and a few choice words ;) , I had him sewn back up. We'll see after he's stretched and dried how well I did. I've never had to sew a tear that big before. We'll also see if something like that can be hidden.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yikes!

I did that a couple years ago, but decided the effort was not worth it. Plus, I had a crummy needle to sew with. What did you use and what kind of thread is that?

Vardoc

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looks like you did a neat job. I never had to sew a hole that big, but when I did sew I used one of those U-shaped upholstery needles and regular heavy thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a a regular sized leather needle and upholstery thread that my mom gets at the local sewing store. It works great for me.

Vardoc, I never tried a "project" that big before so I thought I'd give it a try. Also I hate wasteing stuff and I just couldn't just give up on it.

After hearing years and years of trapping / fur boom folklore about how so and so was great at sewing that he took 2 wrecked coyote pelts and sewed them together, sold them and no one knew the difference. I wanted to prove them wrong . But now I think it might be possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Job!

I have sewn quite afew myself over the years. The pic shows some nice stitching. I was wondering what kind of a stitch that is? Does it have a name and maybe you could explain it. Sorry so many ????s.
Marlowe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't have a name as far as I know, I just copied it from a Van ***** catalog . You can call it "The Yoteboy Stitch" if you want . :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts