Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
32° here in Upstate NY this morning under overcast skies, there is a tiny bit of snow in the air. The high temperature will 30° and dropping through the day. The clouds will decrease and we will have a mostly sunny day with a mild wind.

Yesterday turned out to be a nice day weather wise, I stayed busy all day at home. I was out for just a little while in the afternoon, I had some errands to run and went to the bank to deposit some money. Today as far as I know I will be here at home all day, at least that is the plan.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 27 and waiting for the snow to arrive. Looking like we're getting dumped on. The storm track is changing. After the storm is more sub zero temperatures.
Yesterday a friend brought over his old shotgun from me to attempt identifying it. It's a 20ga, rolling block with a Swedish proof mark and no additional marking. It's a rifled bore, but straight, no twist.
The rest of the day was shopping for groceries in Owattona.
Today is scoop snow and scoop snow.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Good morning. It's clear and 33 in Indy heading for 39. Or so the smarter-than-I-am phone says. The dogs woke me up to go out about 3:00. Cough and congestion are back and I'm still up and not likely to go back to bed. Gonna' have a cup of hot tea and a bowl of cereal and see what happens. Probably do another virus test after a while. I felt halfway decent yesterday so I went to the pancake joint and out for Mex last night. Whatever this affliction is, it's worst in the morning and gets better later. Feeling about 100% better than I did 2 hours ago.

There are several S&W Model 53s for sale on Gunbroker. Yep, that's the .22 Jet. Bids are from $740 to $1500. A few more at much higher prices with no apparent bids. Everything you might need is available. Ammo, brass, shell holders. Haven't checked Bootbroker yet. That's right, I got nothing else to do for a while. Maybe another nothing all day.

Watched the Mecum auction from Kissimmee yesterday. Lots of cool cars going across the block. One guy sold a collection of Camaros. Nine of 'em, all 1969s. Several went for well over $100K. Chivirus hasn't hurt the collector car market.

Hey Sam, how you doing? Hey Bill, how's everybody at your place? Praying for y'all.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
13,724 Posts
Mornin boys...
35 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
1 more day at the grind, then, guess we'll watch for the snow
they say is coming this weekend.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 30 going to33 with a stiff N wind and cloudy skies. Sure don't know what I will get into today, but you can bet it will be where there's heat. Doug, if you would buy one of those models 53 for me. I would write you a real nice Thank You note :) In all honesty a person can shoot only one gun at a time and at my age why have more than I can use? Be safe Prayers to all and country. I sure hope Sam is mending well. Mike

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
morning all. 25 with high of upper 30s today, we did hit 50 yesterday for about a hour. Nice day!
Good chance of snow and wind this afternoon and night, mini blizzard on the way. Looks like Bruce will get lots of dirt blowing there.
Feeling better so far today, Gwyn still down but slept good last night, still coughing though. More cattle drugs for her today!
I even got a little work done in the shop yesterday, and a couple good naps in. But still can't hit a damcoyote! Maybe this morning,
switched rifles!!!
Better get moving along, chores needing done and hope fully some work, work.
Prayers for all you with health issues and thanks for the prayers for us, keep them coming.
Have a great FRIDAY and be safe.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Administrator
13,014 Posts
Good morning folks! Happy POETS day for you working folk. Got a sprinkle on the windshield on the way to work. It's 38 headed for maybe 40 by noon and will be 29 by 5pm. Gets worse from there. They still don't know where this storm will track. I've seen 1-3" snow then rain and I've seen 5-8" snow and ice. Rather have the 1-3. Tomorrow is going to be damcold and windy. My bud said if I want I can come up and hunt with him. He manages a church camp and said I can sit in a nice warm building in the woods. Sounds like a great idea to me. We'll see. I have some chores to do before the storm gets here. Need to find a little coal, almost out. May have to run aways and get bagged. Too late for a delivery.

Well, I guess I should get busy. Tons to do at work and one of our guys is working from home...his mom got the chi-flu and he can't be in here. More work on my shoulders...just great.

Prayers offered. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Great morning folks,

Windy and cold at 21° with cloud cover here near HalfwayUSA. Colder on the way soon too.

Old hunting partner is getting along ok but I can see he much more easily tired by simply walking 50 feet. We got most of his errands handled but he didn't want to do the last one, going into the bank. He said, it can wait. Chores around his place got checked off & I got more junk out of his garage. I did make it home before dark for the first time in two months.

My own chores will need attention today.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 37º and cloudy here headed for the upper 50's. It looks like the rain will move in tomorrow morning.

Yesterday's big event was taking the Cat back to the Vet for a blood draw to check how Her Thyroid med is working and they appear to be doing their job. We picked up burgers from our favorite burger joint and dined on the parking lot. I started the tumbler after we got home and finished the 9mm brass. Next up is the 223 brass.

Todays plans are to make a grocery run and a Walmart run. And probably Sam's. Fun fun! I'll start tumbling 223'3 after we get back. I picked up some better than normal brass last year. I had several Norma and RWS. And lots of crimped primer pockets!

Prayers offered for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need.

Y'all have a good one.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
GM from Back in the sticks returned safely from Justin's house yesterday. We about froze out being away from our wood stove..
KF, I made a run back to Sam's Club and ate lunch there. I had that Big hot dog, drink and Brownie Sundae. JB had one of those large slices of a Pizza just out of the oven. Their Sundaes are $1.58 and DQ similiar item is $4.08. Glad I don't live closer.

I lassoed another Coyote while I was gone. I found a trail under a HiTensile fence while Snow was on. I had to drive a truck axle in the ground for an anchor, steal a flower pot hook from JB to hang snare cable set about a foot back from the HOT Fence. He came back right thru the same steps and got lassoed.

Mongoose Meerkat Plant Carnivore Felidae

You can see the axle and flower pot hook.

Carnivore Plant Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal

Male about 35# and was Coyote #11. I may be about out of Coyotes but if it snows, we will see. I didn't Pet this one; I don't want to get Soft hearted and fall in love with Coyotes.
I have a cow near delivery; probably where the Coyote was headed...need to go check on her.

Have a safe day and stay outta the Sam's Club snack bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Morning all, 29 headed to 46 today in KY. Winter mix this weekend, and your guess is as good as the weathermans, forecast from 1-40 inches, crazy. Wife has to run some errands this am, I may accompany and wseait in the car. Overall seeing improvement day to day, doing exercises 3x a day is helping. I am getting bored sitting reading or on the net, may start working int the shop a couple of hours a day next week. You all have a good one, prayers for those that need them, Buff out,

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Up early this morning, headed to the PCP in 10 or so minutes. Fasting blood sugar and other lab work on the agenda. Can't wait until I get home and have some breakfast.

Doug, anything that is not polymer framed have gone out of sight. If the S&W are high, don't even bother looking at Colt revolvers.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
31 in the hollow under partly cloudy skies, looks like we could make 50 before the temp starts to fall.
My main concern right now is my eyes, specifically the right one. Went to the eye clinic for a follow up yesterday and the pressure in my right eye was high enough that I was forbidden to leave before they brought it down. So, new meds etc. It's blood shot this morning and I'll be calling them about it shortly.
The new meds are supposed to make me lethargic, wonder if that will be more than usual? Our pet buck is still showing up and has made friends with one of the westies. Probably not good for him tobe friends with people. Had three shootable bucks cross my front yard yesterday, one was and eight point in the 130-140 class. We are currently on snow watch here as a couple others have mentioned. It should move in on Saturday night.

G'day Y'all,
Rick
Let's go Brandon!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I went back to bed after the 6:00 walk and the sheets caught me and wouldn’t let go. So, here I am, late to the A.M. party. It’s 29 degrees and that’s the high for today and the wind is brisk and frisky out of the northeast. So. It sounds like lake effect snow to me. It’s winter again.
I sent out two ring dies to customers in Arizona and they both arrived a day earlier than predicted by USPS tracking. What a turn about from a lost wrench incident and insurance claim A month ago. Someone lost an action wrench somewhere on the way to Colorado. I filed an insurance claim and collected on that. In filing the claim after I hit send I noticed that I double clicked for the claim. I figured USPS would notice that and not pay and have me send again. But no. They payed the double claim. I’ll just wait and see if they catch that error.
Coyote Slayer is doing good in Kentucky. Now, if he’d eat the livers……..we could give him another name and make a movie about him.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Good Morning from the ☀ shores of Medico in Venice Florida not Italy.
64 to a high of mid 70's .
Finally got a good night sleep without coughing and hacking . The hound slept all night last night he has been a little under the weather as well . This hound went in his crate the very first night he was from his litter mates he has never had a accident since he will wake you up which he did 5 times night before last to go out . He looks like he is possibly coming back around as well .
Well today we go a do a inspection on the new place at 13:00 . The little old lady that has been looking at ours told us she will let us know Saturday if she wants ours . Her daughter says yes . We shall see.
Was planning on shooting some this week that all got shoved to the side . Contacted one of the guys at Manatee and told him I wasn't shooting this match that I didn't want to have close contact with anyone else I haven't been tested but I'm acting as if I have it .
Everyone have a great weekend and stay safe and warm 🤣🤣🌡.

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
Morning ggvg
Doug those 53s came with cylinder sleeves to shoot 22LR ...OR at least the one i had back in the 80s did.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Just saw on the news feed that 2021 was cooler than 2020 and now they‘e worried about icecaps. So much for global warming. LOL….we may freeze to death before the Chivirus gets Us. Don’t those people have anything else to do….
Catch you all later. Have to take wifey for grocery run (60 miles each way).
Dean, I don’t need any more wind.

Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

Reactions: Dean in Colo.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Good late morning, GoGo. It's 33 in Louisville, going to 43 with cloudy skies. Our chance of snow comes Sunday and is decreasing. Looks like the action will be quite a bit south of us, down toward JR, Sam and Greyfiz. OK by me.

Well, I'm happy to report your prayers have been effective in terms of my crud. I got up this morning, fixed Miss Cindy's eggs, then fixed myself a breakfast burrito. Felt like old times. It's been well over a week since I've had the energy to cook breakfast, and it felt good. Hope the energy holds up. I don't know if my fever finally broke or what, but I woke up during the night and the sheets up around my chest and head were wringing wet. Yuck! Anyway, thanks to those who've had me on you prayer lists; I think you can bump me off now. Actually, I think it was Sam who caused my recovery. Had to get over this mild crud or he was gonna have hip replacement and fully recover before I did. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Speaking of Sam, didn't he have hip replacement just a few days ago? And he's talking about riding with his wife as she runs some errands? Dang miracle man, I'm tellin' ya. Hoping Doug and HHH get over their crud quickly.

I've got a story for whoever suggested that JR try coyote liver. My brother killed one years ago, skinned it, and left the carcass hanging out in his shed, where it was plenty cold. The next day he got to looking at that yote and got to wondering if a man could eat it, in dire circumstances. He took his knife and carved a few strips off the haunch, took 'em inside and cooked 'em up. Said the smell wasn't exactly enticing, but not horrid. Being as this was a predator and the wildest of wild game, I'm sure he cooked that meat quite well done, which could explain why he described it as chewing like leather. His conclusion was that you might eat it, but you'd have to be starving.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and pray for our friends who have the crud as well as Sam and those who have regular infusions and treatments.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
44° and fog 51° for a high, no rain today they say.
Dropping the dog off at the groomers at 1:00 and then head to the range to try a friends auto 12 gauge Winchester something that he swears by. I know late to the show for you east coast guys, but legit morning post on the left bank.😁
Cartoon Vertebrate Organ Sharing Gesture

1 - 20 of 24 Posts