Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Administrator
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
35° here in Upstate NY under partly cloudy skies this morning, the high temperature for today will be up to about 37°. We will have some more showers today mainly this morning with a west wind of about 13mph.

Yesterday I was busy all day here at home, I took care of another new member and I had corresponding paperwork to do for the gun club. I got some more geneaglogy for the family tree done also. Today I have to be on the road this morning for a bit.

Prayers for all that need them.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

· Registered
2,552 Posts
Good morning from Waseca where it's 22, cloudy and 24 later. Yesterday was fighting snow. It was 5 inches deep, my drive was plowed shut, the truck was stuck and I was grumpy. At least the temp was about 30 and no wind. The snow was light. I left on a search for ice melt, getting the last two bags in town. And cleared Galen's drive so we can get in there today.
Got home and found the driveway plowed shut again. More digging and lots of ice melt and the truck was free. By that time it was too late to go shooting. And it's just mid January, how many more times will I get to do this?
Hope everyone has a great Friday,
Ken

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Great morning everyone,

Thick low clouds with dampness and 37° to begin the day here near HalfwayUSA. It appears the temperatures will drop throughout the rest of the day.

Errands were successfully run over yesterday. More stuff left my garage & is in the possession of others.

I put a coat of tactical high heat black paint on Corey's work in the morning. By late afternoon, after errands, I started putting the stove back together. Took a little more effort & wiggling to get the parts connected as the new stuff fits a bit tighter. Good news is, we are extracting BTU's from cellulose fibers again. The side benefit of that is recycling valuable carbon back into the atmosphere so trees can grow. This is what success looks like.😁

Hearth Wood Rectangle Flooring Fire screen

I'm heading to Grayling this morning. I have to register a document with probate court asking for approval to sell old hunting partner's house & property. Hopefully that approval will happen quickly and we can move on to closing soon. New buyer is still enthused and I want him to stay that way. Deb & I will stop by the house to (hopefully) retrieve the last of the "valuables" and to check on things.

There was some snow fall up that way over the past day or so but I don't see that presenting much of an obstacle.

· Registered
538 Posts
An even 30 here on my little patch of this big ol' globe with a slim chance of some light snow or rain as the day progress's. They're calling for mid 30's for a high so that's not bad for Jan. 20. The rib roast came out great, that reverse sear method never seems to disappoint. Mom did cancel as I thought she might but I'll take her a plate today so she can enjoy some. She didn't want it last night. Today I'll be taking it easy again as I've got some swelling that's uncomfortable and the ice pack feels pretty good.

Skruske, is that pipe on the front pulling in outside air or cooler air direct off the floor? I didn't plumb mine to the outside so all the air going up the chimney has to be pulled in through the cracks of the house for make up air. We don't feel any direct drafts except coming up through the old side of the basement. Not like the house is drafty or anything but we do certainly get fresh air in the house all winter long. I actually think it's more healthy to have some fresh air.
Hope you all have a great day with the weekend in sight.
Ken

· Registered
2,924 Posts
36° and only getting to 40 today. Yesterday’s trapshooting was an adventure. The wind caused some targets to dive to the ground and others to stay aloft for quite awhile. No 25’s were broken but I was pleased to hit a 22 and a 23 in those conditions.
Glad to hear Skruske’s incinerator is back up and running. HHH it looks like the Mrs had a good birthday. From the looks of the picture they are enjoying much better weather than I am right now.
Auto repair and reloading are on the agenda this weekend.
Make it a good day.

· Registered
5,170 Posts
morning all. 0 this morning and will drop about sunup. Could get a little more snow today but the wind will probably keep it out.
Going to be a cold one today for sure.
The wrecked car is now in the hands of the insurance company, we'll see what's going to happen in a few days. They have all the info that they need for now.
The other guy got the ticket so his insurance should pay, but who knows.
Worked in the shop most of the day yesterday, got that tractor finished up, now to get another out of storage and in the shop. Maybe today.
Did see one sorry, mangey coyote yesterday, got off a quick shot but missed.
Have a good FRIDAY and be safe and warm. Prayers for those with issues.
GOD BLESS. Dean

· Registered
1,575 Posts
Morning gang, it's 37* and overcast, the warm spell is over for a while. I stopped at one gun shop yesterday and they had a High Standard M-101 Plinker, the price was right and I left with me. I had one many years ago and they are good shooters, I've got Country Store duty today, it will be a cold one there today, after work I'll make sure the HS cycles ok. You all have a good one today. God Bless,

· Administrator
13,936 Posts
Good morning folks. TGIF It's 'about 40 here with a bit of wind building and some high clouds rolling thru. Supposed to be a nasty weekend weather wise. Blustery they say with some precip Sunday. Not sure what we'll get into. New 300 BO rifle upper came so I will definitely load some ammo at some point. I need to get on the firewood program, but nowhere to put it yet. I'll need to move some more wood inside and make room for more in the sheds. Lillie's 11th birthday (good Lord where'd the time go?) is Monday, not sure if we're doing anything for her this weekend or not. Depends on her basketball schedule.

Yesterday the truck inspection did not go well. Truck needed front pads and a new rotor. Along with the inspection, oil change and tire rotation, that put a pretty big dent in my wallet. Today Sue's Explorer is in for an oil change and to check on a blend actuator motor thingy issue (or whatever it's called?). The heater only blows out of the dash. Won't defrost or blow on floor. Sounds like a $50 part and $500 labor. Have to rip most of the dash out I reckon. She can pay the bill for that one!

Well, I added a bit to my "trapping" thread. Looks like you guys haven't clicked on the link??? Definitely safe and worth a look.

Have a good one!

Charlie

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Good Morning,
68 degrees headed to mid to upper 70's .
Yesterday we finished the meal and headed back to our place for about 3 hours of cards.
Not sure what the plans are for today I've been thinking about riding over to the Eastern side of the state just to look around.
Everyone have a great day and stay warm, dry and safe.
HHH

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 37º and cloudy here headed for 50 with a light North wind.

Yesterday was a slow day. The housekeeper was here most of the day so I hid out in the loading room. I tumbled that 223 brass that I have been prepping and started it to drying.

Todays big event is taking the Wife to another Doctors appointment so another morning sitting in the car on the parking lot. Not sure what we'll get into after that.

Late happy Birthday to Mrs HHH!

Prayers offered for those in need and for our Country.

Y'all have a good one.

· Premium Member
2,112 Posts
We’ve hit 33 degrees and we’ve hit the high for today, 33. Little bits of crap are falling from the sky at the moment and it looks like I could be telling you the same story all day. HHH, there is a good Italian restaurant in Pompano Beach and just off of the beach, Carlucci”s. Tell Mr. Carlucci or his daughter, Paula, that I sent you and there’ll be a little extra for you. They are right on Atlantic Blvd.
Today’s adventure will be in Jo-Ann Fabric as Jan has the quiting urge. JR. we’ll get a big piece of fabric and cut it all up so Jan can sew it all back together again.
Hey, George Foster, how far back are you on that genealogy trail? We were able to go back eight generations on both Jan’s and my side. There was a period on my mother’s side that is sketchy as the Indians were involved after they came to America and settled Detroit with Cadillac in 1701. Many of the original land plats went to our family, such as Lajeunesse, Parent, Jolie, Chene, Beaubien. Mother was a Jolie as was the Tecumseh Indian Chief, Joe Jolie. So, I don’t know.

· Registered
233 Posts
Sitting in eye doc's office. Preliminary plus dilation are behind me. Overcast so should be ok w short pause before driving.
34° n abt 7mph now. Y'day was warm, then, as predicted, temps fell w off n on showers but WIND alll day long. Charlie, you are abt a day behind what Mike, Carl n self enjoy. Donnie? Glad you asked. He gets his own special wedda on his special mountain. Not really sure I'd want to be associated w that particular app. It misses the mark too often. Heh heh.
Grandson spent a couple of days w us. He decided he was going to dig his heels in, pitch a wing ding and be generally uncooperative. It did not work out like he expected. He later had a change of heart, apologized for his actions with no hinting or prompts. A small brick in the growing up foundation was hopefully layed, laid? I still don't have that squared away. Is that in the transitive/intransitive baliwick? Someplace else? Whatever...
Will stop in Aldis, hit an indoor booth garage sale, White Castle and maybe Harbor Frt. afterwards.
I finally produced some SHINY brass last week using a small Lyman Turbo w walnut. I put a splash of denatured alky in. Shazam. I followed w some straps of paper towel and have some more cut and ready. I think l'll. Put a batch in the small cement mixer and get that batch cleaned up. It will prob take several cycles to make a dent in the grunge.
Well, Dinah's kitchen table arrived yday w six chairs. They do sit well. Some aggravation involved for me but she doesn't fuss when my reloading pkgs arrive........
Just met a GS svc dog waiting for eyes to normalize. She was 104# which is very large. Even more so for a female. Iirc standards for a GS was a bit less. Maybe AKC has changed, maybe not. She was a sweetheart. Got my pup fix for the week. :)
Heading out, Tom out.

· Registered
3,646 Posts
After a low of 37 we are up to 39 and might make the mid 40s with some clouds. Had lunch with the rinky dinks (HS mascot, a Ram with orange horns) , around a dozen which is a few more than usual. Never know what the food will be like, sometimes great others not so much. Yesterday was the not so much. Had a good visit though. Finished the day with packaging and shipping. Some good sales and I needed the income. The young prince is here for the day and I may get to spend a little time with him. The only important chore is to load the car for a trip to Brock's Gap in Hoover AL for a match. Haven't competed since the Tack Driver and didn't really compete there either. New barrel, new brass. We'll see.

I had an aunt who traced some of our ancestors back to the 15th century, but she didn't factor in that my Dad was adopted, so it's bogus. An nephew got interested a couple of years ago and through Ancestry discovered my biological grandfather. Interesting, but he didn't leave any $$, so not important ;) Guess I'll finish up the last of this pot of coffee and get busy at something.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

· Premium Member
2,112 Posts
What stood out in our genealogical search was that at no time did we come in contact with a Goyen in France. Imagine my reaction when last year I had notification that Emile Goyen left me some money. What you guys are thinking is what I said back then. BS. Scam. Fraud. I did another search and came to the same conclusion. The administrators and the French Government wanted my bank account number and bank routing number so as to receive the payment. I spoke to a lawyer who set up our trust a few years ago and he said to open another bank account with $20.00 and give them that information. All I could lose would be $20.00 and so that’s what I did. well, boys and girls it was no scam and I received a sizable inheritance even after France extracted 60% in inheritance taxes. we received the cash, the sale of the house, the sale of the property the house stood on, the sale of the vineyard, and the sale of the previous year’s wine. After I got the money in the bank account I bought some certificates of deposit and closed the account just as our lawyer advised.
Oh. Goyen was the maiden name of a lady who married a brother of what would be my great, grandmother. Emile was their only child and he never married. He took his mother’s name when she and his father died.

· Registered
382 Posts
Morning all, 40 headed to 45 they say, overcast. Had a full day yesterday, had a bunch of visitors down from 11 am till 7pm. One of my running buddy;s came down and we decided we were going to shoot no matter how hi the wind got, took 15-20 mins between each group but we did well. His 6xc really liked the Sierra 107's and 95 gr Bibs. I had gotten some 6.5 Staball and loaded up a few rounds w 123gr ELDs for my 6.5 CM. Shooting 3 shot groups to conserve components, I averaged in the high .2's. Again took the better part of an hour to shoot 3 groups. I loaded up ten more rounds to shoot on a calm day with the same load and half grain higher. I got my .264 Win mag I built on a chassis out, and shot it with some 140 Amaxes behind a compressed charge of H4831, running about 3100fps. Not allowing for the wind, or waiting on a lull it shot 5 rounds into .515 center to center. This was in some hjigh winds, So it should be a great load for it. Had another buddy drop by and shot the bulll for 1/2 an hour or so. Another friend came down with a minty condition Marlin 336 that was a commemorative 1970 model, with a small golden Marlin medallion in the stock. It had a scope mt screw rung off, I use a drill bit 2 sizes smaller, and drilled it right out, did not touch the threads. Late yesterday a buddy from church brought his son down, and he left a 308 Mossberg with me, I am going to bed it and go thru the trigger, free of charge to help a youngster out. He needs a better scope, So I am putting on the 6x18 Simmons, the Bruce donated to me to help kids out. He will be stoked. Need to get moving, you all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

· Registered
1,550 Posts
33° calling for 44° later, it is foggy out and looks like one of those days that it might not lift all day. No rain yesterday not calling for rain today 60% chance tomorrow then the next 10 days they’re not calling for rain. That sure is a nice break for this time of year even if we do have some fog.

Ken I had to laugh when you were talking about the snow plows. My daughter spent a winter a few years ago in Rochester when she was working at Mayo as an RN. That was her first experience with a real winter. Digging out the berm across her driveway was always a real annoyance to her. I sent her a text about all the fun you had yesterday. I am sure she will feel your pain.😊 She bought a cute warm winter coat and boots be fore she moved their. I told her in a MN winter cute goes out the window. That winter she bought a real winter coat that went to her ankles and a pair of Sorels.

We have a 9-12 pitch roof that I have been cleaning fir needles off of. My wife hates it when I go up there. I am in good health and pretty agile at 71 but I am starting to think I need to stay off the roof. I didn’t pick my foot up quite far enough the other day and and did a little jig. Another 1/4” and I would not have caught my toe. Remember Maxwell Smart? I missed by that much.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Afternoon all. Back from the PCP visit a while a go and had some cereal to take the edge off the hunger pangs. Visit went well, and will be waiting for results in a few days. His new office is fine, and close, but the weather this morning was nasty, 32F, spitting snow and about 30mph winds. Not fun to be in at all. Will have some lunch soon and then do my PT. Just got a text reminder that I have a CT scheduled for Tuesday morning. Never a dull moment.

· Registered
7,693 Posts
Good afternoon, GoGo. At 1625 it's 36 in Louisville, overcast, and spitting snow just enough that it'll probably empty the bread aisle and milk coolers.

I started reading the thread this morning, then I think I got distracted by an Internet series called "Rogue Heroes." It's all about the Brits in North Africa. I've only gotten through the first one-hour episode and I'm really enjoying it. First-rate acting and appears to have been shot on location somewhere in Africa, probably Egypt. If you have Prime Video you can watch it "free."

I've also fed the birds, folded a load of clothes and put in about two hours on the ax sheath. Today was stitching day. Then all that's left is touching up some dye blemishes on the leather, oiling it real well, adding a topcoat, then waxing it. Fingers crossed. When Scott said the other day that he and Debra may make a trip south in mid-February, that kind of motivated me. Ha!

You bird lovers will get a kick out of this. So, I'm feeding suet as well as sunflower seeds, and we have a pretty good population of grackles that just love the suet and are real bullies at the feeder. But I watched today as two different woodpeckers took their time hitting the suet and quickly drove off every grackle that dared attempt to land on the feeder. One of the woodies was a yellow-shafted flicker and the other was a red-headed woodpecker. Neither had any trouble holding their own against the grackles.

Yesterday the cold front came through and we had winds of 25mph most all day, gusting to 40+. About 30 miles south of Louisville is a town called Elizabethtown and an elderly woman was killed down there when the high winds blew a Denny's restaurant sign off a 50-60 foot tower. The woman was in the back seat of a car in the parking lot when the sign fell and absolutely crushed the top of the car.

I hope everyone had a good, safe day. Prayers up for our friends here with health issues and prayers for our nation.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Skruske, is that pipe on the front pulling in outside air or cooler air direct off the floor?
@CTKenagen
That pipe draws cool air from under the stair & furnace room then blows into the bottom of the stove. There are tubes that wrap around the back & up to the top vents where warm air blows out.

There were 3 fans on the bottom front of the stove but they were very noisy in that room. So I bought an appropriate size squirrel cage fan & mounted it under the stairs. That put the noise in a different space & now Debra Dearest can be warm and watch TV without the volume too loud.

Floor Wood Flooring Road surface Asphalt

There is a left turn elbow under the squirrel cage that blows cool air toward the bottom of the stove

Automotive tire Wood Gas Audio equipment Hardwood

a light switch on the short stairway wall controls power to the squirrel cage fan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts