Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
48° here in Upstate NY under overcast skies with a bit of rain this morning. The high temperature today will only be up to about 53° with a little rain. The bad part is we are under a wind advisory for today and tonight. On top of that we may get a little snow overnight tonight.

Yesterday I was on the road for a time in the morning and then I spent the rest of the day working at home. It rained most of the day so I was happy not to be required to go anywhere. The gun club paperwork kept me busy along with my own business paperwork. Today will mean more of the same it doth appear and that will be all right. I wanted to go fishing tomorrow as it the opening day for walleyes but that is out now.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 50 going to 60 with a frost warning for Sat. morning, that will make for a busy day today. Rain total was much needed 1.6 inches yesterday. Just about enough empty hornet brass to make up a box of 19 Calhoon cases. Be safe and healthy Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Happy Friday ! 53° And dry here this morning after an all-day soaking rain yesterday. They are saying we may dip into the 30’s overnight tonight. This weekend’s job was cancelled so it looks like I will have a 2-day weekend after all. Hope to do a little fishing but I have a feeling a lot of time will be spent mowing and waging war on the weeds. Powder will be burnt at some point.
Have a good one.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Mornin boys...
low 50s here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Me and Tucker are going hunting this morning.
rained some yesterday and last nite but ain't this morning.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Great morning folks,

Morning twilight was noted at 5:38am with 41° and a clear sky here near HalfwayUSA. We are still under the influence of a cold front out of Canada and will only see the low 50s today. Winds will pick up significantly later.

Seems as though a lot of little things got checked of the task list but I don't seem to remember being very busy. In the afternoon Deb & I got our second Phizer shot. No long lines to deal with. We stopped at a couple rummage sales on the way home.

I'm headed to the range for a noon meeting with the other club officers. The president wants input on range improvements for this year. I should take the 450 Bushmaster to zero the new Burrris scope. I should take the 6x45 and zero that as well. My buddy, who recently retired from his insurance business has a pile of firewood he recently cut. I will pick that up on the way home.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Good morning all, it's 48* and high today 64*. I saw a sign coming home yesterday at Capt D's, 100.00 sigh up to come to work for them. JR saw on the news they have started talking about gas prices so LOOK out!! They are 2.89 a gallon here and have been that for a while, wouldn't surprise me over 4.00 a gallon very soon. I'm done ranting now, you all have a good one today.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 48 and clear, getting to 61. No rain. Corn planting is getting underway.
I got fuel for the truck yesterday, it's been 3.09 a gallon for several weeks. Grocery shopping is getting more expensive than truck fuel.
I need to spend some quality time with my computer today, lots of writing and getting started on taxes.
Hope everyone has a great Friday,
Ken

·
Premium Member
5,003 Posts
Good morning crew...50° here at the shop right now and looks to be headed to mid to upper 60's later. I got all my angle iron parts welded up and now have 4 22ft long 8"sch 40 pipes to cut slots in the ends and weld plates in the ends and the cap one end off. Hope to get all this stuff at a decent time today and get onto something else.
Our big excitement yesterday was a car..or truck chase though town. Guess someone stole a mid 2000's Ford dually and got busted and decided to run like hell in it for a while. Probably the same jack asses that stole my dad's Ford last month. From what I hear it takes them about 30 seconds to get in and get it started and be gone. They pop the tumbler out and start them with a screwdriver. I don't know if the video will work.
Facebook
There was another video of them blowing through town. That many cops chasing you you know your gonna catch a beating when they get you stopped.:LOL:

Nothing is getting done to the 9mm upper yet until I get this work finished and caught up. I have a pile of rifles that need to go to the range for sight in really soon as well.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Good Morning from the 🌞 shine state a nice 72 degrees this morning . A little foggy . Long road trip today 922 miles back to the Northern Neck of VA . As soon as the HVAC gets here and leaves I start the drive .Yep we will be driving straight through .Mrs got subs yesterday only stopping will be restrooms and gas. Have a great day and weekend.
JW

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
morning all. 29 with possible high 60s today, I really don't care how cold it is but this wind everyday is really getting old, dirt blew again yesterday!!!
Finished servicing one sprinkler yesterday, but had to put a starter on the ford feed truck in the afternoon, and the rest of the day was spent with the cows again.
Hope to get another sprinkler running with water in it today.
Feeling like I've been run over, body hurts everywhere this morning.
Have a good FRIDAY and be safe. Prayers for those with health issues and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Administrator
12,332 Posts
Good morning folks. TGIF! It's 57 here and blowing a gale. Wind blew in here about 9PM last night and whistled thru the window all night. Chilled things off and I slept good for a change. Worked at the shop last night a bit. The renovation is moving right along. I'll post some pics here in a bit.

I couldn't find a recent pic of the old gun counter area, but here's a pic of my late boss Jim Bievenour in the shop circa late 1970s when he moved into that building. It hadn't changed much since then, except the pretty wood guns you see here were replaced by camo and synthetic. Handguns still hung from hooks on the ceilings up to last fall.

This pic shows the front room now as you walk in the front door. You guys that have been there before and seen it will understand...the entire wall to the right was full of gun racks and counter space by the posts. It had low ceilings, poor lighting and stuff was really crowded in. They took out the upstairs floor joists to vault the ceiling and installed new lights. This will be fishing stuff on the right, and hardware in the rest of the room. They left a small loft up top in the back of the pic for storage and such.

This is the new gun room, taken from the rear wall facing the front, which used to be the hardware/safe/clothing room in the back of the building. They removed the loft and rebuilt part of it with a higher ceiling for office space (top right of this pic behind windows). Long gun racks are custom built on the left side, perp to the walls (not filled yet). Gun counter to the right. We just got glass pistol cases in yesterday so we'll have a better way to display them. They will go in the open space in the right-center portion of this pic by the poles. It's a little tight for me...but not closed in with a low ceiling. And our inventory is low...when/if it comes back, I don't know where we'll put stuff.

Working today, not sure if I'll work all day or not. I may say to hell with it and knock off early. I have to work an all day gun drawing tomorrow, so I may just chillax this afternoon. I guess if I wanna knock off early I better get something done? Prayers sent. Have a good one.

Charlie

PS - the last bunny died last night. IDK what happened? Mom said it was doing well at lunch and by the evening, things changed. 😞

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Good foggy morning from the sticks of Kentucky at 52° outside. I have a Fire in the woodstove....just because I LIKE to have a fire in the woodstove, and I don't like to be Cold and Damp sitting around with a coat on In the house.

I went to the Ammo Auction last night for a while. The Zombie Apocalypse must be nearing because prices were Crazy high. .22 rimfire about $100 a brick ....more for premium. 5.56 and 7.62 x 39 ammo was averaging Over $1 per round. Even the Norinco Steel cased crap sold like Gold. I suspect most of this would be re sold? At what price?? Not me.
Hunting Ammo for other calibers was a $2 round or more for some. I have seen ammo in stores lately priced at much less, especially the .22 Rimfire.
Saturday is the Gun Auction of over 200 guns of various types and I will check it out also. Couple of old pistols that I will make Sure they bring More than they should.

I did bid on an Engraved Pocket Watch on an internet site and I was not the winner but someone damsure had to Pay for it. Perhaps I should have bid a few Hunert more...Naaa.

Yesterday, i finished up working on my hay rake. Now i will move to the Fluffer and Cutter next. Maybe finally load .45 ammo today.
JB may get discharged from the Army today? Another trip to a music show on Sunday afternoon she has to prepare for.

Charlie I can send your Mom a basket of Kittens to raise if she needs something to do. Rabbits are about impossible to raise but Squirrels are doable.
Have a safe day folks and y'all Michiganders need to check on your elected officials more. Seems DUI on Expressway with yo Ho beside you Neckid can get you in a jam. Call Gretchen.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Happy Kentucky Oaks Day, GoGo! It's 55 in the Derby City, going to 74 with bright sun all day. The sure bet at Churchill Downs today is sunburn.

Yesterday was all about meat and smoke, with a little work-work thrown in. I smoked a small venison backstrap, a boneless turkey breast, some Johnsonville sausages, one rack of baby backs and half a dozen jalapeno poppers. The stars of the day were the backstrap and the poppers. I ate one of the poppers and some ribs for dinner and they went down real good. Most of the meat will be used today to build homemade "TV dinners" to go in the freezer. Lunch today will likely be thin slices of smoked venison on a Ritz cracker with a dab of mustard.

Here's my latest comment on the China Flu vaccine:

Y'all have a good'n, be safe out there, and pray for our friends and nation.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
48º at sunrise on the way to the mid 70's in the hollow. Today should be a mixed bag of honey do's and such with a little business and personal thrown in for good measure. There will be a trip to Sam's for food for tomorrow's UBR match and I'll finish the day loading up all the stuff it takes to run a match. It should be easier this time as I've decided to not shoot the matches I run for a while. I no longer seem capable of shooting and running a match, so I'll try to do one well and leave off the other. Also, after twelve hours on match day it takes a while to recover, so we'll see how things go this way. The weather forecast is good so maybe we'll have some good scores for a change.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Good morning all. It’s 51 heading for 67 in Indy with no rain in the forecast. We’re loading up to go shoot a little, or a lot. Hour and a half each way. Maybe we should shoot a lot.

Nothing else happening today.

Mint juleps at Mike’s place this weekend.

Have a good day.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
None of what is happening in Michigan is my fault. I didn’t vote for those in power. We have been watching the Juell Jones comedy hour every night on the news. They just don’t know how to handle the whole situation. Juell is exploiting his 15 minutes of fame and with the news media thirsting for any story not Covid related are sucking up to his every demand for publicity.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 61º and cloudy here headed for the upper 70's. It looks like the rain will return tomorrow night and Sunday.

I had an enjoyable visit with my financial adviser and his Daughter yesterday. I'm a pretty trouble free investor and don't require many visits or phone calls so I was a little curious about the purpose of the visit. It seems like the tax laws on inheritances will be changing and we discussed methods to keep our boys from getting hit really hard on taxes after we are gone. I have 2 retirement accounts, one thats made up of untaxed money and a smaller one made up of taxed money. I think we are simply going to slowly move money from one account to the other. We'll watch the market and do this when its down.

Kind of a long winded paragraph about a short visit yesterday but you guys may want to look into this. It was good to know that my advisor is working behind the scenes to watch out for me.

Todays main event is that a buddy will be here shortly and we plan to melt down whatever scrap lead that we acluminated since last year. I have about 3 buckets of wheelweights and I think he has about as much. We have a friendly competition going on to see who can score the most during the year. I don't even need them but its hard to turn them down once you get a regular source. We have been working together for a few years now. It goes faster and easier with 2 guys working together.

Prayers offered for our members having health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Stay out of those lead fumes Lightman. Matt Dardas, well known in cast bullet circles, used to mold lead ammo and got out of it in the last couple years after he and his employees tested positive for lead poisoning.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Morning all, 63 headed to 72 hereabouts. Did some gun trading yesterday, par for the course. Got a bunch of stuff needs doing today, that must get done, and will be. KF you make me drool thinking about the smoked deer loin. Got to get goin, you all have a great day, prayers for those that need them, Buff out.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
48° with a high of 66° is called for. The lack of rain for this time of year is crazy. Everything is dusty and usually is is overcast and rain every day.
Lightman watch the lead. My dad died of bone marrow cancer. When he went to the doctor with sore ribs they said he had one broken. After tests they asked him if he had been around paint much, this was in 1977. He sprayed high steel and bridges. The Doctor said the lead exposure had caught up with him.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts