Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized I was forgetting to put the date on the morning thread.

59° here in Upstate NY this morning under fair skies, the high temperature for today iwll be about 77° sunny and a mild breeze, Yesterday was almost a carbon copy but a little warmer.

Yesterday was an interesting day around here. About 8:30 PM Wed. evening a Sherriff Deputy and Lady State Trooper went to make a welfare check on a 34 year old guy about five miles from me. The Trooper got shot in the leg twice and the guy took off in a Ford pickup, well I went to the gun club in the afternoon and across the hill from me they had found the truck and were looking for the guy. I saw helicopters going over and when I finished up I went back home about 3:30 PM. Shortly after 4:15 PM there was a report he had jumped off the river bridge 1-1/2 mi. down the road from me. I guess they finally found him about 4:45 PM on the river bank behind a house so for now all is well once again. I was beginning to think he was following me around. The lady trooper that got shot is all right, she apparently had some surgery and was released from the hospital late in the early evening.

Wel today I hope it will be a quiet day here and I will get my yard mowed.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 67 going to the 80's with heavy fog. 1.5 of rain fell in a late day downpour yday, will have more of the same for today. No grass mowing and no gardening going on around here. Looks like a good day to spend in the den with AC. Be safe Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Good morning from Ft Smith Arkansas, it's 73 and partially cloudy, high of 95. Good day yesterday, we stopped by a couple of tourist places. Today is the scenic day driving through our the mountains of eastern Oklahoma.

Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Great morning folks,

Mostly clear with morning dew and a temperature of 66° here near HalfwayUSA. Upper 80's later for the high.

Glad I was in Grayling helping out my old hunting partner. Deb's dad was a challenge. Still agitated over his septic tank, he wondered why they had not got to his house yet...at 8am. Deb had to explain the situation to him...a few times. When I got home, later in the afternoon, she had enjoyed some frozen Salt & Carmel whiskey. At least she was smiling. Good news is his tank is empty, bad news is the seepage field will need some attention. I sure hope Bill wasn't outside all night trying to dig it up.

Thanks to those folks who messaged me about Deb's dad. Y'all are a good bunch of folks.

My old hunting partner is doing as good as can be expected. We ran errands & took a drive out in the woods.

A short search found a small town nearby is having city wide rummage sales. I know I'm going, I think I can convince Debra Dearest to go too.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Mornin w..
Phone says 69 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Woke up normal get up time...guess surfing the net without
my coffee is about to be over...heard Tucker alarm to off so
somebody else is stiring around so I'll go get it. I think the
weather guessers are saying a chance.of rain for the next few days.
State park that stocks trout in their creek opens it up just like the other 2
creeks that gets stocked and you can keep'em every year. Last year it was
June 15th, this year they opened it June 1...guess we.should have checked,
probably all gone by now but I may go see today if.it don't rain too hard.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
9,737 Posts
Good morning. It’s warm and heading for sweaty on the golf course this afternoon. Watched Oklahoma dismantle Florida State for the NCAA softball national championship yesterday. Stuffed a couple hundred rds of .223 between innings. Time to start packing. Looking forward to SD more than usual even though we’re going onto the Rosebud rez for the first time in years.
Lights just came on at the pancake joint. Have a good day.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
morning all. 40 again with high 70s today. Yesterday was cold at 34 with frost on the alfalfa, then hot, mid 80s, and windy.
Worked on sprinklers all day yesterday, helped get our wreck right side up, hope they get it finished today. Had to replace a couple joints of pipe, so that took a little longer.
Today will be about the same... I think, just on different sprinklers.
About all from here, have a Happy FRIDAY! Prayers for those in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Administrator
12,433 Posts
Good Friday morning folks. It's 62 and WET here for a change. Some much needed rain rolled in yesterday after lunch and stuck around on and off all night. Supposed to continue like that today and only get to about 68. The poor trees/plants outside look exhausted, between the heat and the cicadas. The cicadas are ravaging my poor trees. They climb out to the end of a limb, bore a hole and lay their eggs in the limb. This kills the limb and it drops off, the eggs hatch and the young crawl underground. It's awful. Oh well, they have 17 years to recover...if they make it. I didn't do anything last night except spread mice poison around the garage and basement. Miss Sue and I will probably go out for dinner this evening. The weekend looks busy. Son in law ordered wood to be delivered today or tomorrow morning. It looks like I'll be down there all weekend building a deck. He said he hasn't gotten much done since lase weekend, so there's still half a deck and the ledger boards to rip off. Scott...there's plenty of room to park the red neck limo if you're not doing anything. 😂

Ole Doug said pancakes. Now I'm hungry and I'm working from home today. Guess I'll make some breakfast quick and then get busy.

Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Good morning from the sticks of Kentucky and another rain shower last night washed my hayfield again. But it makes the pasture grow, so....
We managed to get some hay dried out enough to Roll yesterday evening, and had some Jams that Judy Brown helped me pull out. I couldn't have made it without her. Seriously.
Jesse is coming down tonight for the weekend to help relieve her, so I may cut another big field down today. Maybe.

George had some excitement yesterday; stuff like that can happen anywhere. People come "Unhinged" and Consequences can effect everyone around.
"Unhinged."
That's the name of a movie that I would recommend to everyone. Its about Road Rage and the Consequences that could happen.
More hay fun planned today and I hope your day is better than mine.
Be safe and stay away from Hay Equipment.

Reactions: Gabriel

·
Registered
156 Posts
Went to my closest farm last evening to check on the g-hogs. I have named this location "Death Valley" because over the last 10 years or so I have killed at least 60 hogs from this one spot. Farmer usually has beans on one side of the fence and corn on the other. Needless to say the fence-row is a condominium complex for the ground hogs. In prep for beans he had planted some alfalfa and timothy hay as a cover crop. Texted me two weeks ago that the hay was harvested and ready for my "opening day" of June 1st.
Shots on this location range from point blank to 350 Yds. As I was glassing the fence line last evening I see something emerging from the farthest "safe" shot hole at 300 Yds. I get fired up and get the VarTarg ready and see that it is a large dark grey cat trotting my way with something in its mouth. Damn thing comes up the fence row right in front of my truck and stops. Hangin from it's mouth is a baby g-hog. She turns and heads into one of the barns. I figure she has a litter in there and is in the process of weaning them.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Doc Ed is a absolutely correct about the Cats and Groundhogs..
Now, you can't believe anything that "I myself" say about Cats because I am a Cat Person.
But.
I have a barn that Groundhogs have dug tunnels in for many years and I was unable to kill them all out. My Herd of Barn Cats moved in and the Groundhogs LEFT. None

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Morning Folks!

Its 75º and Sunny here headed for 90. it looks like the rain has moved out, at least for now. Different parts of the State got between 10 and 19 inches over the week. Lots of flooding around in different areas.

Yesterday was a slow day. My wife saw on Facebook that a local Farmers Market had Blue Berries and Black Berries so we made a run up there to get some. After we got back home I tinkered around in the loading room. She spent the afternoon in the kitchen.

The housekeeper will be here about anytime so I'll disappear someplace. I may gather up my 2 new barrels and all the parts and head over to my shooting buddies machine shop.

Prayers offered for our members having health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 73 in Louisville, going to 84. Sixty percent chance of afternoon thunderstorms.

Well, my buddy who has access to gubmint satellites sent me a follow-up shot from Elko, NV. Sure enough, there's ol' Shane leaning on the fence rail at Mona's Ranch and trying to look casual.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and lift up prayers for our friends and the nation.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
For me the war is on. The gypsy moth caterpillars got a good dose of B.T. Spray yesterday. If that didn’t get them out of the apples, D-Day II will have to wait until Sunday as I have more important things to do according to Jan. It was a rather cool pleasant 64 for the daily poop walk with Red The Basset at 4:30
Back to bed for the two of us and then at 8:30 someone was on the road and that had to be investigated. Today I have to follow instructions and break the law. A doctor sent me a check for a ring die and forgot to sign the check. I let him know about it and he said just sign it “Nobody will know”. So I’ll scribble doctor style and sign his check. If I post tomorrow from jail will you guys testify on my behalf?

·
Administrator
1,842 Posts
Some of you guys are lucky, that you have some groundhogs to plink. I haven't seen but a couple of whistle pigs around this part of the world. I have a couple that have taken to my barn here in town, but sure hard to shoot them. Can't get a good safe shot, because of the houses on three sides of me and a park on the forth side. They don't seem to want to make appearance when I get a chance to set out at the only angle that I can get a decent shot.
It is 80* on the way to 91 for the day here in the northern Ozarks. Not much to talk about here in Hickory County. Like I said no whistle pigs and no prairie dogs.
Way back in the late 70's I fell on a construction job and broke my back, had a couple of surgeries on it back then and have gotten along real well until the last year or so. Have been hurting a lot and have to walk with a cane. Met with a surgeon to work on the calcium that has built up in the damaged area, at my age had to have my heart evaluated and they found a heart valve that has caused a mummer, that I have known about for nearly my whole life. They can't do the work until cleared by the heart people. They have put a loop recorder in my chest that reports to them every night, it has been there for a month and not found anything to report. So now they have cleared me for the surgery and now I am tentatively scheduled for the 30th of the month.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Morning all,77 headed to 80 for the high, with 93% humidity, whew! The young feller from church showed up right on time, and he was a working son of a gun. We got the old cabinets and counter tore out, which was no big job, but moving all the stuff under and on top was the big job. We got the new table in, stuff stacked back up. Now if I want to, I can get my electric wheel chair into the shop, out of the rain, etc. The new table also gives me a nice workspace to tear down guns, work on arrows etc. More straightening up to do today, got to box up a couple of guns to mail and mail them today. You all have a good day, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Premium Member
5,070 Posts
Good morning everyone from Elko NV....nice cool morning looking like it's going to the 80's today. Got up and went and scored some egg mcmuffins and some coffee from the local coffee shop. We got here a little after 5pm yesterday and got checked in and went to my son's apartment for a few then we all headed to the local Mexican joint for dinner and beers. Today is his 25th bday so we're going to find something to do.
The Gold mine is having an expo here in town today so we'll go check it out I'm sure.
On the way here we were coming in on the south side of the Ruby mountain's and seen a bunch of ground squirrels...looked kinda like mini pdogs. My son's girlfriend went on a camping trip outside of town here and said they were everywhere. I might have to ship a rifle and ammo for another trip out sometime.
Mike my wife got a kick out of the photoshop but if I was that close to the door she'd be in the pic too dragging me out of there.
I'll probably hit the local gunshop as last time I took home powder from there but don't think the airline would approve that in my bags. I could leave it with my son but no way to ship it. I'd have to wait until we drove back out to get it.
Hope everyone has a good day and here's a pic when we were almost to Elko.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I’m Back....mrmurl, prayers for your surgery. Ken...come on over to the western part of Oklahoma were we’ll treat you right....LOL. Hope you have a great trip. ShaneG....that is some awesome country. Son and I drove from Las Vegas to Reno one day for a hunting show in Reno. Long Drive....
We use got back from NM prairie dog trip. We had a good time. Wil fill you all in on a separate post. Took some neat pics.
We got home about midnight last night and was after 1 when finally crawled into bed. Slept in till about 9:15 am this morning. Don’t think I ever turned over....LOL.
Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

Reactions: Dean in Colo.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Went to my closest farm last evening to check on the g-hogs. I have named this location "Death Valley" because over the last 10 years or so I have killed at least 60 hogs from this one spot. Farmer usually has beans on one side of the fence and corn on the other. Needless to say the fence-row is a condominium complex for the ground hogs. In prep for beans he had planted some alfalfa and timothy hay as a cover crop. Texted me two weeks ago that the hay was harvested and ready for my "opening day" of June 1st.
Shots on this location range from point blank to 350 Yds. As I was glassing the fence line last evening I see something emerging from the farthest "safe" shot hole at 300 Yds. I get fired up and get the VarTarg ready and see that it is a large dark grey cat trotting my way with something in its mouth. Damn thing comes up the fence row right in front of my truck and stops. Hangin from it's mouth is a baby g-hog. She turns and heads into one of the barns. I figure she has a litter in there and is in the process of weaning them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts