Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
41° here in Upstate NY this morning, it is clear and is to be a decent day. The high temperature will be about 61°. We are supposed to get showers and possibly thunderstorms tonight.

I was on the road again yesterday most of the day but today who knows. I would like to spend sometime here but it is doubtful. Well hopefully I will be able to get some fishing in pretty soon.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Good Morning

WOW!! It's 70 this morning with 20mph south wind and all the rain is still in Doug's area. Should be able to finish tomatoes potting today, grass mowing tomorrow and rest Sunday while it rains. Sounds like a plan to me. GH traps are baited with lettuce and set, see what happened when the sun comes up. Be safe and Prayers to all in need and country. Mike

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Great morning folks,

40°, breezy with rain and thunder storms threatening here near Halfway USA. A wide band of rain & storms extend from Lake Superior south to Missippi and will bring the much needed moisture to the sticks of damncowville. Still more snow & wind forecast for Minnesota eh. The low pressure is centered near Hayfield and is slow moving. It is dragging cold air out of Canada that will take lower temperatures & north winds down into Tejas. Don't let go of your socks just yet.

Lots of brass got sorted & separated yesterday. 3 buckets worth. Looks like the Rock Chucker will be getting a workout. I have another bucket in the barn that needs crimp removed. Later on, when it warms up a bit, I'll get that one prep'd & ready to sort.

Other than that, I hung a shelf for Debra Dearest. She keeps dreaming up stuff for me to do. I thought the house was done last December.:confused:

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Mornin boys...
Upper 60s here high on RUGER Mt this morning..
Took Elijah fishing for his birthday yesterday.
We caught 4 rock and by ir d. Biggest.was.14 lb. and the
small 1 was 6 lb. Had a good time.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
651 Posts
Good Morning all you varmints. The wind woke me up again this morning, some pretty good sustained gusts still coming. 25 degrees with some visability, but to dark to see how far. Still snowing and expecting another 3-4 inchec the amost10
That we got.
We lost power yesterday afternoon. They say that there is lots of high lines down and the crews are working on them but location are ddiffiicult to get to with the flooding and snow. The trailer generator got hooked up to the tractor pto and that has been giving us power to the farm. We are disconnected from the power company lines and are isolated now and everything is powered up. My son has been making sure that the tractor has fuel all night . It’s a 150 hp tractor but it is a heavy load so it’s burns quite a bit of fuel. 3 houses, shop, lights in barns well pumps for the cows it takes some hp to spin that generator. And life goes on here at the farm on the prairie.
Normal cow chores today and cleaning snow out of the yard today. There’s getting to be some damn big piles around here. Any time now the cows should start dropping calves. Got a some that are very close to moving into the calving barn.
My job is keeping coffee hot and lunch ready for the guys. School is closed again today and kids are home. My granddaughter is coming here today and going to make cinnamon rolls for everyone. She’s quite the baker. She has won several blue ribbons at the fair and last year her cinnamon rolls went to the State Fair where she got a red ribbon for them.If you can get here, there worth stopping for. She makes them big, about 4 inches square and gooey with Caramel. There aren’t very any breakfast joints that make them like that!
Have a good one and a safe one, what ever your doing.
a

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
morning all. 18 this morning, might get to 40 today with possible snow for tonight and tomorrow.
Still no water pump for the old Chevy truck. :mad: no wonder Amazon and E-Bay take over the market on everything. I don't know what happened to the one I ordered in town now, but guess it never made it to the store. I'll make another trip to town, need some parts from John Deere anyway.
Worked in the shop most of the day but really didn't get much done.
Maybe today.
Better get, hope all is well with you all. Prayers for the needy and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Good morning all. We’ve got rain and 50 in Indy. Might reach 60 but there will be no golf and there will be no shooting.

Have a good day.

·
Administrator
13,443 Posts
good morning varmints. It's 47º here with clouds. I'm at work...but not sure for how long. I feel like I got hit by a truck. The crud is killing me. Keep having coughing fits and can't sleep lying down. Two tylenol PM helped a bit last night. Had a nice meal with Larry (SRM) last night at the distillery. Those vodka mules were sure helping my sore throat.:) He spent the night and we sat up chatting for quite a while. He's headed back to his parent's today and then flies out Sat. AM.

Well, I have to get busy. I want to at least try to get this one project done today before I go home. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
64 with light rain in the hollow. Just got back from the Nashville airport where my wife boarded a plane for Waterloo IA. I had plan to travel to Thurmont MD today, but my copilot had something come up so I'll be here with the dogs again unsupervised. Something I'll pass along to those with hearing aids. My wife had a mishap on Wednesday afternoon that left here hearing aids in 18" of water at the bottom of a creek. Her cell was dunked as well, but briefly. Could have been much worse, even fatal. But yesterday, while she was keeping our grandson I made a trip back to the water and as it had cleared up, I found both hearing aids. We figured they were toast, but I did a search and fund that they were possibly recoverable. I removed the batteries and dried them with a hair dryer on low heat, then left them on the counter. My wife spoke to the vendor and bought a hearing aid drier. This morning they worked perfectly. We did have a warranty, but it would have taken a while to get them replaced and if had needed to pay, it would have been spendy. Pretty good outcome.

G'day Y'all,
Rick

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's 59 in Louisville, going to 82. Rain arrived here sometime a couple hours before dawn, but I don't think we got much lightning. The county just east of us, Oldham, apparently had pretty bad wind because the news folks are showing photos of downed trees this morning.

Miss Cindy and I appreciate the prayers that were lifted up the past couple of weeks for her dad. He died early Monday and the funeral was Wednesday. John was 83 and simply worn out. He was an Air Force vet and the funeral included all the military honors. Very moving.

Donnie sent me a photo of two of the fish caught when he took Elijah on a birthday fishing trip yesterday. Here's a photo of the two biggest, 14 pounds and 12/8. Pretty sad when all the Kentucky Fisherman can do is post photos of other people's fish. :(

The big machine gun shoot at Knob Creek Range is today and tomorrow. It's only two days this year instead of three. I thought about going tomorrow, but traffic and parking will be horrid and I'd almost surely spend money that I don't really need to spend.

Y'all have a good'n and be safe out there. And speaking of being safe, yesterday I used a little gizmo that turns your angle grinder into a mini-chainsaw. I have some cherry slabs and wanted to try "carving" one into a bowl. First off, let me say that the idea of holding and using a mini chainsaw that close to my body gave me the willies. Mostly it seemed safe enough, but every now and then the chain would grab the wood funny and the angle grinder wanted to lurch or jump a little. I don't know if I'll get used to it and be able to use it safely or not, but it's sure an evil, wood-eating little devil.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I used a little gizmo that turns your angle grinder into a mini-chainsaw.

using a mini chainsaw that close to my body gave me the willies.
Mike I took a look at those & while I enjoy an occasional bit of recklessness, I steered clear of those blades. I'm not real fond of bleeding profusely. :eek:

Youtube was very persuasive on the bad things that can happen with those.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Morning all, 70 here and that is the high for today. Got a lot done yesterday, and overdid it, I feel it today. I took a barrel off a 6.5 creedmoor Savage, had the smooth barrel nut, talk about a pain to get off, every one of them has been like that. When I finally did get it loose, there was bluing salts rust between the nut, recoil lug, and the and receiver. I cleaned it all up, and the guy is picking up the barrel to have a machinist do some work on it. I don't have a steady rest for my old Soutbend lathe or I would do it. Got to get going, you all have a good day, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out!

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Morning all. prayers for all in the midwest and the weather, others too.

PRICE CHECK: I have a Beretta A 303 I just do not use and I want to move along at a gun show this weekend. Skeet barrel. I am stumped as to value. $350 ??

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Mike I took a look at those & while I enjoy an occasional bit of recklessness, I steered clear of those blades. I'm not real fond of bleeding profusely. :eek:

Youtube was very persuasive on the bad things that can happen with those.
I appreciate that feedback, Scott. I suspect by the time I get this one bowl gouged out, I will have decided to retire this little devil.

Those doggone angle grinders have so much torque and run so fast that if this thing got away from you, you could be badly hurt before it even registered in your brain. And they don't stop automatically or quickly when you release the switch. If they did, it'd make a big difference in terms of safety.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Other than that, I hung a shelf for Debra Dearest. She keeps dreaming up stuff for me to do. I thought the house was done last December.:confused:
Silly ol' you. A house is NEVER done. :D

Headed back to Wyoming on Wednesday.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts