Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
45° here in Upstate NY this morning under cloudy skies, the high temperature is supposed to get up to about 63° today and be a nice sunny day with light winds. No rain forecast till late tomorrow.

Yesterday was a disaster for Rusty and I hunting, it was a cold bitter day with strong winds to start with. In the second covert we hunted all of a sudden Rusty come to me limping on his left front paw. I figured he had a thorn in his pad but there wasn't, I felt his leg all over and he didn't seem to have anything wrong. The only thing I can figure is he either stepped wrong on something or bumped into something. It ended our day hunting no matter what, this morning the same thing he is still limping so there will be no hunting till he mends.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio where it is 42 going to 75 under beautiful blue skies. Have some chores to get done maybe a trip to the lumber yard then I want to be close to the radio. At 12 noon the Rush L. show is to have some guy named Donald Trump on his show for the world's largest virial rally in the world, kinda want to hear that. Be safe and healthy. Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
57° here this morning and they say we are getting up to 80 again. Yesterday was a great day to be working outdoors. Greyfox meets up with Skruske in Michigan and in less then 48 hours a plot was discovered to kidnap the governor. Coincidence ????
30-30-‘s are in the tumbler to reload for a friend. Might cast some bullets later. Chores are all caught up for now so I’m not sure what the weekend will bring. Might get out and try to catch a fish.
Make it a good one.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
50 in the Willamette Valley, 69 for a high they say. Calling for a bunch of rain by 4PM.
It is 2:20 here and I can’t sleep. That doesn’t happen often. I woke up thinking about the house my daughter is putting an offer on. Dad will be knocking out walls for a pass thru I am sure if she gets it. This is the “kid“ that went hunting with me. She says she doesn’t want to take money from her savings account for a down. She only want to use her house buying account. Who’s kid is this anyway? She has paid of her student loans already and she is only 24. One proud dad.
Project for for the day is to get the camper cleaned out, washed, the tanks dumped and put under cover.
My friends brother finally got a deer two days after we left. He is a relentless hunter. He covers a lot of ground it one day. Notice the stand for hanging the deer? We don‘t mess around. 😜 Actually this area use to be covered in Juniper. It is BLM land (I know, don’t get me started) The ranchers lease the land and Junipers take a lot of water. For some mysterious reason the government has decided that the sage grouse are threatened and would do better without the junipers, so people are paid to come in and clear the land of junipers. This was cleared a few years ago. It has really changed the dynamics of hunting the area and left no place to hang a deer. One of the brothers I hunt with decided to buy this and put it in swing set at home after they hunt. The rise behind Steve use the be heavy with juniper and 20’ above him where some nice trees for hanging deer. This is near a road we got a lot of stares LOL

Have a good one gang.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 63 and clear, supposed to cloud up then clear and hit 73.
No plans for the day except solve a computer issue. When these problems occur it's nice to have a clear schedule.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Good morning friends. It’s 50 in Indy heading for 83. Quick stop at the pancake joint then I’ll head out for my first post-op round of golf. Don’t know what to expect vision wise but things are definitely looking better.
Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Great morning folks,

Our current temp is 38° with an unusual October high predicted to be 76° here near HalfwayUSA. According my amateur weather guessing skills, we are in the middle between the tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico and a North Atlantic storm off the coast of Labrador.

Yesterday's cool start yielded to a very nice day for this time of year. Tercilla seemed to thoroughly enjoy the nearby Chippewa Nature Center. We observed some great Fall color as well as quite a few few feathered forms of wild life. We walked between 3 & 4 miles. Lunch was in old down town Midland. It was good to see businesses bounce back after the flooding this past Spring.

We had a dinner at home in the early evening that included Navajo Tacos.

There is a another nearby little known park that we will visit today for a bit more bird watching.. I've been told I will have to find a rummage sale too.

Greyfox meets up with Skruske in Michigan and in less then 48 hours a plot was discovered to kidnap the governor. Coincidence ????
Ok, I will take that bait. ;) Just like our last president, I wish nothing but a long and happy life for our governess. WE DO NOT want to live in a world where the back lash from violent actions toward politicians leads to vindictive confiscation and destruction of our constitutional rights.

·
Administrator
11,775 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 50 here on the back porch, headed to 73 per the weather lady. But she has 41 right now, so how should I believe her? Looks like a beautiful sunny day ahead. I may have to take off a bit early and do some outside chores. Since it looks like Delta might bring some rain up the Ohio Valley, I may try to get some grass seed planted. I'll need to pull a few weeds and rake out the dead grass so I can over-seed the area. I'll also need to run by the farm to see if I can get a few bales of straw as well. I think I'll run over to the ole widow lady's grave and try to seed that too. She died in Feb and her brother in June. The a-hole running the cemetery left town with everyone's money and the county is trying to step in to keep up with "business". They never did throw any seed on top of either of the graves since they died, just threw the dirt back in. About all they are doing is mowing. Speaking of the old widow, I found a cherry pie in the freezer she gave me (actually 2). I forgot they were there. Last night I threw one in the oven. For being frozen for too long, it was actually pretty danged good. Not quite as good as JB's though.

Well, I guess I should get some things done. Still digging out from vacation. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
Good morning, GoGo. It's a warm 57 in Louisville, going to 82, maybe a little higher.

I don't know what the problem is, but all week I've had trouble getting my work-work done. Just can't seem to get motivated. That's gotta change. Maybe today.

I have another small skinning knife almost finished. Scales are made of Asian Satinwood, which looks a lot like fancy maple. I got the knife nearly finished and rubbed in a couple coats of oil. Only at that point did I notice a few small gouges in the wood. So, I spent 30-45 minutes yesterday hand-sanding to remove those gouges. Won't really know if I got 'em all until I start rubbing in more oil.

Doug, I'm real happy you're getting both pancakes and a round of golf today. Hope you have lots of "Wow!" moments with your bionic eye.

Greyfox, I really envy you getting to visit the Black Rifle Clinic up there in Michigan. Skruske has done what he could long-distance to help me diagnose some FTF issues on my rifles. The mechanical operation of these actions is pretty simple until you have a slight imbalance. At that point, there's a lot of "could be this, could be that."

Y'all have a good day and be safe out there.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Mornin boys...
phone says its 56 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Well, I finally slep in this morning...and I like it...lol
though about going hunting but it's been a pretty hard week
and I worked 3 hour over yesterday. Guess I'll go this evening.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless.

Donnie

PS... Tucker got a doe yesterday evening and the little monster
helped with the skinning. She helped with the squirrels and says
she wants to skin a turkey...

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
morning all. 37 here with high 70s for today, got into the low 80s yesterday, too warm for this time of year. Cloudy out this morning but the storm we were to get for Monday is gone already 0% chance of moisture now.
Running late, breakfast is over, cats and dog fed and time for me to be leaving for work. BUT here I am.
Got one tractor out of the shop and parked for the winter, and one swather serviced and ready to be put away too. May get another today, hope so. Cattle work tomorrow.
Not feeling to great this morning but hope I'll get over what ever it is when I get around and moving.
Have a great FRIDAY and weekend too. Prayers for those in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Morning Gents! Its 64º and cloudy here headed for the low 70's. The rain that we're forecast to get from Delta should arrive this afternoon.

Yesterday turned out to be a busy day. The Wife and I left out yesterday on a grocery run and had breakfast while we were out. My youngest Son called and wanted us to take his Polarus to the shop so after we unloaded groceries we hooked up my little trailer and drove over to his Duck Club for the Ranger. I was good and tired by the time we got home. My MS just kicks my but as far as stamina goes. The highlight for the day was that a H&G mold that I got on Ebay arrived. Its a #258, a Keith type SWC for 41 Magnum.

Todays plan is to take it easy until afternoon and then we will pick up the oldest Granddaughter and go visit our youngest Son and see his 2 boys. I think he's planning to grill something for us. He has a nice little covered in area in his back yard with a TV, fireplace and bar. The Wife may have to drive home!

Prayers offered for those in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Morning all,58 headed to 76 or so they say. Cloudy all day, rain starting this evening and continuing thru till Monday morning at least. More gun repairs on the agenda today, zero a couple more this afternoon. Got my hay hauled yesterday, good to go for the year I beleive. One of the cows, red angus I named nosy, cause she always is watching everything I do when outside. She was feeling her oats when we were moving the hay, ran up and started butting the bale. Anyway she turned around and butted the hay ring, and stirred up a yellow jacket nest underneath, they stung her around the mouth and face about 9 times, she took off up the hill bawling like she had went mad. The wife got all upset wanting to see what was going on with her till I explained it to her. The cow minded her own business and kept to herself afterwards. You all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, and our country, Buff out.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Pretty blue severe clear on the sunny side of Loo uh vull. But then any where away from the joint has to be brighter.
Mike, that's how we phrased and segregated (dare I use that word?) the job work from house chores w my son early on. Work and work work.
We have the 6yo grandson for a bit. He has helped us get on a schedule. E learning K lessons, play, nap etc. Mule rides and driving lessons, speed bag work while Papa exercises. Got a good sweat up. 4 guests coming in this w/e. One may bring a kitchen knife or two to be sharped up.
Weather has been gorgeous if not a bit warmish. Beans and corn are coming off everywhere.
I need to get ammo loaded and tested for the Tackdriver in Nov.
Dinah mowed yday, maybe last time? Nahh, prob one more. Still plenty dry w no rain for entire mo of Sep.
That's about it from my exciting life. No yard sales were attended during this message... ;)
Tom out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts