Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
43° here in Upstate NY this morning under cloudy skies. The high temperature for today is to get up to about 56°, it will be a sunny nice day with mild winds. Starting tomorrow it will be cooling off some to more seasonal temperatures.

Yesterday was a fairly quiet day for me which I enjoyed, I didn't have to be on the road and I got things here caught up some. It was to windy and cold for me to take Rusty out hunting. This morning Rusty and I will be going out bird hunting for the last time for at least three weeks. Deer season opens here tomorrow and then will run for three weeks, then muzzle loader and bow for another week.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Good luck today George. Looks like a good day for it.

52° here this morning and they say we’re headed for 63 later. I finally made it to the range after work yesterday with the 221 Fireball and it was like being reacquainted with an old friend. I wouldn’t win any benchrest matches with these groups but for as windy as it was, I was pleased with it. I got there around 3:30 and there were two guys packing up when I arrived. We had a nice visit and afterward I had the place to myself until it got dark. After I finished shooting, I cleared some fallen tree branches from the range and walked over to the pond and fished unsuccessfully for a bit. I won’t bore you with the story about “ the one that got away”.

I also took the 300 Blackout with some supersonic loads. What a flamethrower ! I could feel the heat on my face so I set up my camera and shot a video so I could see what it looked like from the side.

Yesterday was also my Uncle Dale’s birthday. He was the original owner of this Savage rifle so I sent him a picture of my target and said it was a 21-gun salute in his honor.

Y’all be careful out there today. Looking forward to seeing an update and some pictures from Skruske. I hope the Michigan Gestapo doesn’t confiscate his camera at the bridge.

B737FED3-7B6E-43F0-844E-89553D1A850B.jpeg
F4AD08E9-E7CF-4610-BDC3-0D9DA4DA4DFF.jpeg
707381A1-E681-4FDA-AAE0-A5921FA95BB4.jpeg
Make it a good day.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Mornin boys...
Looks to be about 30 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Working today, yeah I know i said I was off all week but I did take off
Monday and Tuesday...Going to take off next week. Went to a new hunting spot
after work yesterday and it may be a gooden. May try and hunt there some next week.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 34 and cloudy, gonna be 42 later. Yesterday was nice outside, I have not replaced my dead target stand so rounds were fired. I did stop by the local gunshop. They had no primers, no 22 rimfire, no 30 cal cast boolits. A couple of vintage 22 rifles looked appealing, but not the price. They have a 98 Mauser in 6mm marked U9 on the barrel. Kind of pricey but it's a Herter's. Looks like someone bought the stock and receiver separately and finished it themselves. I am thinking about it. It has an early Weaver scope mounted all for 450.00.
Today is the last day of freedom, Restaurants are closed after today, that means my favorite coffee shop. Thanksgiving gatherings are banned. Church gets to stay open, thanks for that.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Good morning from the Mountain State, it's 40* here and going to the mid 60's. Nice groups Carl, got my leaves up yesterday and hopefully I'm done with that. Farm duty this afternoon that's about it for me. You all have a Blessed Day in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio. 47 going to 60's maybe the last of the good stuff. Sure did get my spirits up seeing the buck yesterday and then Carl talks about 221 fireball. I have a savage rifle and a Remington XP-100 in 221, I love that cartridge for GH around this part of the country. My sister has a quilt she made to dry and is going to use my clothesline to dry it today. Be safe. Prayers to those and country. Mike

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Good morning from Indy. Starting the day at 55. Only gonna' warm up 5-6 degrees and should get some rain this evening. 204 brass processing continued yesterday. Got 300 primed and ready to turn into ammo and probably 2K more tumbled waiting to be sorted to be sized. The ammo inventory shows I need to load some .223 also. If I ever get to the range to shoot the .224 Valkyrie, I'll put some of that on the assembly line, too.

Went for a drive yesterday just to get out. One of the grandsons works for an outfit called Midwest Mole and I'd never been by there. He was off getting some wisdom teeth pulled but it was just a place to go. Trenchless Tunneling and Boring - Midwest Mole
If you happen to watch he Overview video, it is followed by other videos. Connor shows at 2:00 in the Safety Week video. He's 24, started at "The Mole" right out of high school. Works around 60 hours a week, likes it a lot, and loves it on payday!

Julie's up so it's time for Chef Doug to wrangle some breakfast. Have a good day.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Good morning everyone....52° here at the shop this morning and my phone is showing 63° for a hi today. I'll take it for sure just wish the wind would settle some. Tinkered in the garage last night but really didn't do anything productive. Carl talking about the Fireball reminded me I have one I need to shoot. Actually it was a 22ppc barrel for a Panda I got from Carl and I rethreaded it for a Savage and chambered it in 221FB and haven't had it out yet to test it out. Also that AR fireball pic reminded me of a coworker that had a 10.5" upper and we fired it off with his registered autosear.....the fireball and the damn noise of that thing was brutal.
I'll probably work on the tile boot again today after I try to fix a pitted hydraulic line. Guy that dropped it off from the dairy said the Coronavirus is running through there with most of the people there had it or now sick with it. I'm going to avoid that place for a while.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
Good morning folks. It's 35 and sunny here this last day of the work week. TGIF. I'm pretty much sacked and packed for bear. Working until about 1 today (maybe) then headed north to central PA. My buddy has a camp up there in prime bear country. I may be MIA for a few days with not much cell service. We'll probably see all kinds of bucks and no bears, but be happy to just get away. I miss our deer camp in the mountains. Next week is a short one, with rifle season at the end. I guess I should put in some vacation requests for next Friday too. Nothing planned, but who wants to mess up a perfectly good 4 day weekend?

My desk blind has not produced as expected. Deer sightings have slacked off here this week rather than increased? No bucks were spotted since Tuesday I believe. Things are winding down or the bucks are locked down. Today is the last day of PA Archery, so unless a dumb one walks out in the yard today, or I go to MD, I guess I'll put up the bow for the year. I don't hunt bow in the late season anymore. My buddy did kill a good one last night on the Eastern Shore of MD. He's been patiently passing up 3.5 year old bucks waiting for one of the 4.5's they have on cam and finally connected. Good for him. Guess he'll be in a good mood this weekend.

Well I better get going. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
morning all. 24 with maybe 55 today, storm coming for the weekend and Monday. Hope to get some moisture and not just the dirt blowing.
Cattle brought home yesterday, will move them out of the corral to pasture this morning, then I don't know what will go on from there.
Got one of the farm pickups serviced yesterday while waiting for cattle trucks.
Breakfast is over so time to do chores and get moving along.
Have a great FRIDAY be safe and healthy. Prayers for those that aren't and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Good sunny morning from the sticks of Kentucky where our Rat Gubenor has locked us all in the houses and nailed the doors shut.
That doesn't work well here in 606ByGawdKentucky. Lex and Louvil can do as they wish.

Yesterday I had a unscheduled trip to the Vet with Otis the Kat was pretty sick. Eye infection but it was systemic also as he had totally quit eating and drinking. His temp was up a bit so he got a couple shots. I got the $103 bill and meds.

I came back home and moved the Damcows to their last pasture before Hay Feeding. Then I attempted to feed a roll at Otis's house. Big POP when I squeezed the hayroll. Broke a bolt so a trip to the boltgettin place for a grade 5 3/4 bolt.
I did get to fire a few rounds scattered along the day with my LDS .204 Rem. I need to clean the bbl but it's still connecting.
JB talked to Gwyn in Colorado last night about quilt stuff. Them Wimmens. They buy big pieces of cloth, cut it into little bitty pieces and Try to sew it back together.???

Here's the one in progress, it's fir a gift to some woman at nursing home who was real good to her mom.

Rumor is Skruske is going to run the Mac Bridge gauntlet today. Hope the wind lays.

Have a safe day folks

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Doug, tell that grandson to be careful down there. When I was at Ladder 14 the neighbor to the fire house, Joe Burrell, a huge black man, was killed in a tunnel explosion caused by methane gas. They were putting an 18 foot tunnel five miles out under Lake Huron for Detroit Water System back in, I think, 1971. Something like 17 workers were killed and another 20 or so were injured. I told myself then that I couldn’t do that sort of work. I still think along the same lines.
And JR you posted while I was typing instructions to Doug’s grandson. Jan has advise for you. Never mind about the wimmenfolk buying cloth to cut up just so they can sew it back together. It could be worse; she could be cutting your pants up to do the same thing. In winter, that‘s a bad thing.
Current bridge conditions for Skruske:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Carl P, if you liked that blast, try that 300 BO with the muzzle brake off. A whole another experience.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
FB, Connor doesn't actually do any of the tunneling. He's mostly working around the yard loading and delivering equipment. "The moles", as they call 'em, have been there a while and are making BIG BUCKS! He sent me a video a while back of a boring machine in operation. Nothing like 18' but big enough for a man to walk through it.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
2nd time I have been on here today, something happened to my first morning post. Been busy today helping the wife pick up the house, clean the deer blood out of her Ranger, etc. Carl I am late to the .221 Fireball game, but really like mine also, it is a trued 700 with a Hart barrel, shoots way better than I can. I also like my .300BO's, Ar and bolt guns. That sure is a pretty Savage, factory barrel or aftermarket? Well got get back out to the shop, have some brass tumbling I need to check on, you all have a good one, Buff out.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
That sure is a pretty Savage, factory barrel or aftermarket?
Thanks Sam. The rifle originally came with a 6BR, which I still have , along with a 30BR barrel for it. The fireball is an aftermarket barrel that I got from a board member several years ago. He didn’t know the manufacturer or the round count but it sounded like a good deal So I took a chance on it. I’m glad I did. I wouldn’t consider it competitive but it will consistently hit Dum-Dum suckers at 100 yards on a calm day and I‘ve wasted a lot of time doing that.
Thanks to you and Skruske, I rarely make a trip to the range without a 300 Blackout. a cast bullet and a few grains of powder literally costs pennies to shoot and does a nice job on the furry vermin that comes creeping around the house at night.

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car, I really like the looks of your Savage, it is competitive enough for a good varmint rifle.

A beautiful buck that Charlies buddy got!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts