Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
21° here in Upstate NY under cloudy skies, the high temperature will be up to about 29° and it will remain mostly cloudy all day. It wasn't a bad day yesterday cold and windy but no snow and that was good.

I don't have any plans for today except to take it easy, I will be at home as I was yesterday. I did some work here yesterday that had to be done and I will do the same today. I am expecting two packages Fed Ex today and I was supposed to receive a package of bullets from a friend in MD on Wed by USPS. Well the package may or may not arrive today, we will see.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Good morning George, again glad to see you here.
Meanwhile in Waseca it's 24 degrees and that is the day. I need to make a grocery run today. I have been hearing rumors of hoarding again.
Yesterday I spent the better part of the day on the computer trying to keep the peace on my other website. The remainder of the day was spent working on Bubba. It is slowly turning into a usable rifle. Though I did recheck the chamber and it is a 308, not 7.5 Swiss as I originally thought.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
School just called and said code 3...which means
only maintenance is to show up...12 months employees..
We have til 10 to show up or we have to take a day.
Guess I'll go in and see how it gets...snow wise..

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio where there is no such thing as sunshine the thermo on the maple tree says 30.2 and high will be about 36, such as Ohio valley weather!!!! I like Ken need to make a grub run and a tour thru Rural King need to order the Henry in 357 and pick-up bolts for the rifle backstop. Doug so sorry about your friend Kinney, Prayers to you and his family. George hope your BD went well, did you use Charlie's gift??? (LOL) Time to scoot be safe and Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
32° and it’s only gonna warm up another 4 they say. Plinking at the range got done yesterday with the contender. Duty calls so I gotta run. Happy Birthday Elvis.

Make it a good day.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
morning all. 6 above this morning, only the low 30s today, storm tomorrow with possible snow and always wind!
Got busy doing odd jobs, as in fixing a couple flat tires, yesterday morning but worked on the service truck some in the afternoon, guess I'll have to pull the heads off and see what is going on there.
Got another round of brass thru the polisher and more waiting in it to run today. Didn't work on the stock last night. Maybe tonight.
Not much else going on but it's FRIDAY.
Have a great and safe day. Prayer's for all those hurting and ill. And our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Good mornin from the Mountain State, it's 29* here and some snow on the way. The gun shop shelves looked like a plucked chicken yesterday, I have never seen it like that and getting inventory back in is a joke. Oh well my guess now it will not get any better for some time, buckle you seat belts and hang on. You all have a good day today and be safe out there, keep our buddies in your Prayers.

·
Registered
12,711 Posts
Good morning GGVG..powder came in yesterday afternoon that was nice 15 pounds should do me till the next election lol
Uall have a great day!
Prayers sent

·
Administrator
12,052 Posts
Good morning folks. TGIF. Its 29 here headed to mid 30's, maybe higher if we are lucky. Going to be cloudy and blah again I think. We did have some sunshine late yesterday afternoon which was nice. Joez is right, its a sad situation at the gun shop and getting worse every day. We are in the middle of a big remodel, and frankly, I wonder if its even worth it? Little to no ammo at all, couple cases of this and that coming in and it goes as fast as we can put it out. Normally have 3000 guns in stock, down to about 1000 give or take.

Doug, sorry about ole Kenny but he's in a better place now. Sure doesn't have to worry about finding ammo or the pending downfall of America as we know it. There's always a bright side.

Well, I need to try to get logged on here this morning. So far, no good. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Twenty eight and going to thirty one doesn’t sound like a warm up. China, on the other hand is recording the highest temperatures in fifty years. I guess I’ll cross that place off my list of places to go. Maybe a trip to Port Huron is in the cards. After spending the day cutting and pinning on a quilt, I spent the evening prepping and loading the .220Russian for tomorrow, weather permitting.
Greyfox, I do believe that 6PPC shortened .100 is the cartridge dreamed up by Fred Hasecuster and called the Wall Dog or Tall Dog. Dick Wright also made it a .22 rather than a 6mm and rode that dog for most of his bench rest days later in his career. According to Dick it was a bear to form as opposed to the plain 6PPC. He was always a tinkerer looking for a shortcut to fame and fortune. Glorya still shot better than him. He always said he was the second best shooter in his house.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Great morning everyone,

Back to blue/grey skys with 25° now but not likely to get to 30° here near HalfwayUSA.

Yesterday's trip north was quite productive. Old hunting partner is a bit of a packrat with mile hoarder tendencies but in reality his just lazy enough not to bother throwing out stuff & it accumulates A LOT. Sort of like my run on sentences accumulate words. ;) He was in the mode to let me 'clean up' so I started in by sorting old junk mail - by sorting I mean pulling out the nickels from those few pieces that had been sitting on the kitchen table since '16. I also totaled up the number of pieces of mail that had $1,000,000.00 on the envelope. When I had over $8,000,000 we didn't bother with those measly $25,000 giveaways. :ROFLMAO: By the time we were done there were 9 nickels & one whole dime! Oh, we decided the $17,000,000 was better used to make BTU's in the woodstove. Afterward, we went to McDonald's where he had a large strawberry shake. All the strenuous activity made him tired so he laid down for a nap. I continued to work & managed to haul 5 sacks of old papers, magazines & junk mail out to the truck for disposal.

Hey, skruske, what kind of guard dog is that at the top of those stairs? Looks vicious, about like mine! Does the pup approve of the job?
Darrel/ in sunless Illinois
I suppose an explanation is needed. That is Lillie. She was my mom's dog. JRinKY calls it "the little foo foo dog" and is the type of dog you get when you inherit them. She was 12lbs & football shaped when we got her and had trouble climbing steps. Now she is a healthy 8-9lbs and keeps close tabs on Debra Dearest. She's been part of the HalfwayHouse for 6 years now & at age 13, will probably be around for a few more years.

ETA: Well after reviewing yesterday morning post, I noted how wonky those steps look. o_O:rolleyes:

I can only guess it is the result of camera aspect angle. I can only offer assurance the steps were not procured from a carnival ride.

·
Administrator
12,052 Posts
that's not surprising Scott...I bet if I'd spend a few years at your place, you'd work me so hard I'd be down about 40 pounds as well. 😁

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Good morning check in from the sticks of Kentucky where the weather here is about the same as everyone elses.
Yesterday, I stayed in my cell and JB went to doctor visit and sneaked in Kroger for some sawdust muffins. Skruske eats Gravel and she eats Sawdust.
I had a new calf successfully yesterday and another one expected today...hopefully safe.
Coyote George got Powder for his birthday! I received my AA 2230 Also and a Package from Bruce Eakins in Oklahoma. Thank you sir and I will send your postage money today!!

I hope yall are set with components and ammo because the NEXT Election is already Fixed also. The Leftists have figured it out now and are in power permanently. Don't even bother to vote in a national election.

JB has another late delivery Christmas presents in the mail also, be here someday maybe.

Off to feed Cows and Cats. Be safe today and stay low.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Morning all, 33 headed to 38 today. ,Docs appt this am, routine foot doc every 9 weeks. That and maybe the grocery store is it, and that is just the wife going in. Our covid cases has skyrocketed, 189 active cases, and over 100 new ones last 2 days, folks around here are idiots. I guess since they think the vaccine is becoming available this is all going to blow over. JR and I were talking the other day, about staying home, and it makes more sense all the time. We carry sanitizer with us, and wipe our hands down as quick as we get back in the car, no matter where we go, and wash our hands again when we get back home. If I didnt have my man cave/shop to get out to, I would have gone round the bend long ago. It is routine now, and staying home aint so hard. Doug sorry about Kinney, prayers sent for him and family, and anyone else in need, Buff out.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Good morning crew....30° here at the moment and not sure where it'll get to today. Got a part to modify asap before I leave so that makes everything hectic today. I rolled into the hog barns again last night and i went around the corner and clicked the suburban up into neutral and coasted to a stop. I pulled up the scope and out in the field was another coyote eating on another chunk of pig carcass they drug out there. I got a good rest and figured I'd just hold at the top of his back and let one fly. Must have been a low shot as he bolted out of there. After he left I pulled out my range finder and if I kept both eyes open I could get an aimpoint in the dark to the tree line which was about 300 yards. I should have done that right off the bat and adjusted the scope as it never any acted like i was there so I'm sure I had the time. I rolled back in this morning right after daylight and one was on it way out off in another field.
I also got the blower fixed in the blazer so it just need an oil change and tires before Tuesday. It still has all the spare hoses and belts and a few spare parts in the back from my SD trip last May. Hopefully they are not needed on the trip!

Doug sorry to hear about your friend Kenny.

George and Jr good deal on the powder shipments. I picked up a jug of 2230 a while back with a new Rockchucker press kit and 1000 .223 cases for cheap. I should have ordered more stuff last time but didn't. I got enough loaded up and stashed back to make another pdog trip without needing to load very much at all.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Anyone have a extra set of used .30-06 dies collecting dust? Figured I'd toss that up there before ordering a set.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Morning Gent!

Its 34º here with the Sun shinning and headed for the low 40's

Yesterday we drove over to the Doctor's place to check on the water and run any Geese off that were there. We had have not been seeing any Ducks but there were quite a few yesterday. After we got back I helped the Wife load the car and took my Son's Duck hunting crew their Supper.

Not much planned for today. If my running buddy doesn't call the Wife and I may go looking at side by sides. I'm probably going to get another Polaris, mainly because there are several dealers within 30 miles of us. If not, I always have something to tinker with in the loading room.

On another note. I was making plans to rebarrel my Deer rifle but I decided to order another action and just build another rifle. The barrel was already on order and I am waiting on a scope that was backordered. That will balance out what the Grandkids will inherit some day!

I was sorry to hear about Doug's friend.

Prayers offered for those fighting the Covid, for our Country and for those in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Doug, my sympathy to you, Julie and Kenny’s family on his passing. You will always have memories of the good times together.

Stay safe.

Best,
Dave

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Good morning guys. Running a little late this morning but running. OK, so I'm not running but I am moving. Good enough. Had dinner with 2 grandsons last night. One had his girlfriend in tow, the other is the Coastie home for the holidays. He just finished training at Yorktown, VA and is reporting to Grand Haven, MI on the 18th. In true military style, he has 10 days to get his off-station apartment squared away after which he's quarantined for 14 days. Scratching my head over that. But, it was good to see him and we're hoping to get together again before he heads north. A few of you met him at the Rebel Gray Classic held at the Dasher Dome and the Moonshine Mountain shoot afterward. The other grandson in attendance is my golfing buddy. We see them often. The boy don't miss many meals, particularly when grandpa is buying. Used to like him a lot more when I could beat him on the golf course but that was when he was in middle school. Now, he beats me like a borrowed mule.

Saw a TV show last night about the Hornady 6 ARC. They touted it as the be-all-end-all 6mm. Looked online and found a different take on it. The author called it winning the "race to the bottom". Said the factory loads are the slowest 6mm available. The TV showed piqued my interest but I ain't doing it. Every time I've jumped on a new-to-me cartridge it goes belly-up. Witness the .17 Fireball and the .224 Valkyrie. They aren't dead but their health is in question.

Thanks for the thoughts on Kenny. He's sure in a better place with his wife of 60+ years and didn't suffer long in this messed up world. Died in his sleep. We should all be so lucky.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Greyfox, I do believe that 6PPC shortened .100 is the cartridge dreamed up by Fred Hasecuster and called the Wall Dog or Tall Dog. Dick Wright also made it a .22 rather than a 6mm and rode that dog for most of his bench rest days later in his career. According to Dick it was a bear to form as opposed to the plain 6PPC. He was always a tinkerer looking for a shortcut to fame and fortune. Glorya still shot better than him. He always said he was the second best shooter in his house.
36º at sunrise although the sun isn't showing itself today. Low 40's will be as high as it gets. Still, it's decent January weather. The next few weeks look about the same. I won't comment on the elections etc except to say I'm pretty pissed. Several small chores to do today, but the only important one is an orientation for a new member at the range this afternoon.
Francis, I'll comment a little on the cartridges. I've competed with the 220 Beggs for about ten years and picked up a fair amount of fake wood. The difference between a Beggs and a 220 Russian is a tiny radius at the neck/shoulder junction. I'm told it is to inhibit case stretch, which it does. I shot it once for an entire season and the cases grew about .005. The Waldog was done, I think by Dan Dowling. It is a short 22 PPC and was originally -.80. There is a -.100 and a -.125. But don't quote me. Fred Hasecuster did create the Talldog which is a shortened 6BR and meant to mimic the case capacity of a 6 PPC. It was done when PPC cases were in very short supply. Or at least that's what I've been told. Case forming for the 22 PPC-.100 is not that difficult if you start with a Norma 22 PPC case. You push the shoulder back with a shortened 22-250 die, trim and turn the necks. With Lapua 220 Russian, it is more involved, but maybe worth it. Mike Radigan is supposed to have said, "it's like legal cheating".

G'day Y'all,
Rick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts