Varmint Hunters Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well I've got a full day today. Son called about dark and said come on down, we have a project. Turns out he was finally tackling cleaning out our old reloading room in the "old" garage. anyway, so far, I have about 8 cardboard boxes...did I say large....full of asst. loaded ammo, empty brass, asst. shot gun shells. Wiped dust off several takeoff rem 700 barrels, stocks, gun cases. Found an unopened can of powder, I'm talking the old red metal can, I think 8-10# and I think it was 2400 or Unique. A real antique. Found another 5000 large rifle primers in another cabinet. I'll probably be listing odds and ends of various "stuff" in the next week or so on here. Lots of things we no longer need, but maybe some of the family on here just can't live without it...LOL
If you've misplaced anything in the last 25 years, I probably found it.
I found probably 12-15 boxes of 12 and 20 gauge shell (all 2's, 4's, 5's, 6's, and buckshot OO and O. Lots of slugs. Lot';s of stuff to sort...should keep me busy for few days.
Prayers for our Country and all Y'all

·
Registered
666 Posts
Oh and we didn't make a very big dent in the old room. Probably take 3-4 more hitches of that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bruce, you might want to open that metal can and check it's condition. I recently checked some IMR 4064 and 4350 in metal cans and the cans were rusting inside. I transferred the contents to empty plastic jugs to see if it's rust dust or decomposing powder causing the reddish dust. I'm afraid it's powder going bad but have my fingers crossed. Granules still look like they should so I'm not sure what exactly is going on. Has been stored correctly, no big temperature swings, humidity controlled, etc. Dated 1990 so it's been opened a while. 2 of the cans of 4350 had never been opened.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Bruce and Ken, my experience has been okay with old powders. If it looks rusty and smells very acrid/acidic, it is bad. Use it as a garden/lawn fertilizer (scatter lightly and water in) or spread it out thin in a metal pan and burn it. I have some of the old flat IMR metal cans that date from the 1980's, and that is still okay. If the powder smells a bit sweet, more like an organic solvent, it is probably okay.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I made it to the range today. As expected, I was the only one there. My cousin had put new hardened rollers in a CZ52 for me and I wanted to try it. Not my favorite pistol, but I still have fun shooting it. Those bottle neck pistol cartridges (7.62x25) sure are hot. And yes, it was cold.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Probably will never open it. Just set on a shelf and look at it.....lol

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
CZ52s are fun, but very loud, and got one to have a weapon with the roller block action. I got one when I found one at a decent price, and figured I would never spend the money to get a H&K rifle with that action. I have some buddies who had Class 3 rifles back in the 1980's before their prices went bananas. I did get to shoot them all back then.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts