Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
19° here in Upstate NY this morning, we have some light snow, fog and mist. The high temperature for today is to get up to about 31° and we many possibly get another inch of snow before it quits.

Yesterday was a fairly quiet day, we were lucky if we got 1/2" of snow yesterday. I spent sometime on the phone making some appointments and the rest I spent with Rusty. It shouldn't be to bad a day today, I have some work I have to do here but I am not buried.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio still cool at 22* going to 22 . The Kubota parts arrived and the repairs were made so now the snow chase begins, easier to move dry than when wet in a couple of days. Need to call the dentist and schedule another app. guess that what it takes to get fake teeth to work. Back to starling education with a box of Remington sub-sonic ammo I found. Be safe Prayers for warmth those in need and our nation. Mike

·
Registered
12,852 Posts
Mornin boys...
Phone says its 32 here high on RUGER this morning.
Looks like it's going.to drop to the mix 20s before it
starts back to the mix 30s.later today. I thought about taking off today
but may go in. You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 3 above, high of 14. Staying home this morning, researching and writing, coffee shop this evening.
Yesterday, shooting was good and bad. New trigger in the CZ dropped the pull weight to 8 ounces or so. Really nice but there's a learning curve that goes with it on how to grip the rifle. I got a sling hooked up for the first time, once I figure it out it's going to make a big difference in stability.
I see the in-laws in Texas got power yesterday, their water lines are still frozen.
Glad to be in Minnesota right now.
Hope everyone has a blessed day,
Ken

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks like 18 degrees with light snow falling to start things off here in CT this morning. Snowed most of the day yesterday and had less than 2" at 9pm. Might get up to another 2" here today if the weather folks can be believed. Looks like there might be a warm up next week and maybe it will begin to shrink the snow pack. In the meantime, woodstove is cranking and the cats are guarding it 24 hours a day and making sure my wife and daughter feed it regularly. Hope all you folks have a good one and the weekend is just around the corner. Not that the days are much different in content but the phone doesn't ring as much.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great morning everyone,

A 'pleasant' 19° with cloud cover for now here near HalfwayUSA. Lake effect snow from the east lightly fell most of the day yesterday but we only received about 1". High today 27°.

As I expected, the furnace at my old hunting partner's place is done & the two HVAC guys who worked on it for a combine 5 hours had to 'condemn' by about 6pm. A direct replacement is about $2700 installed. He was within a couple months of filling in a debt hole he has had all his life & someone handed him a shovel. His plan is to put it on a 0% credit line he has with Discover. It is expected the new one will be installed Monday. Meanwhile, he'll keep the woodstove burning.

My Polaris 500 4wheeler would not start yesterday & it would not take a charge. I suspect the battery froze they other night. I think it's time to order a more robust $battery. I ended up using the RZR to move firewood, after playing around in the snow drifts first. :ROFLMAO:

Corey, Mike & I made a group buy on "some" bullets. My portion was only $288 but that will be enough to fill a couple ammo buckets so fun can be had later this year.

Last evening a few minutes after dark, six deer wandered into the yard, as they've done for the past few nights & cleaned up the critter food. They were not to skidish even when I shined a bright light on them. I've seen this before when winter is stressing them. If I had to guess, based on experience, our winter is going to linger well into April.

And here's one to make you ponder...

I suppose if you are out of snares, spread some peanut butter on a frozen stretch of rail.

·
Registered
9,560 Posts
Good morning all. It’s 9 in Indy. Must be going to warm up some cause we’re heading south shortly. Breakfast thru the car window. Dandridge, TN tonight, Hilton Head tomorrow, golf Sunday.

On the road again. Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Good mornin from the Mountain State, it's 31* and a little sleet on the ground. Boy the weather guessers sure missed it yesterday, they said we could get 10 to 12" of snow and no go, I'm kind of glad actually. I got farm duty today, who knows what that will bring, you all have a good day and stay warm.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
morning all. 3 above with mid 30 later. Don't think it got above freezing yesterday but the snow that we had has sure gone off...somewhere.
Another new calf yesterday for the boss man, now they should really start dropping several every day. Lots of close cows, today was their due date.
Got the oil changed on my little F-150 farm pickup yesterday afternoon, but that's about all that got done in the shop.
Whacked a couple coyotes yesterday, thanks to JR for posting the pics for me. Hit another and it got away minus one front leg. It will be hanging out with the cows in a few days.
Have a happy FRIDAY and be safe and warm what ever you all age doing. Prayers for the needy and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Administrator
12,147 Posts
Good morning folks. TGIF. It's a chilly 27 here with clouds. Yeah Joe, they messed up here too. Forecast was 5-8" North and West and 3-5" South and East. Yup, South and East got it. My daughter had 7 inches an hour east of me. We had 2 inches and a coating of ice. I didn't do anything with it yet. The way it was freezing I didn't want to scrape off the snow and make it worse. I'll finish my coffee, check in with work then plow later. Looks like a warming trend next week. Maybe some of this will go away?

Yesterday after work I finished up loading a couple hundred 38 specials and some more 55 gr plinkers for the AR. Used up some 55 gr soft point bullets I got that barely group 5 inches at 20 yards. They go bang. Good for playing around in the back yard, letting someone who's never fired an AR dump a mag usually brings a big smile. Found some more 223 brass I didn't know I had. Might try to load another ammo can full of 55 fmj's at some point.

Well, I'm not getting anything done rambling. Better get busy. Prayers offered. Have a good one.

Charlie

PS - JR, what do you think of this?

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
We’ve been getting the lake effect Skruske mentioned all night to the tune of about 4 inches. Being close to the lake has its downside this time of year. My brother lives right on Lake Huron fifty miles north of us and they got over 2 feet of snow the other night while we waited in line to get one foot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good Morning all....12 degrees in so central KY this morning.
Need to handload a few rifle cartridges today.
All y'all take care and stay safe .
Dave

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I see in the daily blab that much of the electricity is back on in Texas. That same news page said that Ted Cruz has returned to Texas. Two plus two equals four. Ted turned the light switch on?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Morning Gents!

Its 14º here headed for the upper 20's and the Sun is out. It looks like things will start warming up tomorrow.

Yesterday was mostly keeping the fireplace going and keeping the bird feeders topped off. I did manage to prime those 100 Lapua cases that I found.

Not much planned for today. Keeping wood in the fireplace and keeping the bird feeders topped off is the plan of the day. I need to get a box mailed off so I may check to see if the post office is open.

The streets in the neighborhood are covered in packed snow and the kids are having a blast pulling sleds around with their side-by-sides. It makes me wish that the one I have ordered would get here.

Prayers offered for Mr Murl and Mr Bruce. Also for any that are fighting the Chinese Virus, our Country, and any who are working outside or traveling.

You'all have a good one.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
No overnight snow or blow. 0 wind this morning and plenty sunny. Walk is still clear. The small flat rate box that was on a Walkabout in PA found its way yday. I like happy endings.

Found an old "keeper" pistol tgt. Operant word being OLD. 8/10 shots IN a thumbnail 10 ring at 20 yds, offhand BE style. No scratch tens. I can shoot an easy 50' in the heated shop but dont have the fire in the belly to practice. Vox command box, trap, plenty of rf ammo and all. Haven't been to indoor pistol Club in years. What's wrong with this? I know I haven't retained the skills like Sam has but not very motivated to do any practicing to keep from slipping further into the abyss. ???

Our big heat wave is supposed to tickle 60° next week. It's gonna be one muddy mess. That is the downside of the thaw.

Still living out of coolers. Fridge repair man is due next TH. I have been sticking my creamer and dedicated milk cup in a snow bank outside the back door. Coolers inside the garage awa outside. Yayyyy LG and Sears Home Repair. :/ :/

So Doug is doing his Annual near my old stomping grounds. I wonder if he has discovered the Squat and Gobble on the main drag in neighboring, close by Bluffton? An unassuming place that was always half full it seemed. Gun shop across the street within a block or two.

It's TT day w exercise/wgt room chaser. I'm hoping I can switch the leades from oscillator to frequency of serve. Trying to hit with right form every second ain't happening. I definitely don't need to further ingrain bad habits.

Our Boy jojo is beseeching Congress: To enact common sense gun laws.... Here we go - again. :/ I hope we can weather this onslaught. That road is narrowing.

Time to huff and puff . Tom out

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Good late morning from the sticks of Kentucky where it wuz 24° but no wind so no problems.
Damcows are all fed along with the neighbors cows so I am good to go.
I had help this morning so i didnt have to get out of the cab about a dozen times. Judy Brown decided to go Help today....wearing boots....not barefoot.

This type of Rack is really heavy, But the cows won't tear them apart. Not gonna buy any more.

The trick is to get them on their edge and I use the lift on the tractor to stand the up...Maybe.

Yall have a nice day and be safe if you are out messin with the ice and snow.

I heard on the news that the Lectric outage folks in eastern Eastern Kentucky is down to 70,000 customers. County Coyote George lives in had over half the county out and still has a lot out of electric.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I’m back in and safe from snow blowing the drive, JR. I haven’t even bothered to look and see what is coming to mess things up . joebiden is on the other side of the state so he may draw some of these politicians his way thereby causing less damage here. I will grant him all the vacation time he needs as long as he take the camel with him.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Morning all, barely. Just got power back on, they had it off replacing a broken pole for the last 3 hours. That is the extent of our outage this whole go around, feel greatly blessed. JR, the wife and I have about decided to sell all of our cows this next fall, and just buy a few steers in the spring to keep the place picked down, and sell them in the fall. I can get out in this, but it aint much fun, and the wife could have easily broken a hip 2 days ago when she fell. Aint worth the trouble or the risk. Got to run a few errands at town today, not much else going on. You all have a great day, prayers for those that need them, Buff out.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Yer right Sam. A broken hip for folks near us in age can sometimes put the skids under us and it is downhill from there. I am getting shorter but it seems the ground comes up 2x as fast. I have taken a tumble or three the last 5 years working around the place. I don't try and catch myself but take the fall, like judo will teach and never a stretched muscle. However, the toss off the melon wagon? I was impacting abt the same time I realized I was airborn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts