Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
62° here in Upstate NY this morning and we are having a shower. We are to get up to about 78° today and it will be mostly cloudy today with a chance of more rain. There were some severe thunderstorms in the area late afternoon into the evening yesterday but they missed me..

I was on the road for a bit yesterday but it wasn't to bad, the rest of the day I basically took it easy. I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to do about the gun club this year as far as contiinuing being the Sec/Treas. My best friend of 55 yrs is giving up being a trustee at the nominations this year, and we are going to have to elect a new VP also.

Today I would like to go up and shoot for a time this morning but I will have to wait and see how the weather is going to be. Other than that I will take the day as it comes.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 58 now going to near 80 with fog. Two days of light rain gave us a total of 3/4 inch of water. I will be tackling the weeds that seem to grow fast after a little moisture, may stop to ruin a black birds day. My best friends are coming over this afternoon to check out my garden. Be safe Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's 73 and clear, high of 95. At least the humidity is low. I may have to get the car out for a spin in the country.
Yesterday shooting went well. The DSM Mauser shot well. That's a relief considering the nasty, dirty condition it was in. I put several rounds through the S&W 22 revolver. I have owned it for 50 years and have found a new pleasure in shooting it.
The lighting at the indoor range is not the best for iron sights and I had a tough time with the Mauser and its very fine sights.
Happy Friday everyone,
Enjoy this day,
Ken

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Great morning folks,

65° with barely a breeze and a sky that wants to clear off here near HalfwayUSA. 80 something for later

Yesterday's windshield time to get my old hunting partner to Traverse City and back home was worth it. Dr. called me right after the procedure to stretch his throat & said it went very well and he is happy with the results. Old hunting partner was a bit groggy for the trip back to his house. A McDonalds shake kept him busy much of the way. He hit the couch as soon as we got him in the house . I did one more small chore & headed back home myself.

I got back just in time to share dinner with the Wyoming grandkids before they headed to the other grand parents home.

Hopefully, we'll get some important rummage sale-ing in today.(y)

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Mornin boys...
Looks like it's 60 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
Woke up around the new normal work time but done my
best to go back to sleep. Didn't work but I tried.
rained most of the day but no downpour, we needed it.
heard the pawnshop had powder come in yesterday.
I recon a pretty good selection, varget, h4350, 4064 and several
more. May ride up just to see it...lol You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
Good morning all. Looks like no rain today with a high in the low 80s. Heading for the range to sight in some p dog artillery and plink some steel. BIL and his bride are going along after they drop the foo-foo dog at the groomer. We need to get our shooting done and get back before 465 does it’s daily transition to a big circular parking lot. Breakfast thru the truck window.

Off we go. Have a good day.

·
Administrator
12,422 Posts
Good morning folks and TGIF! It's 66 here and foggy/cloudy. Going to 83 with humidity...it's gonna be sticky. May get some storms later too. We had a line of storms roll thru here about 3 PM yesterday. Rained pretty good. I worked at the gun shop a bit then after dinner, went to work on the tractor. Bought 2 champion 3071 spark plugs...at least that's what the box said. Had a 3071 and a 3013 in the box. Guess I'll take the 3013 back today. Just my luck. Tractor seems to run a bit better with one of the 10 year old plugs replaced. See how it runs with both new.

Well I need to get busy. Lots to do today. I wish I was home but I'm in the office. Hope to ski-daddle a little early. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Good morning and TGIF, GoGo! It's 61 in Louisville, going to 85 and sunny. We got half an inch of rain Wednesday and another four-tenths yesterday in three brief downpours.

My big news yesterday didn't come until about 7 p.m., when Miss Cindy was on her way home. She said the Sonata (our newer car) was running like crap. She nursed it home and I took a quick look. Appears to be either a fouled plug or maybe a coil. Gotta diagnose and try to replace the bad part today. If it's a plug, I'll replace all four. The car only has 85k, so it's a little early for the plugs to need replacing. Just have to see.

While we're talking vehicles, this same Sonata is using oil and has had me mystified. No oil drips on the driveway and the exhaust isn't smokey, so I have no idea where the oil is going. A little Internet research showed that lots of newer cars are using lots of oil, even nice cars like Audis and BMWs. Apparently most of it has to do with the piston rings not doing their jobs as well as in the past. I did call Hyundai a couple of weeks ago and the service guy told me Hyundai says your car has to be "using" a quart every 1,000 miles to classify it as excessive. I'm just shaking my head.

Y'all have a good'n, be safe, and lift up prayers for our friends and our nation.

·
Administrator
12,422 Posts
Well Mike...the big thing with the new 4 stroke boat motors is they MAKE oil. Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either, but it's true!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Mike, the warranty dept on vehicles will say or do anything
to avoid standing behind the warranty. I have a 2018 Silverado
w/32K mi that has a transmission shutter. The truck has a 60K
power train warranty. The fix, change to a different type of fluid.
They did that at GM expense. It wasnt a complete cure. I wanted
it changed a second time. GM says that will be at my expense $355.
I paid it and still the problem is intermittent. The dealership said that's
all they were going to do. I have an appointment at a GM dealer in
Hopkinsville Ky on the 8th. The service writer accepted the truck knowing
what had previously occurred w/GM. We will see. Yall have a goodun. LDS

·
Administrator
12,422 Posts
Larry, I don't have a 4S, but frequent a boat forum and it seems to be a topic that's often discussed. I honestly don't understand it at all and don't know the cause or the cure. Here's a search on "make oil" over on the boating forum for you to read if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Morning Folks!

Its 63º and partly cloudy here headed for the mid 80's.

We arrived back home late yesterday evening from our Prairie Dog Safari. Construction on I-40 made an 11 hour trip into a 12-1/2 hour trip! We had a great time and shot lots of Dogs. It started raining on us on the way out there when we were about an hour away. It let up long enough for us to unload at our room and then the bottom fell out. Torrential rain, wind, lightning and a Tornado was on the ground about 8 mile east of us. They ended up with 3.5 inches of much needed rain. It rained again during 2 other nights. Despite the wet fields we had one of our better hunts. The morning lows were in the upper 40's and the highs were in the 70's.

Todays plan is to unpack and get the dirty clothes to the laundry room, the gun stuff to the loading room and clean a rifle or two. And take it easy. I already started that off by sleeping late!

Prayers offered for our members fighting health problems, our Country and any others in need.

You'all have a good one.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Typing this morning in the shipping/loading room. Dumb me didn’t plug the computer into the electricity in the wall last night. So, I brought the pad down to the basement to save the steps up and down to handle things. I have a couple action wrenches and one barrel vise to send out today.
It looks like it could rain but the weather guy says no rain. We could use it. I have n air rifle match tomorrow that I have to get ready for and that’s about it. Of course the boss isn’t up yet so that may change. She hits the floor running and that means I have to run too. I did install a couple child/pet grilles on the sliders yesterday. At $100.00 for the grills this Basset is getting expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Good morning everyone....turned out to be a nice morning here at the shop. Got most of what needed to get done finished up this morning. Going to try to get out of here early today to go to the Elks club to eat with my mom and stepdad.

Mike I don't know about Kia but a lot of newer cars have low tension piston rings to reduce friction and supposedly to increase mileage. It seems they all used more oil. If you don't have a leak that you can find it is getting burnt and either getting by the piston rings or valve guides or if the PVC system is getting clogged sometimes they can pull oil into the intake manifold and get burnt that way. When I got my Suburban and pulled the intake it had a big puddle of oil in it where it had been coming out of the valve cover and getting in there. GM updated the valve cover on that side of the engine later on. Also GM put an oil pressure relief valve that pointed right up towards the bottom of one of the pistons that caused oil to be burnt. They made a deflector to fix that later. I had the heads off it and at 225K miles there was very little cylinder wear...usually a ridge at the top of cylinder where the ring stops. The guy that machines my engine parts told me about the low tension rings that was the first time I heard of them. I believe there was a class action against Chevrolet over the oil consumption/engine issues. I'm sure
I would google search for recalls and problems with those cars I'm sure you'll find something out there.

Hope everyone has a good day!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Morning all, 67 heading to low 80;s today, going to be hot and sticky. Got several things to do in the shop today, need to zero 3 rifles, do a trigger job on a Savage Axis first. Also need to mow my yard and moms today, will probably need to do that last. Also deliver a rifle I sold to a dealer, he wants it for his collection. Got to pick up some meds for mom also, promises to be a busy day.You all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
morning all. Still morning here, just barely though. Was 38 this morning, now almost 70.
Been a busy morning, sprinklers started, worked around the shop, cattle in the corral for branding, 235 to brand today. I'm doing other things!!! Boys are going to get a workout.
Gwyn is still in the city with our niece, her hubby is some better but not good at all.
Better get, lots to do today. Have a happy FRIDAY and be safe. Prayers for those in need and our country.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Lunchtime here in the Sticks of Kentucky. I have been in a hay field all day so far....cut down what I quit in last night and fluffed it up along with the part that was left over a few days ago. It got rained on pretty good so it has to dry out a lot today. Roll it into balls this evening....its evening now....later evening.
First class lunch of Beenie Weenies and Vienna Sausages. JB went somewhere after I took the tractor away from her....she found a Dinosaur whole she was fluffing hay. Coyotes drug it out of the burn pit I say.

Years ago they drug a water hose around the fields for a whole year.

Lot of work here to be done in a couple days.

I have a wheel about a 30° angle on fluffer, Bearing to be hammered out I says.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts