Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
57° here in Upstate NY this morning, it is overast with a lot of fog, the high temperature for today will be getting up to about 72°, it will remain mostly cloudy all day after the fog lifts with a mild breeze.

Yesterday was a mixed bag for me, I had originally planned on going hunting with Rusty but I wanted to get my car being hit straightened around. I talked to the customer's insurance and they are sending an appraiser to look at my car. I also ended up working on a laptop, I put a new hard drive in it and reloaded the OS on it. Today Rusty and I are heading out the door early going bird hunting.

Have a Wonderful Day Everyone.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Good morning from Waseca, it's cloudy and 63, rain just passed through. Sunny and 73 later.
I made it to the range yesterday, CZ 22 really shot well with the few rounds of m
SK match. When I switched to the expensive Aguila 22 match group opened up to an inch or more, at 50 yards.
I had a few cast loads for the 3006. I think they shot well, I had troubles with the iron sights.
Last evening I went out with a group of folks to celebrate the October birthdays.
I need to see if Microsoft has restored files I need to work. It's going to take another week before the process is done.
Hope everyone has a great Friday,
Ken

·
Registered
13,508 Posts
Mornin boys...
64 here high on RUGER Mt this morning.
rained most of the nite and probably will most of the day.
may take off at dinner to take the crossbow to get worked on.
You all have a gooden today and GOD Bless...

Donnie

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good morning from NC Ohio 63 going to near 80 and showers plus high humidity. Not much accomplished yesterday with the slight mist outside and all the domestic work interfering with any fun time. That's retirement for ya, hey KF when' the release date for you? Be safe Prayers to all and country. Mike

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
morning all. 38 with 70 possible, and breezy, wind for tomorrow and showers of some sort Sunday.
Really didn't get much done yesterday morning but finished up the baling in the afternoon, now I can clean up the balers and park them
for the winter!!! But first need to get antifreeze checked in everything around the farm, will take a couple day for that.
Doc appt. this morning for a problem toe, hope it's really nothing... we'll see.
Have a happy FRIDAY and be safe. Prayers for all with health issues, little Ellis, and others.
GOD BLESS. Dean

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Good morning all,I've been off the board for a little while, been working hoot owl shift and it has about killed me, not enough help at work. I go in Monday for knee replacement, 3 1/2 weeks ago the cancelled it due to the china virus and only doing emergency surgeries. I'm ready to get this done. It's 61 here and 40% chance of rain today. Hope all are well, you all have a good one today.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Great morning folks,

While 64° is nice enough for this time of year, a gray sky and threat of rain is what the day holds here near HalfwayUSA.

The trip from Little Bay De Noc was without issue. The stop by old hunting partner's place got a few things accomplished.
The only thing of note was at a fuel stop where a young guy approached and was in need of a jack to change a flat (and ruined) tire. My 6 ton hydraulic jack would not fit under his low slung car. He poked around in his trunk a bit more & found a scissors jack but no handle to raise it. We improvised as by jamming a socket over the loop & then ratcheted it with the tools I had in my truck. In that process my shirt uncovered my carry gun. The other 'kid' with him got really wide eyed & stepped back around the car. After a few minutes we had his donut mounted and ready to go. Guy asked me "what do I owe you?"
My standard reply is "nothing, though you are now obligated to help someone else".

We got home about 6pm and got busy cleaning the camper so making ready for the next trip will go quicker.

·
Administrator
12,745 Posts
Morning folks. Happy POETS day. It's 62 here, headed to 80-ish later with clouds. I'm ready for a cool down myself. Tired of blah and dreary days too. Speaking of cool down, I saw temps in the upper plains are into the 80's and even 90's this week. They said Oct will be 10 degrees above average and dry. T2F is probably in the middle of harvest, I'd imagine. The bottom will probably drop out when I'm there and it'll snow A-hole deep to an elephant knowing my luck. Getting into my busy season here the next few months. Archery is in, early MZ bear/deer starts next Sat, youth day then 2 weeks vacation. I ain't had 2 weeks off in 20 years or more. After I get back the rut should be in full swing here, then rifle bear, deer, Christmas, late MZ. It'll go by fast I'm sure.

Well, I need to get a few things done here this morning quick, then I have some windshield time. Have to drive an hour for a 20 minute meeting, then an hour back. It all pays the same and gets me out of the office a bit. Prayers sent. Have a good one!

Charlie

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
We had rain for a while yesterday but there was a big enough window in between the showers that I managed to get the Cub Cadet rider back from the shop. There really was no hurry there as with all the rain it’s too wet to mow anyway. And the ground won’t support the mower either. It should come as no surprise that it’s raining again now. Jan spent a lot of the time in the kitchen yesterday making cookies for a wake for the neighbor. That will be in their barn Saturday. I saw the annual results for USARB rifle matches for the US in 2021 and I did better than I would have thought. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Morning Everyone!

Its 63º and cloudy here headed for 90. Summer just keeps on hanging around!

Yesterday the Wife and I dropped a ring off at a jewelry store to have it resized. We searched with no luck for a store that would appraise some of her other jewelry. We had a late lunch at a place called Davids Burgers, a favorite of ours, and dined on the parking lot. I'm about ready for this Covid stuff to go away! A shooting buddy stopped by after we got home and we had a couple of beers while sitting in the shop door.

Not much planned for today. I've been dodging my storeroom project all week and really need to make myself get out there and finish cleaning it up. I have a pile of stuff to take to the local auction house and another pile to throw away.

Prayers offered for those with health problems, our Country and any others in need.

Y'all have a good one.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
Good morning all. Accuweather (which ain't so "accu") says it's 63 heading for 75 with half a chance for rain. Stopped by the golf course after breakfast to get my grandson and a buddy of his signed up for a golf tournament called The Bad Pants Open. Made sure they will be paired up with me and my buddy. They have prizes for golf score as well as worst dressed. There will be guys playing in clown suits. In many cases, that's appropriate but it will be fun and is a charity fund raiser.

Heading for the man cave. It's in the annual where's-the-tabletop status. Need to straighten things up and toss things out. Might go scatter golf seeds at the driving range before the rain comes. There are no one-hole groups at that range.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Mid morning greetings from the wet sticks of KENTUCKY, and we has 0.7 inches more rain last night.
Good luck to George and Rusty, hope they enjoy themselves.

FB, here's another one for Jan. This one is showing mostly Charlois colors. 24 hours old.

Eye Plant Working animal Grass Fawn

Bruce has mentioned "hes off his Feed" we hope he is feeling better and ready to stir around a bit.
Not sure what's planned for today except drag some brush outta the barn lot from the Bradford pear tree that Jackson put there
Have a nice day and
" Let's Go Brandon."

·
Registered
686 Posts
Good Morning from the 🌞 E side of the Chesapeake. 67 now to a high of 77. Up earlier today headed to Deltaville to take a test run on the Linda Lee Deadrise. Got through with Pre-op testing yesterday. Here's a couple of pictures before pre launch Everyone have a great day and stay safe.
Tire Wheel Sky Boat trailer Boat
Tire Wheel Sky Boat trailer Boat

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Morning all, 66 headed to 78 today, getting warmer everyday. Got the lot of rifles zeroed yesterday, was worn out after zeroing 8 rifles. Had a few pleasant suprises, one being the .350 legend. This was a CVA Cascade, pretty nice rifle, good trigger, nice finish on the metal, floated barrel, soft rubber coat on the camo stock. Took 4 shots to get it zeroed, then shot a 3 shot group that made a smiley face, all 3 shots overlapping a little, using Hornady 180 ammo. Then I tried some Win 180 gr, and they shot the same group, 3/4" higher. He had a Sig buckmaster scope on it, I liked that too. I zeroed a CVA Wolf muzzle loader, the BH 209 and Harvester 300g Ballistic tip copper coated slug. Setting up for a kid, used 70 grs of powder and the recoil was not to bad, accuracy was one ragged hole at 100yds. The last one was for me a Ruger #3, in .223 with Vortex 4x12. It shot some 55grs sp into 1/2 , 3 shot group, and it shot the 69 Sierras into .409 for 3 shots! I have had 3 of these rifles and they all shot very well, this one has an exceptional trigger. It has a home for a long time to come. A .223 with a 69-77 gr bullet, is a pretty potent round. I have a friend who has taken 2 good bucks here locally, and his kids have killed 5 deer, none went over 50 yds, all using the 77g Sierras. I am running the 69 grs at 3000fps with a load of Varget. I wont deer hunt with it, but it will dang sure anchor any coyote with authority. You all have a good one, remember those in need of prayers, Buff out.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well, I hope I’m feeling better. Wifey told me to go to town and get a haircut. She either thinks I am better, or just doesn’t want to bury me looking like this…LOL. Guess who’s going to get a haircut. 😱
I had to chuckle JR. The first calf was black, second was white. Banker friend told me story few years ago. Local “lady”, kind of a hermit lived about 30 miles from me. She had inherited a lot of land and ran maybe 100 cows. Land was scattered over maybe 10-12 mile area. She went into bank and told him, she was having trouble making this year’s loan payment. She mostly lived in her old pickup. Back of the pickup was level full of trash. Front just barely had room for her to sit behind wheel. Seems like about 30 of her cows didn’t calve that year. Banker told her maybe her bull went bad. She said she didn’t have a bull, ole George, the neighbor had bulls and they always came across the fence (whch wasn’t in good repair) to service her cows. Banker said ole George didn’t have cows or bulls in that pasture next to her last year as he had decided to sell the cows and run steers. She in a very serious tone said she might just sue him as he didn’t inform her of that decision….true story. When she passed a few years later, the story was that were probably 3-4 years of uncashed mineral payment checks on the dash of the old pickup. Little over $100,000 total.
Best of luck to you guys getting ready to go hunting…..deer, ducks, grouse, squirrel, PD’s or whatever. Cooler weather seems to be upon us. However, forecast for few days from now here is 2-3 days of 90+ temps. Will try to get a hunting report from down the hill this evening. Wifey said everybody seems to be having a great time, and son and 6 guides are staying “really busy”. First time we have ever tried having this many in at one time. We’ll see how it goes. One of the Mossy Oak guys who has been here for probably 12-13 years straight came by to see me. He was well pleased and everybody was having a great time.
Cartoon Gesture Line Font Illustration

Prayers for our Country, Israel, and all Y’all.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That’s a beauty, JR. I have a minor problem. I showed Jan and she started asking about the breed. I also reminded her of kittens and how they grow into damcats and how cute calves turn into damcows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts