Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is what my son will be eating Sunday night. Here is a photo of him at the end of his duck hunt today. He and his buddy only ended up getting 4 ducks. Turned out they spent the entire AM in an unproductive spot, until moving to a new location. The two of them ended up getting a total of 4 birds.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry, I don't know why that posted before I was done

This photo shows my son with his Browning A-500R, alongside the ducks, at the end of their hunt. Note the snow still constantly coming down.

Visibility was so bad on the road home, they had to drive only 20 MPH on the highway!

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sweet

Nice picture Lance. Curious though, I didn't know ducks flew around when it was snowing. I never thought of it I guess. Just a thought that popped in my head. :) Don

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me too

To be honest, I've never hunted Ducks in that kind of weather. It very rarely snows here in Western Oregon. So I was surprised that my son reported so much activity.

I really never did like living in Northern Nevada. The weather there is awful much of the year. They are at over 4,400 feet in elevation. So it is a high desert plain. Yet, it can get horribly hot in summer. Some days can have HUGE variations in temperature between the daytime highs and nightime lows. And boy how the winds howl down from the Sierra Nevada mountains.

I truely wish I had never accepted that job transfer there back in the early 80's

My son told me that he saw some hunters using a RoboDuck, and they were bringing in a lot of birds. I guess they must still be legal in Nevada, as I don't see anything banning them in their Waterfowl regulations. I know that Oregon, Washington, and California banned them some years back.

One thing Nevada does have going for it is very unrestrictive gun laws. One can even still own a machine gun there, which is something many states have banned. And they have a "Shall Issue" concealed carry law.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P.S. - I actually never did any hunting the 9 years that I lived in Nevada

My ex wife felt that it was selfish and unfair of me, to go off by myself, and leave her and the kids at home.

So I never did one single day of hunting during our entire marriage ( including all the time we were in Nevada ), and only went target shooting a handful of times. I did not buy a single gun during the marriage also, as my ex would not approve of that either, even though I was the only one working, for most of our marriage. ( Mind you, our second date was to go target shooting at the local gun range. )

My ex has been absolutely furious with me for having given my son his first gun at age 15 1/2, and buying him more since then. That Browing A-500R that you see in the photo is that very first gun that I gave him. It has remained my son's favorite firearm ever since.

The gun was used, but in great condition when I bought it for him. The stock was cracked, though, and it got worse. But I mangaed to find a brand new replacement for it. I also bought Todd some extended Briley choke tubes, and finally one of those awesome EasyHit fiber optic sights that are imported from Sweden.

http://www.easyhitusa.com

Lance in Orygun

1 - 5 of 5 Posts