Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been trying to get here all day. I was starting to go into withdrawals!
It took me a while... but I finally found it... had to log in as a new user etc... gotta get used to the new gadgets... :)
Mike & John =Thanks for all you do! Sam

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just learned how to do the avatar & signature, I don't have a clue about a picture yet..... Glad to see ya made it as well! Did ya ever get that lathe level? Moving them is fun huh...... Sam

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to see ya Don & Jerrold... Guess everyone will start trickling in .... Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the site saved in my favorites, which wouldn't open due to the changes. I just kept clicking.....where have they gone!!! Glad I found it:D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same thing happened to me as well. I finally typed in the main url and got redirected. Sam

·
Registered
440 Posts
It took me a while to land here too. I kept trying to pull up the old site, but it didnt redirect me, thought the site was down. Getting old ain't what it''s cracked up to be!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Glad you made it Sam! I think the 're-direct' is better today than it was a few days ago, when Mike and John first launched this new site.

Pic posting is easier than before, just click on the yellow postcard icon above in the message box. You are limited to 4 pics per post, I think...:confused:

I see as of this a.m. 660 members have registered.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had to re-register, also. Worth the trouble, though....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome Home, Sam

Glad to see you on the new board. Took me some concentratesd effort also but it was worth it.

Just came back from the range breakin' in the Savage 93R17 in 17HMR. Jury is still out on this one.

Hope all is well in your household. How is Barbara doing?

Meryy Christmas !

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HI Don & Sonny! Barbara is doing GREAT!!! She had her 3rd x-ray(18month post surgery) 2 weeks ago and she's CLEAN!!!! Praise God!
So what do you think about that 17 HMR Don???
Merry Christmas to All!

·
Registered
39 Posts
17 Hmr

Sam -

That's great news about Barbara. Our prayers for her have been answered.

Savage 93R17 in 17HMR has Accutrigger and 3-9 Swift scope. Very light, well balanced rig. BUT, have had trouble getting it to shoot. It will NOT NOT shoot any 17gr V-Max load. Have tried Hornady, Federal, Remington, CCI, Winchester - you name it and it gets 3" inch (or more) groups from the bench at 100 yards. Even tried Hornady 20gr SPX and no go. It will however shoot the Federal 17gr Speer TNT HP load fairly decently. Tried it yesterday at 100 yards shooting from my Predator Styx and it will put 20 rounds consistently in a woodchuck paper target. That was in calm wind. When the wind began to pick up (3 mph from 4 o'clock), it threw 5 out of 25 shots outside the woodchcuk target - and that's only at 100 yards. Scuttlebut around the range is that the 17HMR ain't all that accurate and it IS wind sensitive. I would love to have a good shootin' 17HMR for close-in groundhog work because it has virtually no recoil and it doesn't "raise the dead" when you fire it. Am ordering a new heavy barrel Savage with Leupold VX-II 4-12 40mm AO and will keep the better of the two. Like I said, jury is still out. I also have concerns about how much energy it has to put down our tenacious groundhogs. We'll see.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Don, I figured as much.... I can believe that they ARE very wind sensitive, and based on the terminal performance of a 22WMR, I can't see any advantage.... It's fun to play with new toys though. Good luck, and I hope you find some fodder that will hum in your gun.
Thanks for the prayers for us!!! We've definitely been blessed.
We'll have to hook up some day for a hunt... feel free to come by and shoot.. gotta 1,2 & 300 yard range out back with a concrete bench! Sam

·
Registered
39 Posts
THX for the Offer

Sam-

You are mighty generous and I appreciate your offer. Let's do some hoggin' together next year. Don't want to steal your thunder so I'll go along as "gun bearer."

Scarcity of targets around here has me trying to plan a prairie dog hunt for next year.

All the best for health and happiness in the New Year.

Don

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It would be great fun, but only if you shoot too! The truck does the carrying, I'm mainly a table shooting guy, but Dan in Va. has been schooling me in shooting off the sticks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts