Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
g'morning everyone

hey Jim - I'm wondering if you could ID this barnyard for me...

unrelated photo - my cousin from Denver shared some scanned photos from his albums. These are my grandparents - Otto and Emma - with three of my aunts / uncles... photo is dated April 1913 - prior to my dad's birth - so this was probably taken near Central City Iowa...

another unrelated photo - my dad and my uncle Eddie... those two were he!! on wheels - photo being worth a thousand words...

-niv

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
Morning Joe and Rest to come. I always like to look at old pix, just something about them - my mind want to fill in the details.

Be safe and watch your stopping distances / Tom.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Good Morning

Good Morning Joe. Can't believe Doc is not up or some of the other early risers. Well sometimes you jest need the extra time resting. Not a lot going on since the weather has been windy and rainy. So as soon as it breaks I'm going to shoot a ladder and see how that turns out. Everyone have a good day.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Mornin joe n gang!

Say joe...What is that in the middle of the back of that steer? It kinda looks like a big chunk is missing outta his back...or is it an illusion due to something I can't make out??? I notice a lot of eyes are directed to that spot as well.

P.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Good Morning=nice pics

Well alright then=
I just resurfaced from the reloading Dungeon
been up since 2 AM
got some 30BR's loaded for this wkend fun shoot @ Buck Creek
aka Shooter's Holy Land
off on another Dental Road Adventure today
then hoping to sling lead on Friday and Saturday
Life is good =I'm very thankful
over and out
Doc :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey Paul

I think that's a dark spot - looks like it's a shadow from Leonard's hat... at least I think that's my uncle Leonard... my brother is in the background with the sleeveless shirt. my sister is on the left with the yellow shirt. my grand-dad George is cropped on the right side - hand in pocket...

I'm curious if JBH can tell me who is on the halter of that horned Hereford...

"back in the day" our 4-H club - West Hand Baby Beef - had a club calf tour prior to the late summer early fall calf shows. everyone would travel in a pack from one farm yard to the next to see everyone's show steers... the day was ended with a good old fashioned pot luck dinner...

did you notice the 'dog house' behind Otto in the early photo? An A framed shelter with hay bales stacked on it... at least I'm guessing it's a dog house...

here is another photo from the vault - my two sisters and I in the back of the pickup feeding haybales to the stock cows... dad would put the truck in granny gear, get out and jump in the back and toss bales out as it idled across the pasture... when he was done, he would jump back out, get inside the cab... it's a wonder he never got run over..

if it wouldn't take a full page to explain - I would tell you how he could pull start the feed wagon tractor using the front end loader tractor... all done solo... think about it, how does one guy pull start a vehicle... cold weather was hard on tractors, but he had enough heaters on the stacker so it always started...

-niv

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Good MOrning Mr. Joe & GGVG Friends

A goooooooooooooooooooood morning to everyone from Southern, Ky.
37.4 degrees here this morning and going up into the 40's again today.
Thanks for the pics Joe. Looking at the picture from 1913 the folks back
in that time frame sure had a hard time all over most of this country.
Hard work and lot of sacrificing by our grand parents & great grand
parents. Guess that Nurse Goodbody has worn poor old Doc out on
these road trips. Bird Dog is probably catching up on his reloading to
be ready for their next shooting excursion. I see that my "old nemesis",
aka "Tha Old Grey Rooster" is up a crowing this morning, But for a change
he didn't pick on me. Lets not have him think that I am ignoring him, so,
"shooooooooooo ya old phardt". :p Watch trigger finger in the cold today.
;) No word from the "missing poor old farmer". Guess he is holed up in Florida
waiting for Florida to unthaw. :eek: James if you still need a base for your
Wilson Dies, let me know, I have several extra's. I use a custom base for
my Wilson Dies. Hope each of you has a great day today. God bless.

Don M.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Neat pics Joe, my sister gives the whole family a choice of prints she has made evey christmas. Most of them are from the 30's and 40's, but some are older. Different world.

Rick

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I see that my "old nemesis",
aka "Tha Old Grey Rooster" is up a crowing this morning, But for a change
he didn't pick on me. Lets not have him think that I am ignoring him, so,
"shooooooooooo ya old phardt". :p Don M.
Count you blessings, ya ol phardt! Consider "the calm before the storm" ...heh, heh, heh ;)

P.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Good Mornin,amazing the advances in 100 yrs,maybe it will be like the JETSONS in another 100.
Moving my daughter out of the nest over to WKU this A.M. !
Arnt I supposed to be happy:(

·
Registered
460 Posts
2 Below in CO

10 elk beds in the yard this morning. I didn't see them, but I will be replacing some grass it looks like.

Talkin' about a varmint that can wreak destruction on a small herb garden.

Still like seein' them though. Awesome animals.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
old pic observation.....

You can tell your first pic was taken "some time" ago by the confirmation of those Herefords. I can remember showing those styles at the 4-H livestock shows "way back when". We have progressed a little there....LOL.
Also Joe....when I drove an old Chevy feed truck like that last pic...we were feeding "bundles"....we hadn't gotten modern enough to feed "bales" yet.
AND...the pic of the Jersey milk cow....loved that one. We could walk out the door here with the milk bucket and "Old Jers" would come to meet you at the gate. She would stand like that anywhere. She knew that "after" the milking she would get fed good.
"Thanks For The Memories" (made my day)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Please no milk cows

Nasty flashback.
As usual great post Joe!
Just something warm about old pics and stories.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.