Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dec 22nd and all's well in Omaha. LDW (Last Day of Work) yesterday, off until Tuesday morning. we'll be in shut down / inventory mode the week between Christmas and New Years, so next week 'should' be light.

wish I could sleep in until a decent hour. up at 4 bells and I don't have anywhere to go. just a few gifts to buy. three days in advance, I don't consider them to be last minute.

I have a seasonal motto - "As long as there's a truck stop between you and where you're goin', you ain't done Christmas shopping"

have a great day everyone...

-niv

·
Registered
54 Posts
Morning Joe,

It always makes me mad when I can sleep and I don't! How is the new Cabela's store? Also, I think you had some picture slides scaned. Where did you get them done and how much did it cost? Have a good day.

Rem222Mag

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Good Morning

Joe looks like your the morning poster today. 52º and rainy here so inside work today. Might have to go get sum santa stuff and sum powder for my br. Been working on my tractor lift and another good day should do it.
Then it's back on the br to try and finish it. Hope you all have a good day and stay dry.:)

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Good Morning from Rainy Middle TN=

Well alright then=
almost involved in an auto accident w/ the traveling
Dental troupe yesterday in Nashville=
close calls make you realize how fragile We all are=
Rain w/ cold on the way possible snow on Xmas day=
good day to catch up on in-house gun stuff
please enjoy and savor every day of this Holiday Season=
over and out
Doc:)
PS- I'm still enjoying the good shoot We had @ Moonshine Mt. Range this
week= thanks guys-:)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Good Morning all

Don't know the temp its not cold but it raining till tomorrow morning. I have one more thing to get before Christmas. I also should go to the barn and do some shooting today, the new club that took over the barn will start charging we more the frist of the year,$10 a month thats not to bad to shoot in side . Every one have a good day, Art

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Good Morning Mr. Joe & Tha GGVG Crew

A goooooooooooood morning to everyone from a wet & soggy Southern,
Bluegrass. 56.1 degrees here this morning & windy with light rain. Gonna
have to have some temp drops if we are gonna have snow for Christmas.
Gonna clean rifles & load some ammo for future use today. Where in the
world is "Tha Rooster" & "MLM" this morning. Both of them "old phardts"
are normally up and attum early. Hope each of you has a good day today.
God bless.....:D

Don M.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good Morning Joe And All!

Good Morning to everyone! It's a cold rainy morning here in the Southern Bluegrass this morning. Sounds like a few of them Ratz and vermine shooters are still on the roost pole, wake up! Take care and have a great and safe day! :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Good morning gang. Rainy day on tap for the Mt. State

today. But I'm not complaining. I don't have to shovel rain! he he he. Temps are very warm for this time of year for us. Record low for this date here was -14* and it was 50* when I got up this morning. Go figure. Ya'll have a good one.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
sleeping too much

Over slept yesterday after the fun shoot at the Moonshine Mountain Range on Wed. We had a great time and shared time with good friends, good fun, good food, and great br's. Doc, John Beauchamp, Don M., Greyfox, and the birdog occupied 5 benchs. Doc had four and i took one for myself. We shot eggs and poker chips at 200 and eggs at 300. We also shot a 100 yd score match. Don M. can make that 6 ppc talk.
we shot 30 br, 6 br, 22 dasher, 250 AI, and Greyfox had a thompson-contenter that i believe was 223. He rang 8 in. metal disc at 300 with it.
I hope everyone will come to a similar get together at the Birdog Rifle Range sometime over the holidays. Paul, Mike,Kenny, Jr., George, jackie, lee, when are you fellas coming to tenn.
Rain today. May have to visit some gunshops. Haven't been to Whittakers lately. I may not make it any further than Reloader.s Bench.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
G'mornin joe, James, doc, et al...TGIF

I'm w/ you joe...it ain't last minute if it is before the season! Truth be known, I just don't get in the mood until the day before. By noon on Christmas eve, 90% of the shoppers are gone, the malls are relatively "quiet", and I can get a couple last items, sit down to reflect and have a warm "Latte" at the (Starbucks) and hum along with the carols played over the PA system...Speaking of "truck stops", I came across the dangedest thing at a gas station - now a gift for Ami (and I can't tell ya cuz she reads this board almost as much as I do!). So, ya just never know...Shoppin' can pop up at a moment's notice!!

Good news...My pooch (Sandy Pooch) is no worse for the wear from a few nights ago - full of "piss n vinegar" n fully recovered, far as I can tell. She's not a workin dawg like Buddy Boy. Her job is to warm my heart, and she does a great job of that...Always has.

Got a couple jobs to do near the WI boarder. I don't have hip waders, but I could sure us some. I'll be firing up and "balancing" a section of cable in a new subdivision (read: MUD to my BUTT). I've gotta saddle up and be outta here in 20 minutes. So y'all take the time to enjoy every day.

Somebody needs to get the ol' RAT outta the nest and into the hot tub. His (yello) duckie needs some attention!!

P.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes sir

I could sleep till noon today, but couldn't stay in bed until 4:30. Will probably catch a nap between shopping trips and a wrapping session. I love a nice nap...

Yes, I did have slides scanned... I had 423 slides scanned and the final bill was $330. I've posted a link to the place I sent them. You can save yourself some money - and they don't really warn you. I don't consider it a bait / switch deal, but others should know...

I sent my slides in their projector cannisters. They charged a dime a piece to take them out of the metal frames. They also charge just a bit extra for "super sized" 35mm slides, those were once popular at tourist destinations, canned preshot slides of famous landmarks. you could buy them in gift shops and my mom did. she was a semi-amatuer photographer and looked for good prints from others whenever she could.

they also dinged me a bit for a storage box or three - no big deal but those extra fees do add up. as short as I am on time, I'm glad to pay for the service, but don't send off slides expecting the service to be cheap... I got one set of each of the disks, one dvd with high rez jpgs, two dvds with high rez tiffs, etc. one album with thumbnails. I copied the high rez dvds to give each of my siblings / parents a copy. I'll take notes in the album when we review the slides over Christmas to identify subjects of some of the old pictures.

here's a link to the site (I hope) http://www.digmypics.com/

here's a sample of one of the slides. I'm sure the hard copy exists somewhere in a scrap book, but it's nice to have a high rez image for other purposes... in the photo is my grandad - George - in the wide brimmed hat. On the hay wagon is my brother Mike - he is several years older than I and got out in the fields much earlier than I did. Running the stacker is my dad, I'm sure. The stacker / tractor look to be near new (at least for my dad's ownership of it - several welded patches aren't on it in this picture and I recall wider front tires... they were stacking small bales to be carried into the barns and stuffed into the hay loft. at this time, most hay was put up in loose hay stacks, but several hundred bales were put up for long term storage in lofts to feed confined cattle. I recognize the tractor in the background, but not the wheel rake. before my time. I recall NH side delivery rakes...

you might also note the thumb print on the film. the folks at dig my pics clean the slides, but they can't do everything. they knock the dust off but some of the dirt / smudges remain. they add character I think... this year, several on my Christmas card list will get a photo included. They probably already have the image, but you never know. One cousin had never seen her mother's wedding photos in color until I shared slides off my mom's camera...

Morning Joe,

It always makes me mad when I can sleep and I don't! How is the new Cabela's store? Also, I think you had some picture slides scaned. Where did you get them done and how much did it cost? Have a good day.

Rem222Mag
as far as the new Cabela's (Sioux word for "you paid too much") I haven't darkend their door yet. I stop at the store in Mitchell often - Cabela's isn't a novelty to me. I'll go sometime, they are only 3 miles away and on my way to / fro work. just haven't needed to yet...

time for another cup...

-niv

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Thank YOu Doc ! ! ! !

Well alright then=
almost involved in an auto accident w/ the traveling
Dental troupe yesterday in Nashville=
close calls make you realize how fragile We all are=
Rain w/ cold on the way possible snow on Xmas day=
good day to catch up on in-house gun stuff
please enjoy and savor every day of this Holiday Season=
over and out
Doc:)
PS- I'm still enjoying the good shoot We had @ Moonshine Mt. Range this
week= thanks guys-:)
Thank you Doc for being such a gracious host and feeding the troops and
showing us a good time shooting. Sure looking forward to going to Bird Dogs
Range and coming back for another visit with you. :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good Morning Joe and all

I wanted to update the guys who replied to my post about my boss. I did go to work and missed out on helping my 75 year old mother bury her baby brother. But I still have my job. Got rained out today so I'm going to turn in an application for a county truck driving job. I could use some prayers for that. It required a class B license and a clean driving record and I have both. Thanks guys for giving me some different opinions and fews. Have a safe holiday. OD

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Morning all...

from the Graveyard Hollow. Looks like a rainy friday, payroll to do, good smells to ship and the usual end of the week stuff. Might make it up the hill in the morning to look for another doe to put in the freezer. Y'all have a good day.

Rick

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Good morning, gang

I don't know if it's the new board or what, but I'm seeing more posts than usual from Greyfox, and that's a good thing. I just realized, Rick, that I don't think I have a clue what you do for a living. Your reference about having "good smells to ship" raised my curiousity.

Paul, you're telling me that you've been shooting at Buck Creek for at least 5-6 years and you don't have hip waders? :eek: Heck, the BS runs so deep down there that tall boots are the very first thing I pack. :D

I haven't noticed Murph posting the past few days. Do you reckon he's in a depression cause at this time of year his cash flow is likely running the wrong direction? Or maybe the price of aluminum has dipped.

Doc, I'm glad you avoided that mishap in Nashville. Everyone else be extra careful as well, cause people tend to get in a hurry and get distracted the last few days before Christmas.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
thanks Mike=

I need your phone # so I can personally invite you to the next Moonshine Mt. shoot= its only 2 1/2 hours away from Louisville..
email me
[email protected]
thanks
the ole Grey (fat) haired
Doc:D

·
Registered
411 Posts
I thought all these years it was " YA'LL"

mornin' Ya'LL

From the country immediately south of the United States... Texas

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good morning y'all. Have a great one.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Top of the mornin=

from drizzly S. KY. Will be wrapping up a few loose ends at the work thing and then packing for my annual hunting trip down in Mississippi,been hunting with that bunch for 25 yr,s now,look forward to seeing everyone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts