Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend john smith, who is a retired army armorer, has caught the dreaded br fever. He dropped by the birddog range three weeks ago and bought a 700 police special from me. while he was there i insisted he shoot my little 12 twist bryant 6 br and he fell in love with it. He went home and ordered him a 8 twist douglas barrel and is going to twist up a 6 mm dasher. Last night i mentioned to him that i had a beautiful stock for his dasher. He came right over and bought my 6 - 284 with a green and white swirl Mcmillian MBR. He is going to make a switch barrel out of it. One barrel will be the new 8 twst. 6mm dasher. While he is waiting on that barrel to arrive, he is going to chop off the throat of the 6 -284 27 inch lija barrel to 24 inches and ream it out to a 6 br. It has a 14 twist and he can shoot short range with it. He loved the stock, but it also had a nickel plated 700 short action, aluminum bedding block, and a hart trigger. He has the fever bad. John had open heart surgery 10 years ago and last thanksgiving had a couple of stints put in. I wish he could get strong enough to go praried dogging with me.
Today i am off and plan on moving 25 bales of hay i bought from a neighbor. Then i plan on placing some eggs at the 400 yd. mark and practicing for the BBBuck creek shoot. I have been practicing at 336 on the eggs, but today i 'm moving the eggs to 400 and see what happens. i hear Danny Hensley mopped up at 400 last year, so i need to test the water out there before hand. Not sure if any Team Tennessee members will show up or not.
Junebug found a 3'x5'x 1/2" piece of metal to use as a sighter at 600 yd. we may go get it when he gets off work. Super Doc invited me up to the MOONSHINE RANGE today, but i may be too busy to drive up there. They may shoot Todd's new 30 Br switch barrel that jackie stogsdil reamed for him Monday. It will switch duty with his 25 br on the Teddy action.
Well i must get back to the reloading dungeon. Greyfox, if you want to shoot wednesday, give me a holler. Carlos webb, are you still out there? anthony is wanting to shoot today, come on over. We got his 243 out to 500 Sunday.
Have a great day all you varmints. Watch out for Super Doc on those middle and east Tn. interstates. the birddog will be traveling to Pikeville again Friday and to hot-lanta this weekend for Spider Webb's son's wedding.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Good Morning

Well Birdog looks like you are tha point man this morning. That little trip to east Tn musta took it's toll on Doc.:) Sounds like you have a busy day ahead moving hay and shooting. I've got 2 rifles I need to shoot today if the wind stays still enough. Seen a groundhog yesterday evening coming home from school. Man he was slick and fuzzy. Well the coffee pot is ready so I'm off to get sum. All you varminter egg shooting lead slinging powderburning folks have a good day.:D

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Good Morning=Mr. Birdog and all gun slingers

Well alright then=
Sounds like the Dog has got it goin' on
Me and Todd L. aka "Trouble" will be breaking in his
new Mike Rock 30 BR barrel today and I'm taking
my "Big Orange Drop" 30BR to 200yds. varmint for score- to see if
it'll shoot that far= :confused: :confused: :D
Hoping Moonshine Mt. Range is half-way calm today
A little chilly today @ 26* but never a bad day to shoot
Wolfe River Dam is only 50 miles up river from me- We're all
concerned now w/ it being structurally unsound
Mr Don M please hold that water up your way;)
Nurse GoodBody gave me the day off so
over and out
Doc :)

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Good Morning Bird Dog, James & GGVG Friends

A goooooooooooooooooood morning to everyone from deep in the
Southern, Bluegrass. 29.1 degrees cool degreees here this morning.
May be a little cool for "Tha Tennessee Boys" to shoot today. But,
they are tough, so who knows. James, you just may be right, the
trip yesterday with Nurse Goodbody just may have been more than
Doc could stand.;) Looks like "Tha Old Grey Rooster" is also missing in
action this morning. It sure likes like "all that inspiration" has gotten
him "way down".;) Well, today is the day that we start work on "Tha
War Wagon" to get it ready for the 07 Prairie Dog Safari. Gonna build
the metal frame for the canopy, then it is off to the canvas shop for
the canopy. Gotta have some shade for those 100 degree days. Hope
each of you has a great day today. God bless.........

Don M.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I see the "usual suspects" are stirrin already!

Mornin! Coffee is ready! Hep yo seff!
Looks like we're in our winter routine; teens and low 30s w/ a little snow now and then.

Bd, sounds like y'all are razin a bunch of egg cookin' fools down there! It shore is gonna be embarrassin' if y'all don't take home all the loot from the BBB match!! Dem RANGE RATZ is gonna have their work cut out fer em, fer sher - 'specially that ol grapenut flake and banana eatin' head RAT! Ol George KY put suckers down at the 400 yard line a couple years back, so if ya git so eggs are no challenge anymore, switch to suckers an see how it goes! I don't have 400 yards round here, so we shoot paintballs at 200m. Even at that, paintballs at 200m are easier to hit than suckers at 400 (I can tell ya!) Anywayz, it looks it will be a hot time at Jackie's Joint come spring!

I see ol Don is shinin' up the War Wagon - gonna put steel tubing on it to support the sun shade. Course if KY Fisherman is shooting, he'll have to remember to avoid shooting the metal supports in half (again) this year! That IS shooting in style, I have to admit! Gonna be at least another 220 Swift out there and another 204 as well. The PDs are gonna be introduced to a new game, looks like!

Speaking of 220 Swifts, I've been meaning to work up some N560 under the 60s to see if I can get that load to shoot. Preliminary results are impressive. I just need to play with seating a bit, and I think the PDs past 500 are NOT going to like what results!! So, U ol RAT...IF you haven't loaded up all your Swift loads yet, ya might want to wait and see what this N560 does. It is supposed to be very accurate, and push a 60 to 3900. That would make even a 204 take a seat and watch! Stay tuned....

Y'all have a good un! It's HUMP day!

P.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Good Mornign Mr. Paul

I haven't done any work with either of the 220 Swifts, so I am very
interested in your work with the N560. WE have a gun show here in
Somerset the weekend of Feb 4th, so that would be a good weekend
to buy some powder for the 2 220 Swifts.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Sounds Like a great way to spend your day, I am off for a quick round of coyte calling before getting back to looking for gainful employment. Have a good one.
Mike F.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
What twist rate(s) do those Swifts have? If they are both 14s, then the 60s might be a stretch, unless they can be pushed real hard. If one (or both) are 12s, then HOT DAMN! We're in the money!

12s or 14s: N550/210m under a 'Zac'ed' 55 V-Max will work way past 600 yards

12 twist: The 60s shoot bugholes in mine. I don't get the velocity I want with N550 tho, so I'm hoping the N560 "works as rumored":D

P.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Goooding morning..

.. ya'll turn2:)

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Here's Tha Scoop

What twist rate(s) do those Swifts have? If they are both 14s, then the 60s might be a stretch, unless they can be pushed real hard. If one (or both) are 12s, then HOT DAMN! We're in the money!

12s or 14s: N550/210m under a 'Zac'ed' 55 V-Max will work way past 600 yards

12 twist: The 60s shoot bugholes in mine. I don't get the velocity I want with N550 tho, so I'm hoping the N560 "works as rumored":D

P.

Gonna have to make sure of the twist rate of both rifles (one has a factory
VSSF Barrel, the other a custom barrel). But, I do have a whole bunch of
Nosler 55 grain Balistic Tip bullets that needs shot in something !

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Don, if my ears go to burning today, I'll know that you're telling a certain PD Safari 2006 story while you're drilling holes in steel uprights. :rolleyes: Just be sure and tell some other stories about me, too, like how I walked out onto that prairie and slayed that dragon with just a hatchet and a Ruger Mk II pistol. :D

Birdog, y'all have got to learn to pace yourselves or you're gonna flat burn up with this shooting fever that's afflicting you. Plus, as Paul indicated, if Team Tennessee doesn't flat walk off with the BBB, it's gonna be totally embarrassing. :eek: My advice is that you practice your excuses while you're practicing your shooting.

Mike

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Hey dog & all,
Was up late last night cleaning a floor in a Lowes store with my youngest son, probably 'til Doc & BD were getting out of bed. Slept real late...6:00.
Need to do some paperwork this morning and then I might get a few minutes to tuen my new RCBS Auto 4X4 press. This thing sat NIB for many years, then a friend decided to sell it. Looks like it will be OK once I get the adjustments on the Hornady powder thrower right.

BD, I have an appointment in Nashville @1:00. I may give you a call later and see how late you'll be shooting, little too far to make it to Celina today. Beside that, the water level is a little lower here.

Rick

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Good 'nuff. Wind permitting, I'll see what I can do before Feb 4th.;)

P.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Gonna have to make sure of the twist rate of both rifles (one has a factory
VSSF Barrel, the other a custom barrel). But, I do have a whole bunch of
Nosler 55 grain Balistic Tip bullets that needs shot in something !
Well, I can tell ya that the 55BTs shoot very well in either a 12 or 14 Swift, especially in a 14!;)

N550 is my favorite under 55s. It has a broad plateau so that I could load 41.4 gn in BOTH Swifts, shoot from 60 to 95 degrees F and PDs HATED it! IMR 4064 (or any time 4064 works, then so does Varget) works very well on 55s, but it is especially good for the 52s and lighter. (I prefer the N550 because of the very flat plateau makes it more or less immune to thrown charges over a wide temperature range, accurate and clean!)

BTW, The Swift is just plain RUDE :eek: on PDs, especially under 300 yards!:D

P.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.