Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
52 on the West Bank headed to a low humidity 82.
Crazy evening yesterday. My Jeep I am pretty sure broke a piston skirt last week. I ordered a engine from a top rated shop that I have used before. The plan was for a mild RV cam, have it balanced and the head ported. The owner said it would be about a month. I live in Salem OR but yesterday I decided to to check Portland’s CL Jeep parts, just because I was looking at Salem and I have them both bookmarked. There was a 4.0 L engine stroked to 4.5 L Hesco aluminum head, balanced RV cam setup to run on 87 octane gas. It has everything with it including new 4 nozzle Bosch injectors and antifreeze. It had been listed for about 5 hrs. It had never been installed or run. I called on it figuring it might be a back yard build seeing as the price was so low. Turns out it was built by the shop that I was going to have build mine. The owner gave me his name and the build number. I called the shop and it is legit. The engine owner had another guy that had email him earlier than me but I had called and told him I wanted it. The owner will stick to his price and sell to me. I leave in an hour to go get it. I am getting it for about $2,000 less than labor and parts would have been to duplicate. The machine shop guy was great. He said the paper work is still sitting on my desk, I’ll give you your deposit back. Nice to have people that are stand up. I have really been burned on CL before.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,712 Posts
Congrats

I really don't know anything about Jeep, but that picture sure looks like a quality build. Hope it does exactly what you want it to.

·
Registered
470 Posts
CL burned me yesterday...

I should say the guy selling a Rock Jock 60 did.I texted him through Craig’s list and we made arrangements to pick it up yesterday after work.Next thing I know the add was deleted and no more contact info.My point is jump on something quickly if you want it.Good luck with the motor,looks nice.
Matt

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
The Jeep Cherokee I bought my son had a very slight tick to it for the longest time and he called one day saying it was knocking real bad.....still had oil pressure so I told him to drive to home. I pulled the pan and bearings were tight.....after getting oil pan out I heard a rattle in it and it was skirt off of two pistons.

Had it bored .020 over and just done a stock build on it and has been running strong. The bores were egg shaped roughly. 007" letting them put pressure on the skirts at the bottom of the stroke.

Hope your good deal works out!....i looked into a stroker kit but it was for my son so if he thinks he needs one he can foot the bill.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shane

I love the 4.0 engine but running lean is their weak link. My wife’s 4.0 Grand Cherokee did the same thing. The engine builder said the stock injectors get dirt and it runs lean. The stock pistons won’t hold up to detonation. It is usually cylinder 5 or 6. The GC has Bosch injectors as will mine.
It turns out that the guy had really done his research. He even gave me a new oversized catalytic converter. He decided he wanted to put a v-8 in it instead.
He gave me a folder full of notes and receipts.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
At about 220k now ours probably needs new injectors....just had to chase bad sensors around on the crank and cam. Then bought a new coil that went belly up in one week....code were showing misfires and bad sensors again but it was the coil....other than crappy parts it's running solid.
I looked into the stroker longblocks too and some are pretty pricey!

Them Cherokee or any jeep bring big money around here right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts