soon for a shoot and a shot (of Moonshine??)@ Moonshine Mt.=LOL
Got a long roady today
over and out
Merry Xmas
Doc:)

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Fresh Columbian Supremo/French Roast is on!

Hep yoseff to a mug!!

I spoke to Rick last night and he said y'all had a real good time. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Speaking of shooting eggs, I do "evaporate" a few from time to time on my range. On a couple occasions on the morning after, I saw a frustrated furry masked bandit checking out the backstop. The raccoon would be on his rear haunches, bending over to sniff the ground, then swing up to upright sniffing the air, turning his head and waving it from side to side, up-down-all around, sniffing. It was as tho he was saying, "I know there's an egg 'round here somewhere...Now if I could just FIND IT!"

And speaking of the ol' RAT, I found this picture of 'im from the Top Gun last fall. Compared to how he looked a year before, you wouldn’t believe it was the same guy! (He must have a tape worm or something!!)

I've been pondering the BBB for a while, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be about time an "Evil Black Gun" won the factory class? I'm intrigued by a load my Bushie seems to like. I don't think it is quite soup yet, but it is close enough to get me scratchin' my head and wondering. I know for a fact that if I had that RAA that Scott Doty used to have that I would have NO doubts about it, what so ever. (That gun was an eye opener!!! I saw it shoot many a consecutive 5-shot, one hole group at 100 yds.) He had to buy his daugther some stuff for college, so the RAA went on the block. I often think about how that one got away and I should have bought it when I had the chance! Oh well...COULDA-SHOULDA-WOULDA...If grandma had balls, she'd be grandpa!;)

Rain moving thru today. Y'all to the southeast grab your umbrellas today and to morrow!

P.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Dec 21st, still too early to start shopping

g'morning all... very early in the middle of the country...

25 years ago, my son was borne on the morning of the 23rd of December. That year, I went out and bought gifts for both sides of the family, by myself, after his birth. The malls and shops empty out the closer you get to the holidays, it becomes more of a buying event than "shopping".

times have changed. We don't give gifts to each other like we used to. new rules and new procedures, so fewer hard decisions...

my sisters are hosting this year, again. their house is near perfect, plenty of room but not enough bedrooms... means we can gather during the day but must retreat to a motel in the evenings...

I probably could start making a list I guess...

-niv

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Speaking of B'days, Looking at the world thru 60 yo eyes

today for the first time. Shortest day of the year, must'a seemed like the longest for Mom back there in '46. The gleam in Dad's eye returning from Europe as a Combat Engineer came to fruition.

Enjoy this day, you just never know................

Great news on the John and Mike Appreciation Fund. Good job Guys!!:) :D :)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Morning you sleep incrusted hunters

Good to see you same guys up and about. Dentist today and think I am going to give him a fishing pole. He thinks my mouth is his private fishing hole and has taken more money out of it than I would ever pay to fish in any lake!
Have fun guys.
Mike (trust me) Murphy

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good Morning Doc & Tha GGVG Crew!

Good Moring Everyone! Sounds like a good time went on yesterday down on moonshine mt. There probably wasn't any big tales told or anything like that though. HA! :) Paul is talking about his bushie, man that thing shoots good! Talk about making a yote live rough! Everyone have a great day today! :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Good morning All

thought I could find some Christmas pictures but this is all I could find quick.
Have a good day . Art

PS: There was only about 100 people that read my yesterday morning post, wish there had been more.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Good Morning guys..42º here and maybe sum rain. Got some shopping done yesterday and I think I'm ready for Santa.
Work on my br has slowed down due to the lift on my tractor giving up. So got the parts ordered and get that back together.
Hope all have a fine day.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Good mornin all

Good morning all you GGVG'ers, I hope you all have had a good week. I love the Christmas season but I'm on the road a lot and seem like this year the highway traffic is really busy this year. I sure won't miss that, oh well have a great day in your neck of the woods. God Bless,
Joe

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Morning all...

Had a great time yesterday with Doc and the other fine folks over on the mountain. Was too tired last night to clean all th firearms, so I have a job to do today along with the regular duties invloved with paying the bills.

Paul, you can bring whatever firearm you choose to the BBB, Ami will still kick your a** with a Savage :D

Rick

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I oppose allowing IED guns at the BBB

Yeah, well, on a certain PD hunt last spring it wasn't Don who should have been worrying, that's for sure. Here's a "before" picture of Paul and his black rifle. In the "after" picture the rifle looks pretty much the same, but Paul's expression and ability to concentrate were considerably different. :eek: Ha!

If'n (Kentucky talk) you bring that gun to the BBB, I'll just have to pay George an extra $20 to make sure there are several benches between me and you. :p

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Paul, you can bring whatever firearm you choose to the BBB, Ami will still kick your a** with a Savage :D

Rick
And, that is the sad truth about it too! Like I say, if a guy has an ego problem, NEVER teach a woman to shoot...She'll be kickin yer butt soon enough!

The FIRST time my daughter ever shot a center fire rifle was at a range in Colorado. I glued 20 asprins to a sheet of notebook paper and she broke 20 pills with 21 shots at 100 yards. When she finished, she looked over to me at the next bench (I was phartin around w/ some other gun), and said, "Now what?" I looked thru the spotting scope and my jaw dropped...I just walked over to her bench, grabbed the rifle and said, "Gimme that!":D

Well, there's this much about it: If I don't have a factory gun up to the task, I'll save the effort and just work up a "needle threader" for Ami and let HER do the shootin in Factory CLass!

P.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good mornin' y'all. I spoke with Rick last night and he said the shoot went very good. Glad y'all had fun. Sure wish I could have been there to play with ya!! Have a great one.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Good Morning Doc & Tha GGVG Morning Gang

A goooooooooood morning from a wet Southern, Ky. Raining lightly
here this morning. I certainly had a great time at "Tha Moonshine
Shooting Emporium & Pleasure Palace" ! First time since Labor Day
Weekend & the Top Gun Shoot that I got a chance to burn some
powder. I was pleased with the performance of the 6PPC, especially
since it just got assembled the night before. It sure does shoot some
tiny holes beside them big 30BR, but, I am gonna stick with the 6PPC
for a while anyhow. Just gotta put that smaller bullet on "Tha chigger".
Doesn't make any difference how big the bulelt hole is as long as it is
on top of "tha chigger". Old Doc sure knows how to entertain his guest.
Fed us breakfast at Doris's Diner, and picked up a whole bunch of Fried
Chicken, Potato Wedges, etc, and by the way them fellows were chowing
out, it surely was good. Looking forward to a visit to the "Bird Dog Shooting
Complex" soon. Just one disappointment at Docs yesterday. I kept watching
for "Nurse Goodbody" to make an appearance, but she was a "no show" !
Did get to meet docs lovely wife Ms Sue. Thanks again for a wonderful day
of shooting Doc. Can't wait until the next time. Now, just got to get my
stuff ready for a shoot with tha gang at "Buck Creek". Hope each of you has
a good day today. This is Maggie & my 43 Anniversary. I think she is a keeper
after 43 years of putting up with me. Hope each of you has a great day today ! God bless....:D :) ;)

Don M.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Yeah, well, on a certain PD hunt last spring it wasn't Don who should have been worrying, that's for sure. Here's a "before" picture of Paul and his black rifle. In the "after" picture the rifle looks pretty much the same, but Paul's expression and ability to concentrate were considerably different. :eek: Ha!

If'n (Kentucky talk) you bring that gun to the BBB, I'll just have to pay George an extra $20 to make sure there are several benches between me and you. :p
I learned there is a lot of difference between shooting an AR vs. a bolt rifle. And, that especially it true of other actions too; e.g., break actions have their quirks as well.

But, what Mike is referring to was a slam fire I had later that day; apparently due to a loose primer. What happens in ARs (and other autos, I find) is a loose primer can pull out some or completely when the rapid motion of the carrier chambers the fresh round. If it comes completely out, then the round misfires - amounting to having to jack the cocking piece and continue. But, if the primer only comes partially out of the case, then the bolt face might make contact with the primer waaaaay before the round is inside the chamber...BAM!...Slam fire!

It didn't hurt the gun, as often is the case (I learned later), but it generally blows the magazine out the bottom in a dissassembled fasion, which mine did also. After arriving home, I was able to re-assemble the magazine and check everthing over and the gun is none the worse for the wear. However, now when I seat a primer and the pocket has obviously lost it's grip, instead of simply marking the case with a Sharpie to be discarded after firing it that last time, the round goes directly into the reject pile - so powder and bullet can be salvaged later.

I learned later that some AR guys advocate never reloading for an AR. Well, I think with proper knowledge and following procedures, it can be done safely. The lesson learned is that every action type has it's do's and don'ts when it comes to reloading. The AR is NO exception!

I really like the Bushie. The PD hunt last spring was the first time I ever shot an AR at PDs, in spite of having the rifle for some time. I can tell you it is danged adicting and the AR will be going w/ me from now on!!

P.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Good Morning Gang

Its a pleasure to be alive on a rainy day 72 drgrees warm in South Louisiana. The rut is getting ready to bust loose down here......hasn't quite started yet.

Doc....you need to get hooked up with MLM. He is going to the dentist but as long as there is a BARGAIN to be had....I am sure that he would head South.....Probably need a locking gas cap on your mobil office. Paul, I am sipping a cup of Columbian right now and Greyfox...are you spending any time in the woods?

·
Registered
411 Posts
it's even closer than u think!

1 less day

1 - 19 of 19 Posts