Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe Doc is not up. I'm up for the third time and just turned on the coffee pot. Might be that full moon pulling on my primitive side.:D Maybe go to howling just before sunup. I sure hope each of you have a great day. Still waiting on my stockman to finish up my stock...man he's slow.:)

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Morning James and those to follow

Got to get going to get out and about. Was mentioned yesterday that Doc traveled far and wide to look into mouths. Wellll.............bet he's glad he is not a proctologist:eek: :eek: Don't know how far I'd travel to do that. Seem to meet enough on occasion to not need to go looking for them:D

Y'all enjoy this one, going to happen one minute at a time anyway. Looks like a WHP 308 is going to be coming my way in the near future. Woo Hoo

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good Wednesday Hump Day To Ya All!

Good morning to all! Hope everyone is doing good this morning. :) Have a great and safe day! :D

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Good Morning Randy & GGVG Friends

A gooooooooooooooooood morning from a cool Southern, Ky. 30.3
degrees here this morning, looks like frost on tha ground. Well, at
least 1/2 of the "Tennessee Robots" are up and going strong.:D
Guess the other one is in his "new reloading dungeon" pouring some
powder & bullets in cases. ;) Looks like "Tha Old Grey Rooster" is
still frozen to tha roost pole. Shoooooooooo, ya old phardt ! Time
to get out of tha henhouse !:D Guess Murph is about to get his
cans all collected up for his "Southern Voyage" soon. Looking very
much forward to a visit from "Tha Poor Old Farmer". Hope each of
you has a great day today. God bless......

Don M.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I'll have you know...

Looks like "Tha Old Grey Rooster" is
still frozen to tha roost pole. Shoooooooooo, ya old phardt ! Time
to get out of tha henhouse !:D Don M.
...I've been on the board since 2:30. But, I know how badly you need your beauty sleep, so I didn't want to wake ya and sooner than necessary. After all, we are the ones that have to look at yer mug, and it's tough enough already!:D :D

P.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Got to get going to get out and about. Was mentioned yesterday that Doc traveled far and wide to look into mouths. Wellll.............bet he's glad he is not a proctologist:eek: :eek: Don't know how far I'd travel to do that. Seem to meet enough on occasion to not need to go looking for them:D

Y'all enjoy this one, going to happen one minute at a time anyway. Looks like a WHP 308 is going to be coming my way in the near future. Woo Hoo
:D

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Mornin Jame n gang!

Gonna make it to the 50s today. Every day of this in January is one less day of heating bills...WooHoo!!

Good to see so many regulars up this morning. I see my nemises the "Head Rat" is out of the hot tub already.

Well, I'm hoping the new year gets started sooner than later, work wise. So far, it is still "gittin ready to git ready", I guess. [sigh].

Y'all have a good hump day!

P.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I oversleep and =my profession is changed to=

a lower body designation= [g] :D
Well alright then=
A long roady yesterday but we stayed until we got r done
so closer trip for today
Sounds like rain for the rest of the week so
we'd better enjoy warm and dry today
make it a goodun'
over and out
Doc:)

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Got to get going to get out and about. Was mentioned yesterday that Doc traveled far and wide to look into mouths. Wellll.............bet he's glad he is not a proctologist:eek: :eek: Don't know how far I'd travel to do that. Seem to meet enough on occasion to not need to go looking for them
A doctor friend once told me at a dinner party, "The difference between a gynecologist and a proctologist is a fundamental example of the difference between coming in first and second place, no matter how close." :D Well, I dunno 'bout that. Maybe we'll see a comparison of the two on an episode of "Dirty Jobs"?? :p I think ol doc definitely chose the "better end" of the alimentary canal to rummage around in. LOL!

P.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Finished up with my winter freezer meat yesterday evening. Went to my shooting house about 4:15 and around 4:50 4 does wandered out of the woods. After checking for buttons, I picked the largest and set the Bushnell for a neck shot. I really wasn't paying all that much attention to the rest of the deer, because I expected them to spook at the shot. But, when I dropped the Encore's hammer, two does fell, the one I had picked and .......the smaller one right behind her. Both went down with neck shots in almost identical spots.

What makes this really funny is an ongoing controversy on the tndeer forum. It seems that many of the Tn deer hunters are sceptical regarding a change this year that made a 22CF legal for deer. Also, they seem to be determined to take "boiler room" shots and follow blood trails. I hate tracking deer in the dark, so I take only head and neck shots. Looks like the 5.6x50AI was more than adequate for the job and I have two freezers full of venison.

Y'all have a great day.

Rick

·
Registered
446 Posts
Morning..

I'm fighting a seenus/ear infection again this morning. What a rip- I'm thinking this antibiotic is not working?

Seenus Infection:
- condition where two or more are visually observed in the act of performing some bad deed by another party, and that party inturn either wants to do, or actually does, the same...

Ya'll Turn2,
Tom (Aceball) Mac

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Congrats, Rick. You've got freezer-filling down to a pretty efficient operation.:)

Knowing you're a neck-shot guy, I have a question that's been puzzling me since rifle season here in KY. I used my .243 (the infamous "Flamethrower") again this year, with the same Sierra 85 BTHPs that worked well last year. Though it wasn't intentional, two of the does I killed this year were hit smack in the spine, 2 inches or less aft of the front shoulder blades. In both cases the bullet blew out a chunk of spine as big as my fist, but in neither case was it a quick, clean kill. In fact, I waited 30 minutes for one of the does to bleed out and finally put her down with a head shot when she was still quite alive and looking around after half an hour. She didn't appear to be hurting (shock?), but it wasn't the quick, humane kind of shot that I pride myself on.

My question is this: If neck shots are generally instant kills, why wouldn't the spine shots I described have a more dramatic effect? Maybe it has to do with whether you hit the spinal cord before or after the "wiring" branches off to the heart and lungs. But I would still think there would be massive shock to the brain, enough to shut it down, and that's just not what I observed at all.

What I experienced sure has me thinking that "neck shot" must not mean any old place along the upper spinal column. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Good morning, James. Well, I had to return to "swinging the hammer" yesterday, which I wasn't looking forward to. But I'm happy to have a good job and be healthy enough to work, so I'd better quit complaining, right?

Say, football fans, how about those Louisville Cardinals winning last night's Orange Bowl? Yeah, I know only scoring 24 points was pretty pitiful, but it got the job done. That makes two Kentucky football teams that won bowl games this year. I need to check the book of Revelation, but I'm pretty sure that's one of the End Time signs.:D

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Mike,
While some of my neck shots have been instant kills, I may have given the wrong impression. What they are is instant......paralysis. About half the time, I need to finish things off with a head shot, but like you observed, there doesn't appear to be any pain. (I had to put both of these does out with head shots.) I generally take the shots about midpoint between the shoulder and the base of the neck and about 3-4" below the top of the back, IOW- near the center of the neck fron the side. Whether or not the spine is hit seems immaterial. The shock of the impact produces the desired effect.

Rick
BTW- shoot me an email.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Morning Rick

Finished up with my winter freezer meat yesterday evening. Went to my shooting house about 4:15 and around 4:50 4 does wandered out of the woods. After checking for buttons, I picked the largest and set the Bushnell for a neck shot. I really wasn't paying all that much attention to the rest of the deer, because I expected them to spook at the shot. But, when I dropped the Encore's hammer, two does fell, the one I had picked and .......the smaller one right behind her. Both went down with neck shots in almost identical spots.

What makes this really funny is an ongoing controversy on the tndeer forum. It seems that many of the Tn deer hunters are sceptical regarding a change this year that made a 22CF legal for deer. Also, they seem to be determined to take "boiler room" shots and follow blood trails. I hate tracking deer in the dark, so I take only head and neck shots. Looks like the 5.6x50AI was more than adequate for the job and I have two freezers full of venison.

Y'all have a great day.

Rick
Congratulations on the shot & freezer meat. :D

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Voldoc.the Orange Cap has drawn a blank so far but I'm down in my back and won't be out for a few days...A lame excuse is better than none I suppose; last nite and this AM would have been Prime hunting but i couldn't make it. My wife offered to 'Carry my Rifle" again but I took a pass. Get'em in a few days I hope. JR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts