Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I might be ready for my first varmint hunt. What caliber would be best? I already have a 222 , 220 swift, 6x284 and a 6.5 x 284. what should I really have to do this?

I can reload so oddballs may not be out of the question on this one.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Depends on the varmint to be hunted. For groundhogs to 300yds the 222 would be great for groundhogs to way out there the others are great. For prairie dogs in volume to 300yds the 222 for pds way out there the others are great BUT not in high volume without lots of cooling time. For PDs in volume at distances over 300, I'd say the 204 ruger or the 22-250(but with a little less volume than the 204) Barrel heat and cummulative recoil being the criteria that are mostly driving this response. If you are talking about calling predators, then I want a lighter weight rifle. Something that is portable, and nimble in the hands. Shots are usually shorter when shooting predators because you are calling them in. Volume generally isn't an issue either in that circumstance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rotney...what type of varmint...what will be the terrain?

Say a yote out in not too wide open spaces then a 222 will do the trick. Need a little more range...the 220Swift.

Why not see if Chuck has a small caliber he is not using but has some loads ready and take it. :)

Just grab one and get out there and hunt.

DB

·
Registered
102 Posts
What kind of varmints? At what ranges?

For ground squirrels or 'chucks at 600 to 800 yds, you might prefer a different caliber than if callin' coyotes in at ranges of 20 to 50 yds.

For some purposes the rimfires are great. And for other purposes, well, you know...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more advice on usage

This will be for PDs at 300-600 yards unless I can go farther.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
You need a 223 for most of your shooting and then I'd take either or both of the 284 based cartridges for really stretching the range and fighting the wind.

With the right combination of bullets, shooter, atmospheric conditions, and rifle the 284s could get you out to over 1000yds.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
PDs out to 600

Based on what you mentioned and what you have in the photo, I'd say all you need is a truck load of ammo, some sunblock, a rest, and a shooting bench. Can't tell if there's a 17 HMR in the battery. I always take HMRs but you can get by without one if you have to.

Doug

·
Registered
876 Posts
It would appear to me that;

All you need for a varmint hunt would be a sturdy gunny-sack! To carry all those fine rifles! Gee-whiz I would like to fondle a couple of them. I would guess that you could close your eyes and play eeenie meenie and get one that would work great! You were just lookin for an excuse to buy another project werent ya?

·
Registered
928 Posts
I agree with Doug, you already have what you need. Just load enough ammo for your hunt. Load the 222, 220Swift and 6-284 and you will have just about everything covered.
Everything else is just another caliber to play with, more than an actual necessity
Ken

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't see anything there that fits the bill. I'd recommend you run out to the nearest gun shop and buy another rifle!

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
6-284 or 6.5-284 which do you like best

I have just bought two barrels in these two calibers from james phillips and have them at Mike Bryants being fitted to my 40x. which is your favorite at 500 yd. and out. is your 6-284 twisted for the heavy bullets, 107, etc.?
If you don't have a 6 br i would suggest that as your next varmint caliber. Super accurate and no recoil.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would recommend a big "twenty"--.204/T20 and a HMR or 2.
Don't know where your planning to go, but on my way home from SE New Mexico, I drove US 54 east from Dalhart and could not believe all the PD's--some in peoples front yards. Made me want to stop for a few days.
Bob

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK LETS SEE IF i CAN NARROW THIS DOWN

so lets say I am gonna build 1 more what caliber to build
20 tac
or 223 , 223 AI

and I am looking for one that may not heat up as fast as the others? Now which one?

·
Registered
726 Posts
You definitely don't need any more guns

Besides all of the many varmint calibers you mentioned, I see you own an AR-15, which means you also own a .223 And I spy on nice custom Ruger 10-22 there too.

So save your money, and spend it on a good guide or outfitter. You are already set for firearms, for you have more guns than it would even be practical to take on a hunt.

Lance in Orygun

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
20 Tac

That is a sweet diversified collection ya got going there but with a handle like deadasslast2004 your gona have to get out and do a little practicing :p
I'd put a free floated flattop 20 Tac on the AR!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would say that you have everything covered, but hey that does not mean that you do not NEED another rifle!;) I would go with a heavy barrelled 204, it would take a while to heat up. It is flat shooting, accurate and mild recoil. I really like my Savage 12 VLP for ground squirrels. It is just a fun caliber to shoot, that red mist effect as well as air time. It is close to a 22-250 out to 300 yards. The 221 fireball is a kick to shoot but for shorter ranges than you are talking about. That Swift or 6X284 would be perfect for the long range stuff as long as you do not heat up the barrel too much. Nice collection of toys......now I need another rifle and it is all your fault!!! :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
I can't believe.......

no one recognized the second one from the left in the pic. That's the infamous DAA Afghani Talibani Whacker.

·
Registered
698 Posts
204 Ruger

I sure love this little round. It shoots like a laser and has no recoil. This means you can see every hit through the scope....that's a big plus. My 17 Mach IV is great but the 204 Ruger gives them a little more airtime and ranges out further. I have a Savage and a CZ both in 204....I keep thinking about adding a Cooper to my collection but I am trying to fight the urge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts