Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm up early again for some unknown reason. We got about 2" of snow here where I live and more in different places...we were only supposed to only have some "flurries" ya right weatherman. Well I'm gonna load some barrel breakin rounds today... don't have any secret loads you're willing to share do ya for 105's and Varget. The coffee pot just burped the last bit out and I'm gonna be the first one in it this morning. Ya all have a good day today.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
good day---trip to hones george gun emporium today

going up to visit with george at Honest George Gun Emporium, your center for benchrest rifle needs. Picking ups some 'stuff' for the Celina boys(doc stone and Todd). May have to rent a U-haul coming home with doc's stuff.
Might even get by Jackie Stogsdil's place while up in the area.
Give us a report on how that 6 br shoots, james. Can't wait to hear. I don't have any loads for 105's yet but 31.8 gr varget is sweet with 87 v-max.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Good Morning to Everyone. No snow but a nippy 34* here near the coast. Not much new to report, no load suggs for the 105 James, but I am sure you will get it sorted out. You going to "ladder"? How many diff pills are in the mix? All of us inquiring minds you know.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TA, I've got some 105 Amaxs and Bergers.I've got some lighter bullets but want to stay on the heavy side. Going to the gun show in Kingsport Tn Sat to see if I see any bullets there that I can pickup. Ya I think I'll try the ladder. I'll have to go elsewhere to do it but I don't think that will be a problem..just having to pack it and go. It will be next week maybe before going. I thought I'd put a few through the barrel here to do a breakin before doing the ladder. I'll keep ya updated. Thanks It's 26º here this am.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Mornin James, bd, TA, n gang!

Whew! Gale (gail?) force winds finally died down 'round here. Air that chilly ought not be in such a hurry! It tends to get into the nooks and crannies, and I hate it when my crannies get cold!:eek:

Good luck on that 6BR. I don't shoot 105s in my 14 twist 6BR, of course. But, I would imagine somewhere in the "hood" of 30 gn of Varget should get ya pretty close. As I've suggested before - weigh your ladder. I would start at about 31 gn and go down from there in .3 (or .2 even) gn increments. If you have some other powders and/or blts to try, this would be a good time to load some of them too. And, if you want to post the results, I'd be happy to "read the tea leaves" for ya!

I see my ol nemises is still sawing logs...or abusing his (yellow) rubber duckie with song. GIT OUTTA DAT TUB AN JOIN THE LIVIN', U OL' RAT!

Well, y'all have a good one. Don't let your crannies get cold...especially U Don...wearin' just a thong an all...:rolleyes:

P.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
morning all

It's a brisk 27 here in the big E. I think I'll stop by the store on my way in and get me some coffe to that sounds good about now. Don't have anything to add on the 105's James but I would like to know what you end up with, who knows maybe someday I'll have a simmular problem. Be good everyone it's off to the old salt mine for me.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Good morning to all! Don't normally do morning roll calls but was called into work at 3 am for problems at one of our wells, back home right now having breakfast and coffee, then back to regular work by 7am. Had a dusting of snow last night and it is now 28° here, this is the most winter like weather we have had yet. Hope every one has a great day.....

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Good mOrning James & GGVG Friends

A goooooooooooooood morning to everyone from a much cooler Southern,
Ky. 28.2 degrees here this morning and we didn't get any accumulation of
snow yesterday or last night. Heavy flurries at tiems yesterday. I see that
several of the usual crew is up and going storng this morning. Looks like we
are missing Doc !:confused: Do ya reckon that his trip yesterday with Nurse
Goodbody has him all tuckered out ?:confused: I see that "Old Rooster" is
perched on his fence post this morning a crowing. Might outta be careful
before some hungry sole wrings his neck and put him in the frying pan. I
can promise you one thing, he would be as tough as an old shoe tongue. :p
Guess the Diesel Supply in the south is getting in short supply since Murph
is crusing around down there in his Diesel Mobile. Any sighting by Rick & Lisa
yet ? Hope each of you has a wonderful day today. God bless.:D

Don M.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good Morning GGVG Friends !

Good morning to everyone! I am running late this morning, forgot to turn the alarm clock on, but it's alright, still time to get to work. :( I hope you all have a wonderful day. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Good morning..

Ya'll turn2

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have degs this mirning

I have 28degs this morning. Tomorrow it should be in high 50's and mid 60's Friday .
James , My 6mmBR with a LW barrel 1:8 twist I was not real happy with the 105's Berger or JLK bullets . This is what I shot with what powder I had on hand ,and seating a lot of different bullet depths .

30.0grs Varget 80 gr Berger .275 3 shot groups
32.5grs RL15 80gr berger .156 3 shot group
32.5 VV540 95gr Berger . 328 3 shot groups
30.5 grs Varget 95gr Berger .236 3 shots @ 2806 fps
30. grs RL15 105 Berger .625 3shots
30. grs Varget 105 Berger .573 @ 2714fps
30.grs Varget 105 JLK .410 and .515 @ 2730 fps

I think this is about as hot as I can go in this barrel
As you can see it shot the 80 and 95 grs the best, and not what I wanted for a 600yd gun .
I now have a Hart 1:14 twist barrel on it. and I'm going to the range today to see how it shoots. With first time fire on Lapua brass it shot .369 groups with 65 gr Bergers . And I'll be shooting the 65gr Bergers today .
I probley need a lot of HELP.

All Have a good day. Art

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Good Morning from Rip Vanwinkle=

Well alright then=
I musta got some of the Rip Vanwinkle stuff as
I slept all nite until 5:45AM
got to do a short roady today
cold and foggy in Middle TN
make it a goodun
over and out
Doc :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good morning, gang.

James, I can't help you with a 105 formula, but, like Paul, I use the ladder to work up most loads and would be happy to help if you run into interpretation challenges (and you will).

My best advice is to shoot these ladders at 300 yards. If you shoot only one round at each powder charge and you put them all on the same target, be totally sure that your spotting scope is capable of seeing holes at that range and that you plot each round on paper back at your bench as you're shooting. One mis-recorded round pretty much fouls up the whole process.

What I usually prefer to do is this: If I have 10 incremental rounds loaded, I'll prepare 10 small targets and clearly write the powder charge at the top of each with a big, black Magic Marker. When I load my incremental rounds, I'll write the charge right on the brass with a marker. So then you just shoot the targets, paying close attention to wind and allowing a good 3-5 minutes for cooling between shots. With this method, you don't have to record squat at your bench, although you can if you want. When finished, pull the targets, take them home and plot all the holes on a combined target, with the weights jotted beside each shot. Then brew your magic tea, work yourself into a good Zen state and try to interpret your ladder.

What you're looking for are spots where at least three shots hit almost the same vertically. I don't worry that much about horizontal at this point, although some guys do. Working with 10-12 incremental shots, I'll usually have at least two spots where three shots are grouped fairly tight. I'll take the middle shot in each of those "groups" and load up 10-15 rounds at that charge. Take those rounds to the range and shoot them at whatever distance you're preparing this load for. Usually one powder charge or the other will show itself as "the one." As mentioned above, when you shoot these, you want to have flags out and pay close attention to the wind.

Once you've narrowed things down to a certain powder charge, I go back through the same process, but this time my variable is seating depth (jump to lands). I handle that process the same as with powder charge, but it can be even tougher to interpret because seating depth is fine tuning, so a lot of your incremental depths should hit dang near the same vertically. Still, you can learn some things from the process.

Sorry for rambling, but maybe some of this will help when you fire your ladders.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts