Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some spring cleaning at the club, I shot my 10mm Tanfoglio Hunter at a 6 inch plate at 75 yards. First 10 shots I thought were amazing. I hit 6 of 10 shots offhand! My misses was close enough that most would have hit a 10-12 inch plate! Second shots dropped off to 4-5 out of 10. I think my old eyes were getting strained at that point. My friend took 2 shots, first shot just slightly off at 4 o'clock, second shot dead center....now all I have to do is get reloading components and dies.
I really like this gun! I might buy a scope or dot mount for it just to see exactly what itll do! It seems open sights with my eyes are its limiting factor.

Steven

·
Registered
293 Posts
Keep shooting it and it's gonna get expensive.....ammo wise. The 10mm is a hoot to shoot. For plinkers, you might consider either pulled bullets at American Reloading. Their stock is subject to availability but I've been paying less than 10 cents each for the Federal HST 180grs jacketed. Some are new stock and some are pulled bullets. They shoot under an inch at 25 yds with a max load of 2400 at 1250'ps. Can't complain about that. Another GOOD source for reasonably priced bullets will be Everglades Reloading. Their brand of bullets is identical to the Noslers I was buying. Accuracy is just as good as a name brand. As you'll find out, the slower powders work great in the 10mm. A lot of the guys are using Longshot and AA9 with AA7 and Blue Dot also favorites. Doesn't sound like the gun needs any break in, just find THE load for it and go. Won't be long, I promise you, and you'll be sleeping with it!:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
10mm’s are lots of fun....

Been shooting 180 grain plated Berry’s bullets over 10.0 of BlueDot at the 100 yard plate,it is very rewarding to do.I do have to use a red dot though:rolleyes:
Matt

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Good shootin!!

I'm jealous of uz guyz and your 10mms. A 6" gong at 75 yards...makes for excellent shooting off hand, bro!

Tell us more about the gun. I worked in a gunshop for a short while, but never saw one like that pass through the shop. It looks like a well made piece.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm jealous of uz guyz and your 10mms. A 6" gong at 75 yards...makes for excellent shooting off hand, bro!

Tell us more about the gun. I worked in a gunshop for a short while, but never saw one like that pass through the shop. It looks like a well made piece.
It's a Tanfoglio Witness Hunter. (Much like a CZ-75) They're made only in .45 and 10mm, though 40 S&W barrels are available, 6 inch barrel, long slide, the gun comes with standard and fiber optic front sights. The rear sight reminds me of an old Bo-mar rear sight. They are all drilled and tapped for a frame mounted optic mount if you'd want. They are made in Italy and imported thru EAA. It has a fair trigger....better than any striker gun, not as good as a tuned 1911, it's longer pull than a 1911, but about the same weight as a decent 1911 and breaks cleanly. Standard Mags hold 14 (+1) with mag extensions and followers available to stretch it to 19 or 20 +1.
Just for kicks, I borrowed a holster and shot it in a USPSA match. I didn't do as well as I could have, but with full power loads I had the biggest boom on the line.
Bottom line...I do REALLY LIKE THIS GUN!

http://eaacorp.com/guns/witness-hunter-tanfoglio-109

Steven

·
Registered
293 Posts
They are made in Italy
Not exactly. The parts are made by IMI of Israel. They also make the Desert Eagle and Jericho weapons. The parts are assembled in Italy and brought into the USA by EAA. Only downside to one is IF you have any issues with it, it may be months before parts arrive. My brother had one in 45ACP. It was a fabulous weapon until it needed parts. But that was 20 years ago so the parts situation may be different now. But while they shoot, the EAA Hunter is one great pistol.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I have been trying to talk myself into one. I have gotten into handguns a lot more lately, and like shooting out to 120 yds where I have a 12" clanger. If you shoot much, learn how high to hold, it can be a lot of fun. My LGS has a nice 1911, Philipino made, but good quality, very heavy and aggressive checkering on all the frame and grips, should not move unless it takes some skin with it.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Two reasons I got the Tanfoglio was that I shoot league with a number of people that shoot them without any problems and because they seem to last longer than most 1911 based guns in 10mm (though I really like my 1911s!) The gun I have and the newer ones I've seen are all marked "made in Italy" FWIW
Here's a picture of the grips I got for it...and cheap too! $35! If you want a set, let me know and I'l give you contact info.
By the way, the gun is single action only and can be carried "cocked and locked" with the safety allowed to be engaged with hammer in any position.

Steven

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.