Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a powder coating system for Christmas and I've just been having a blast powder coating car parts etc... I'm thinking of trying to powdercoat gun parts, such as trigger guards, floor plates etc.. possibly even actions and was wondering if folks would be interested in that type of service and if you thought there'd be a market in it.

If you don't know what powdercoating is, it is much more durable than paint. It consists of a powder that is electrostatically applied to a metal object, and said object is baked in an oven for 20 mins at 400 deg F. The finish is very resistant to scratching etc and is extremely durable. I powdercoated some items in semi-gloss black and it looks very close to what the trigger guards etc on remington rifles look like.

Would appreciate your thoughts.... both pro and con.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Wow..... that sounds like a neat toy. I didn't know they made kits/systems to use at home. Who makes this new toy of yours?

Several custom gun makers/barrel makers use a powder coat system on their metal parts and the powder coat is supposed to be more durable than paint or bluing. Last year I was rebuilding a 22lr bolt action that my dad got when he was 15, one of my options for redoing the barrel was powder coating but from the prices I found online it was to expensive for my purposes and ended up painting it instead.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eastwood makes the kit I got. You still have to have an oven to bake the parts in, and it can't be the oven that you cook food in. So, a friend found me a used oven for free (can't beat that).

I've got an old Marlin 22Mag that I got from my father in law that would be a good donor to test. Just don't know how easy (or hard) it is to remove the bbl from the Marlin's.. Any idea?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Mike, not sure how the Marlins come apart. I have a Marlin 922, semi-auto in 22mag, but have never taken the stock off. When I need to take guns apart I go to Numrich Gun Parts, they have diagrams of the parts to make it easier for you to buy the right items from them. Maybe they will have your rifle listed and by looking at the diagram figure out if it is pinned, pressed, threaded or other ways attached to the receiver.

http://www.e-gunparts.com

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.. I'll check 'em out. For this particular application, I MIGHT be able to do it action and barrel at the same time.. just plug the bbl and the action with the high temp plugs that I have.

Should be interesting

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I just looked at Eastwoods website and it looks like your new toy could be lots of fun!

What Marlin do you have? If it is old enough there shouldn't be any hidden materials that can not withstand 400°, your idea of doing the action/barrel as a unit is possible. Are you thinking of doing the action or masking it off? Two different colors? The more you think of it the more wild the ideas become!*L*

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Neat toy, Mike!

Say...Just had a thought...How much would you take to powder coat Don M? I especially like the idea of connecting an electrode to...some part of his anatomy, and powdering him in his favorite color...HOT PINK! Now, I dunno 'bout the 400 degree oven tho. Course, he IS trying to loose some more weight. Whatdaya think there Mike?? LOL!

P.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As far as protecting the threads are concerned, I have hi-temp tape that I can put over the threads. I recently did some bolts (alternator mount bolts), and coated the threads and all. Other than some resistance going back in, there was no issue at all. Having said that, since we're talking extra fine threads, and not a 9/16" bolt, I'd probably use some hi-temp tape.

I tell ya what, if you'll pay shipping both ways, I'll coat 'em for ya. That way, if you like the work, you can tell folks.. if not, you can tell 'em (and me), and I'll make it right.

Won't be doing freebies for everyone, but I would like to get started and the best way is by word of mouth. I have flat black, and semi-gloss black.

Mike

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neat toy, Mike!

Say...Just had a thought...How much would you take to powder coat Don M? I especially like the idea of connecting an electrode to...some part of his anatomy, and powdering him in his favorite color...HOT PINK! Now, I dunno 'bout the 400 degree oven tho. Course, he IS trying to loose some more weight. Whatdaya think there Mike?? LOL!

P.
Well, lets see.. Since you're asking for hot pink, that's a special order color.. Might take awhile to get that color, but I betcha I can have it done in time for the BBB...Bring him on down and we'll hook him right up!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I just looked at Eastwoods website and it looks like your new toy could be lots of fun!

What Marlin do you have? If it is old enough there shouldn't be any hidden materials that can not withstand 400°, your idea of doing the action/barrel as a unit is possible. Are you thinking of doing the action or masking it off? Two different colors? The more you think of it the more wild the ideas become!*L*
I could get really wild with it! I'd just go with semi-gloss black though just to get it back to something close to reasonable looking. It's a Marlin 782 in 22 WMR... I'll have to check the link and get some more info. I think it will fit as is in the oven, so I can just plug the bbl and the internal part of the action and press on.

Looks like it should be easy enough to separate. It's pinned.

Mike

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a Marlin 782. I went to the e-gunworks.com (or whatever the link was Gary posted), and it is indeed pinned. So, should be pretty easy to take apart and powder coat.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
209 Posts
I got a big one!

Thanks.. I'll check 'em out. For this particular application, I MIGHT be able to do it action and barrel at the same time.. just plug the bbl and the action with the high temp plugs that I have.

Should be interesting
Mike,

I have a very large oven I use in my shop that will fit many many guns in at once. If ya want I will fire it for ya for nothing, I'll even pay freight back!

Scott

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd have to bring all my powdercoatin stuff down your way to coat it... Can't spray and ship.. gotta bake it or the stuff just rubs off. It will fit in my little oven though.. shouldn't be a problem.

I would like to keep you in mind though if'n/when I need to do something big.. I could load it up along with my powder and the powder gun and come down. Would be about time I get down to see ya anyways.

·
Registered
209 Posts
In all fairness I have stuff on have to coat it too but you are more than welcome anytime. I have a bunch of bobcats and fox right now that need popin after deer season Lets get a weekend together and call some critters!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.