Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Lowrance GPS for my car. It requires a SD memory card. Is there any reason to get the high speed card for this application?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess that makes me a wimp,

Alan, I'd opine that it doesn't need a high-speed card unless the instruction book says it does. (Yeah, yeah. I know. All REAL men throw the instruction book away first!)
because I download a manual for everything I buy. Problem is, I can't find anything in the manual stating what's recommended, other than the downlaod instructions for updates mentions a minimum of 256K. I figured a standard 1GB would do the trick. Thanks to both of you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mark me down for wimpdom, too. The FIRST thing I unpack is the manual, and I read it cover to cover before I touch anything else. (Saves me a lot of trouble, grief, broken parts - and sometimes tells me to return something that won't meet my needs after all.)

I'd say your thoughts are accurate. My Magellan Meridian Color has (...he reaches for it and opens the back...) only a standard 64 Mb card in it, and I can hold the complete road maps for all the Rocky Mountain states except California (and I refuse to go there). So you should be more than fine.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Automobile GPS units,,just bought two different models,,,

I've had experience with the older TomToms - they are great GPS units. That was my brother in law's unit that I learned on.
I do not want to use my "hunting/exploring/fishing" Garmin RINO 530 since it gets a LOT of use during hunting season which is long here in Georgia. I just bought a windsheild mount and a Carbiner clip mount for it,,,and the windsheild mount is VERY nice IF I have to use the RINO for the car.

I purchased a TomTom ONE {$499} thru Sam's Club as I've had top results with any purchase from them. Used it for two months. It was SUPER,,BUT,,,it did have what I consider a flaw at least for my purposes which is driving all over Atlanta every day to several customer stops. I may know where the house IS,,,but I may NOT have had to navigate to it from where I may be AT~!
The TomTom ONE was off in it's estimate of "time to destination" calculations. A two hour trip would be predicted to be 2 hours and 54 minutes away. The Garmin RINO 530 I have [purchased City Navigator for it] would be only a few minutes off the actual time travelled.
That was not too big an issue for me. However the feature it would not perform for me that I really wanted was this: You can 'save' any waypoint,,as an address,,point of interest,,,,many ways to save a destination or favorite 'point'. ONE method of saving a 'point' is to save a "GPS Position" when you are THERE,,,and no address is known in the software's memory. So, if I entered a new subdivision not on the TomTom ONE's memory I SHOULD be able to save THAT LOCATION by saving the "GPS Position". I would be about a few hundred yards off the "known highway", being at a new house location that I wanted to save. I would do the "save GPS Position" procedure and the unit would claim to accept it to memory. I could even 'title' the new saved waypoint. However,,just to test, I could drive away,,back onto a highway a few miles away,,and then try to navigate back to the 'saved GPS Position". The unit would say "route not possible". The ONLY way the unit would save a "GPS Position",,was IF I were ON a known [to the units' software] address or highway. THEN it would recognize the position,,and succesfully navigate back to it from a distance. I believe it was saving an ADDRESS,,not an actual "GPS position".
Sam's was great,,they accepted the unit after almost 50 days with full refund. I then turned around and purchased the GARMIN 360 Automobile unit { about $565},,and have been VERY satisfied with it. Both units are VERY fast to 'recalculate' a route if you pass a turn. I would guess about 3 seconds.
The GARMIN 360 seems to be able to save a "location" wether or not I am on a known highway or off on a piece of property. I think GARMIN may have the better road/address/GPS locator ability,,at least from my experience it does.
WARNING,,,once you get used to one,,,you won't WANT to do WITHOUT one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.