Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate any recommendations for a GPS unit & any experiences with poor performing units. I am planning to hunt in new areas of the Allegheny Natl Forest and want to mark good spots and find my way back to the vehicle. Thanks in advance for any insights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Garmin

I just bought my third Garmin.

It is a etres Summit.

Simple, straight forward and very accurate.

You should be able to get one between $100 - $150.

It won't give you directions to the nearest Hooter's, but it will get you back to the truck:)=

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I'd appreciate any recommendations for a GPS unit & any experiences with poor performing units. I am planning to hunt in new areas of the Allegheny Natl Forest and want to mark good spots and find my way back to the vehicle. Thanks in advance for any insights.
I would have recommended the Garmin Map 76 loaded with their "Topo" package which I have found exceeds the needs you have stated. I would have told you that it has higher resolution than the "Gazzateers". I would have told you that in the Topo s/w are features such as old logging triails that aren't on many maps, including some USGS topos. I would have told you I have found the less than one meter accuracy is waaaay more than most can resolve from the best topo maps. I would have told you that not only can you find your dead critter or favorite spot, but your back trail will be marked too. I would have told you that if you want to get back to camp, you can quickly find an alternate route...IN THE FRIGGIN DARK...But, last time I tried to assure someone the Map 76 GPS w/ Topo in it was very useful and I could recommend it, I got SOOOO blasted by one who is a professional cartogrpher who claimed in no uncertain terms that highly detailed topo maps were the only way to go and the Garmin/Topo was essentially worthless unless, "...you only want to find the side of a mountain...".

But, apparently only highly detailed topo maps and a compass meet the criteria of some.:rolleyes: So, rather than tell ya how much I think of the Garmin Map 76 (WAAS enabled) and what a great navigational aid it has been...I'll defer to the cartographer(s) among us who might be of the opinion that only highly detailed topo maps and a compass is all that is needed - day or night - to navigate by.

All kidding asside... the Map 76/Topo is, IMO, an excellent tool for navigating a hunt, finding one's way around and back, downed game, etc. But, batteries die, trees and canyons obscure the satellites, so I would say a good (7.5 minute) USGS topo map(s) of the area AND a good compass are a must have. Put another way, the GPS is NICE to have, but especially in rough and unfamiliar country, it should not be your sole navigation instrument. In that regard, a good topo map and compass is still the best insurance to surviving in the wilderness. Having said that, I'll have my Garmin in my pocket and several fresh sets of batteries along too!:D

P.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Reba......Why are you on your 3rd Garmin?

I was under the impression that they make one of the best?????

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use a Garmin GPS Map 76 CS for driving, when hunting or just exploring in the woods. It's quite simple to switch between the city/street maps and the topo maps. IMHO, the color display is a must have. It's rugged and it floats with the batteries in it. The newest version is the 76 CSX. MI VHNTR

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Another happy Garmin user

I'll pile on with the suggestion to go with a Garmin unit. Up to you which specific one meets your needs best. But I would highly recommend choosing one of the models that lets you load detailed maps into removable memory cards. And preferably not the Garmin proprietary cards - they are a lot more expensive than generic SD cards.

I'm on my third Garmin now too, just recently got the newest one (my Christmas gift, actually). Both of my previous two units are still going strong. The first one I got a good ten years ago. A 12xl. No mapping capability or anything like that, just basic GPS with a 12 channel reciever (which was fairly new tech and the big deal back then). Then about five or six years ago I got a newer model, an Extrex Legend. It is a handheld, has 8MB of memory that you can load maps into. It has served me very well and will continue to serve my handheld needs.

But for vehicle use I've been wanting a bigger screen, with color, and much more memory for loading maps into. After much, much research I finally chose the GPSMAP 276c and a 512MB card. I already had the Garmin topo software to load on the card. This new unit ROCKS! Without bogging anyone down in too much boring detail, I was also very interested in the Lowrance Baja series units. They have nice BIG screens with good resolution. But after researching the Lowrance mapping software vs. the Garmin, I found the Garmin topos to be so much better than the Lowrance that it made the decision on which unit to get pretty easy for me.

- DAA

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well I'll disagree a little

Garmin YES but which one is a personal choice. If all you want is to mark a few spots and find your way back the cheap little Etrex , under a $100 then from there on it's size and $$$$$. My choice is the Etrex VistaC now they have the CX, full mapping and all the 76 will do but a bit smaller(choice). Now if I were to buy at the moment I think I would go with the 60CX(think thats the model).
And I think the reason the Cartog got all upset is that the 1:24000 quads have more detail than the maps on the GPS. But remember the maps are ONLY good to 40' and the GPS is good to 4-5 metres with Waas enabled so your position is better than the map at most times.

LEN

·
Registered
423 Posts
Oreo??? must be an imposter 'cause (PIC)

here's the REAl Oreo!!!

Just having a little fun,Mr.Oreo---welcome to GGVG!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Garmin GPS

I just bought a Garmin 60 CXs Today and I cannot believe that it picks up sattelites even in the house where my Garmin 3 plus will not.The color display is awesome as well.:)The unit was rebated for 50.00 off so I couldn't resist,Merry Christmas to all of you and your familys.:):)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a Garmin Etrex Venture (which I bought right here,from a fellow GGVG guy) and I really like it. But, it is the only GPS I've ever used so I'm probably not well qualified to opine!

The Venture model would probably suit your needs, but I would recommend upgrading to an Etrex that is capable of accepting topo maps and has much more memory than the 1Mb Venture.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don't forget mapping software

I use Maptech Terrain Navigator to record all those interesting waypoints on USGS quality topo maps. The other cool thing you can do is study the maps, choose a place you want to go, mark a waypoint on the map, then download that waypoint to your GPS. When you leave the truck, your GPS will lead you to the point you selected on the map.

http://www.maptech.com/land/terrainnavigator/index.cfm?infopg=buy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts