Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of y’all shot PDogs in SD in resent years? I haven’t shot in there in the last 20 years. But, kinda thinking more about it. Any suggestions and or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I went in May '18, used a guide who only wanted you to shoot long range, like 500-1K yds. Lots of targets, but the long range game is not my preference. Hard to make 'em do the flips and helicopter flights at that range.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Still dogs in SD. Same rules apply as in the past. Locate dogs through local contacts, co-ops, feed stores, early morning restaurants. Basically you have two directions. If you have low $$ and plenty of time, the above will work. If you have the $$ and not much time an outfitter is a good choice. The dogs are there, just not quite as many and a little harder to find. If you don't mind driving a little further, Eastern Montana might be a better choice.

Rick

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shot a ranch on the Pine Ridge years ago...Before the tribal regulation mandated their guide deal.
The last ten years or so, been shooting on a ranch north of Laramie...new management decided to poison this year.

Will take a look at south eastern Montana. Maybe somewhere around Broadus.
Got lots more time than money, so investing a lit'l time in locating ranchers that want a bit of pest control will be time well spent, maybe.
Thanks Again for the input and any additional advise from the members here.
Dave

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I shot a ranch on the Pine Ridge years ago...Before the tribal regulation mandated their guide deal.
The last ten years or so, been shooting on a ranch north of Laramie...new management decided to poison this year.

Will take a look at south eastern Montana. Maybe somewhere around Broadus.
Got lots more time than money, so investing a lit'l time in locating ranchers that want a bit of pest control will be time well spent, maybe.
Thanks Again for the input and any additional advise from the members here.
Dave
Check your PM's
Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts