Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pre Mod 28 Highway Patrolman, N frame, 5 screw, 4", .357 shipped 55-56.

Shot a couple of boxes of .357 125gr and 158 gr., some .38 Spec+P 110 & 125 and some odds and ends- good day to clean out and refresh speed loaders.

Few revolvers more enjoyable to shoot than S&W N frames.

S&W killed Colt for me over 58 or so years ago - my first .357 was a Colt, a real LEAD MINE-all the factory .357 available back then were lead. I probably kept the Lewis Lead Remover folks in business until I sold that Colt.

My +62 year old Highway Patrolman cleaned right up...of course, been LEAD-FREE on .357 for over half a century.

Best.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
S&W

Went through a series of S&W revolvers in the first half or so of my career. Blue, stainless, standard barrel, bull barrel, fixed sights, adjustable sights, .38, .357. I was allowed to buy the 686-3 that I carried for several years before IPD went to 9mm. I don't shoot it much but every time I do I'm amazed. All I can say is SWEEEEET!

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I really enjoy shooting revolvers, especially during wintertime, so I don't have to chase brass in the snow and mud.

Usually shoot my S&W's, but I still like Colts a lot. Anything Colt has gone out of sight price-wise. I haven't had any significant leading in any of them, especially as long as they are cast hard enough, and don't have any copper fouling before shooting lead. Soft swaged lead bullets are a problem if they are loaded too fast or shot too hot physically.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Mine is a model 29, a 6" nickel that just loves a Sierra 240 JHP over a stiff load of (of all things) IMR 4227. With it and that load, Coke cans at 50 yards are no challenge at all.

And, like Tim said, hard cast swaged lead over a mild load of Unique (taget/plinking fun) produces very little lead fouling and is easy to clean out whatever does adhere to the bore.

It isn't my "social" weapon; too much over-penitration and muzzle blast for indoor situations. But, I used it for steel chickens and winning bets with a few stuffed shirts, now and then! :D So, I backed off the spring tension screw and stoned the sear for (IDK) 8 oz maybe?

I seldom shoot it anymore - don't shoot steel these days. But, I'm tempted to drag it out of the safe come next deer season and drop one of these garden munchers we have milling about!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts