Varmint Hunters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd tease a few varminters. Chucks are known for sneaking out of their dens to have a "look-see" during the cold months. Be there at the right time and, well, you get the picture. Stay prepared people. Thanks for the "PIC" tip Boss! Later, Bill.........

This Groundhog was out walking around in the snow toward the end of the winter. That was a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Got one last weekend here. They are pretty rare around here, so I was really suprised to see it . Had over a foot of snow the week before, but it had melted.

·
Registered
387 Posts
True hibernators

Just thought I'd tease a few varminters. Chucks are known for sneaking out of their dens to have a "look-see" during the cold months. Be there at the right time and, well, you get the picture. Stay prepared people. Thanks for the "PIC" tip Boss! Later, Bill.........

This Groundhog was out walking around in the snow toward the end of the winter. That was a couple of years ago.

Groundhogs are true hibernators. They go into hibernation where their heart rate drops to a few beats per minute and their breathing also. Their body temperature drops to just a few degrees above freezing. They can wake up and go out and forage then go back into hibernation. There is debate in the scientific community about whether bears are true hibernators because their body temperatures only drop to around forty degrees.

·
Registered
254 Posts
yep, dec-jan is mating season, ya see the most in Jan. And as for bears, the only ones who truly hibernate are the females with cubs or going to have cubs, males will lay up during bad weather or if they're losing alot of calories foraging, but they'll stir out quite often throughout the winter.
JS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts