Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. Stuck here in central NJ. Can anyone out there put me onto some groundhog hunting properties in or near NJ? Maybe someone knows of some farmers or someone that wants to get rid of some pests. Also, if someone is looking for a partner for varmint hunting locally or even for a trip for Prairie Dogs or such, I'd appreciate a reply. I'm retired and have been a member of The Varmint Hunters Assoc., for about 10 yrs. Thanx, Greydaddy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Retired, now you can travel..........

Come out West at least once in your lifetime.......that would be a extraordinary trip to get into the great Plains states after prairie dogs, then continue on to California or even Oregon (where I go)........if Oregon is in your horizon, I could place you in country your barrels would get hot in and it's all free! l.r.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Guided Groundhogs

My brother and I hooked up with "Mad Dog" who operates North Central Ohio Varmint Express. Mike offers guided groundhog hunts on Ohio farmland. We get shots from 200 yards out to 1000 if we could shoot that far. Mike is a hoot to be around. Tell him Jim & Bill sent you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Greydaddy, first my deepest and most sincere condolences to anyone who lives in New Jersey.

My family farm is near Pittstown. It's one of those Heritage farms that cannot ever be developed for housing. It's co-managed with Rutgers Univeraity as an orchard/farm. When I visit there once a year, my uncle always has me walk the orchards and shoot every groundhog I can find. (Yeah, I know - tough assignment!) I usually bring my Hornet to keep the noise down.

So my advise is simply to ask at any farm or orchard you see. There are lots of them, surprisingly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Groundhogs

Thanks for the condolences, Rocky Raab. Yeh, things sure change over the years. How's Utah? Actually, I hunt a farm nearby that's in the Farm Preservation Program, but the GH population's pretty thin. Just hoping someone around here knew some farmers that could use some varmint control. Greydaddy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Prairie Dogs vs. Groundhogs

Lone ranger, I did take a trip to S. Dakota afew years back. Not a hell of a lot of shooting, but was definitely fun. Long trip though, but I'm starting to think about it again. Time away and price of gas holds me back. Don't like to put my firearms on a plane. Greydaddy.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Utah? Ummm...don't move here. There's no more room, and no more water, and they tax stuff. And, um...you might not like Mormons. Stay away. No vacancy.

(Brother, we have ground squirrels and prairie dogs and fox and coyotes and rock chucks and crows and tons of public land, and it's all no season, no license and no limit. Same in Wyoming and Nevada, both short drives away. Idaho charges for a license, but it's not bad. It's a varmint/predator paradise, and the other stuff above is fudge. Oh, and it's gun-friendly to boot!)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Busting hogs

I am in Northern WV. Stop by in late June. All the hay should be down by then. We can bust a few together if you would like. I usually get 3 or 4 every afternoon. My best afternoon ever was 16. That was alot of fun. We normally hunt every day. Tom.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
PA has some good hunting spots. **PIC**

Greydaddy,
Have you ever considered a day trip to PA.? The limestone soil of south/central PA is ideal habitat for ole CHUCKY! I try to take a board member or two a year for a day of walk and pop shooting. I'm about 30 min north of Gettysburg near the town of Shippensburg,PA. PA requires a license for woodchuck, but the short-term small game license is about as much as half a tank of gas in a pick-up truck. It all depends on your desires. Like some others on here, I take daily walks during prime hunting months. I'll tell you the same thing that I tell everyone. I seldom get skunked on my daily walks, but it does happen. More often than not, I manage to find and shoot 3-5 chucks in a day of hunting. I've had great days where I've killed a dozen or better. I don't have very many places where I can set and shoot for hours, but I just take a leisurely stroll on a previously determined route. I stress "leisurely".
The pic is of my number 5,000 groundhog in some 47 years of dedicated hawg hunting.

That took place on May 29th of last year. If your interested, check out the PA Game Commission web site for license info and an online order form. Good luck on your quest for more hunting ground.
Bill.....................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.