Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Guns today?

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Zeus 
#1 ·
Just sitting here thinking of a conversation me and a buddy had the other day, about guns and gunshows in general. He stated that gunshows were going to be a thing of the past in a few years, and that the younger folks had no appreciation of quality guns. We had this discussion while sitting in the loafing corner of a LGS. As we sat there, there was a brisk business being done, mostly 35 years old and down, all wanting the newest tacticool rilfe, shotgun or AR, or Glocks. Only on customer out of 10 wanted to see an older Marlin lever action, which was priced too cheap and he promptly bought it. As we continued our conversation, he expounded on his reasoning, most of the guns sold while we loafed around for the better parts of 2 hour, were never going to gain any monetary value, as the older better made Winchesters, Marlins, Brownings, Remingtons, Colts, S&W, or Ruger. I opted that we had the best shooting, guns and ammo since I have been alive, also the most affordable. He agreed on that, but then continued to explain, using me as a example. He spoke of a recent purchase of mine, a Ruger American Scout in .300 BO that I got for nearly half of the original price because the guy thought it did not shoot very good, a fallacy I soon discovered after putting on some decent glass, and trying 4 different loads, mine and factory. All loads shot within a1", one much much better. He stated that to the younger buyers, who after their initial purchases and the newness wore off, were willing to take a substantial loss, in trade or sell their guns outright, often to buy another gun, or the newest Xbox, or I phone. Sadly, I had to admit that he was right for the most part, at least about the clientele there that day, most would trade in their newest purchases within 3-6 weeks. For some reason this has been on my mind, and has me in a little bit of a funk, since the conversation. I have been a firearm lover all my life, and still pursue new buys on a regular basis, but after having 5 small safes full, along with a couple of corners in the house also full, I find myself constantly limiting the guns I trade for, if one comes in, one has to go out. I can only shoot so many firearms, and it takes a lot of upkeep to maintain them all. Well sorry for the rant, but I felt like sharing this with you guys, and getting your feedback on the subject!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.