Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Guns today?

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Zeus 
I'm 32, am I a youngster?

I have polymer, aluminum, stainless, blued steel, walnut, titanium, clips, magazines, high speed close range semi autos, and single shot extreme distance rifles, semi auto, revolvers, and single shot handguns, as well as some registered items in my safe.
You aren't a Millennial, a Gen-Xer or any of those other critters, Doug. What you are, sir, is an anomaly, and your parents can be quite proud of that. :D

Carpman

Gun shows have evolved into flea markets. Last "big" show I went to it seemed less than half the tables had anything to do with guns. I am not paying my $8 to walk in so I can see a fellow hawking pots & pans or kitchen knives. ...

The most significant factor in why gun shows will continue to dwindle is right in front of you. I can sit at my desk or on the couch and click on dozens & dozens of web pages to see any manner of firearm I can ever dream up. I can buy parts and have them dropped off at my house within a couple days.
I think these observations by Scott strike pretty close to the mark. I'll add two of mine:

1. Video games. You wonder why young shooters only want wild-looking tactical guns? Here's your answer. This also explains the emphasis on mag dumps versus an accurate shot. Video games emphasize blasting away. Simple.
  2. As a veteran old enough that I was subject to the draft, I have to think that changes in America's military are also a factor. With an all-volunteer military, it seems to me likely that we have less turnover and more folks entering the military for the long haul. That could mean a lot fewer young people being exposed to guns and then returning to civilian life. This also might explain why fewer young shooters really give a rip about accuracy.

Carpman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.