Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Guns today?

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Zeus 
For myself, the purpose the gun is intended for largely dictates type. I've been a fan of ARs for some time, having bought my first in '83. I still have it, however the barrel is now in use by a friend for re-enactments and blank firing.
My last 2 guns (I think) were a plastic framed SIG P320RX, and a wooden stocked Browning A-5 (new model). I love the wood on the Browning, and one can get lost in the deep blueing of the barrel. However, I do like the fact that for about $45 I can get a new grip frame in a variety of sizes and colors for the SIG. I think there are still many that love the looks and feel of a traditional wood and metal firearm, but the home customizing of the newer designs also has an appeal. That (in my opinion) is a big part of why the synthetic stocks and modular guns are such a big hit. How many ARs have you seen that are exactly like your's? It seems more people want a gun all their own! It's easier to replace a part than it is to cut and re-finish one!
My Browning A-5 for example leads me to my second point. If I had bought that gun for hunting, I'm sure I would have got it with the synthetic stock. They are much more damage resistant. Let's face it, the first scratch or ding hurts the most and you might not forget it. With the synthetic stocks and rust resistant finishes, you rarely feel the pain of that first ding.
I have a synthetic stock on my M-1 Garand (tanker) partly for the damage resistance, partly because my little girl liked hunting with it and that stock lightened it up a lot! A semi-auto 30-06 that's in the 7-7.5 pound range becomes handy.
I too notice the black gun leaning....but I also see the looks at the used gun racks. Synthetics lower the cost of any type of gun, and now with many having to pay for a place to hunt and/or shoot, savings are important.

Just my thoughts,

Steven

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.