Varmint Hunters Forum banner

Guns today?

2K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Zeus 
#1 ·
Just sitting here thinking of a conversation me and a buddy had the other day, about guns and gunshows in general. He stated that gunshows were going to be a thing of the past in a few years, and that the younger folks had no appreciation of quality guns. We had this discussion while sitting in the loafing corner of a LGS. As we sat there, there was a brisk business being done, mostly 35 years old and down, all wanting the newest tacticool rilfe, shotgun or AR, or Glocks. Only on customer out of 10 wanted to see an older Marlin lever action, which was priced too cheap and he promptly bought it. As we continued our conversation, he expounded on his reasoning, most of the guns sold while we loafed around for the better parts of 2 hour, were never going to gain any monetary value, as the older better made Winchesters, Marlins, Brownings, Remingtons, Colts, S&W, or Ruger. I opted that we had the best shooting, guns and ammo since I have been alive, also the most affordable. He agreed on that, but then continued to explain, using me as a example. He spoke of a recent purchase of mine, a Ruger American Scout in .300 BO that I got for nearly half of the original price because the guy thought it did not shoot very good, a fallacy I soon discovered after putting on some decent glass, and trying 4 different loads, mine and factory. All loads shot within a1", one much much better. He stated that to the younger buyers, who after their initial purchases and the newness wore off, were willing to take a substantial loss, in trade or sell their guns outright, often to buy another gun, or the newest Xbox, or I phone. Sadly, I had to admit that he was right for the most part, at least about the clientele there that day, most would trade in their newest purchases within 3-6 weeks. For some reason this has been on my mind, and has me in a little bit of a funk, since the conversation. I have been a firearm lover all my life, and still pursue new buys on a regular basis, but after having 5 small safes full, along with a couple of corners in the house also full, I find myself constantly limiting the guns I trade for, if one comes in, one has to go out. I can only shoot so many firearms, and it takes a lot of upkeep to maintain them all. Well sorry for the rant, but I felt like sharing this with you guys, and getting your feedback on the subject!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Well I know it's not much but I try to buy one new gun every year, lately it's been building ARs. But nothing ever seems to leave, even if they haven't been shot in years! But I'll agree about the gun shows going down hill, I just don't find much interesting there any more. Hmm, a new year is almost here, guess I'd better get started dreaming up another project or purchase :D
GOD BLESS. Dean

I like to watch for old stuff that needs TLC at gun shows and small gun stores that take in trades. I've taken several and gone thru them, some I've re-stocked, blued ect. Always like to checker old walnut stocks, wasn't real good at it but was fun. Not sure I could do that anymore the way my hands hurt. Guess that's why I like to build ARs. Let the drill press to the work on a 80% lower and the rest is easy.

#3 ·
Thinking

Damthinking. Thinking hurts so I try not to do too much of it but I'll give it a go. I agree with the theory about gun owner/buyers as it relates to age. Tacticool seems to be the thing. I visit a gun owners forum that is chock full of younger guys who want everything tactical or milspec. They have a whole different concept of "accuracy". They think putting a full magazine of 7.62x39 or 5.56x45 on a man-sized silhouette at 50 meters makes a gun accurate. They shoot metric rounds at metric distances and do it as rapidly as the range will allow. I toss 'em something about shooting a .223 at 100 YARDS and it seems to confuse 'em. They get wrapped around the axle when some anti 2A group refers to an AR or AK as an assault weapon then start a thread titled "What's your main battle rifle?" Polymer handguns are most definitely the top choice. Mine too but I do have a former IPD issue stainless Smith .357 and a Ruger SR1911 I'm pretty partial to. The youngsters do seem to like doing a "mag dump" with their pistols same as their rifles. Darned little talk about blue steel and nice wood!

Oh, yeah. Describe something as "tactical" and I am not buying it!

#4 ·
Current style guns

I walked through a few gun stores and spent a little time looking at the long guns
on the racks.

I was a bit surprised to see how many of the guns looked to be made for the
military or LE-----very little of the shiny blue metal and walnut I grew up
adoring.

I think this works against our efforts to hang on to our 2A rights----most of what the uninformed anti's see reminds them of tools of war.

Is our firearms industry hurting their own future by concentrating on such
designs ?

This old man sees this and wonders.

A. Weldy

#5 ·
Don’t let it get you down Sam.

I was in a gun shop a couple weeks ago and of the dozens of guns on the wall, only 2 of them had wood on them. I think that’s just what most customers want right now. A few of those firearms will go up in value. Most of them will not. I think it is human nature to believe that things were better in the “old days”. We were fortunate enough to grow up in the post-WWII era when some mighty fine firearms were built right here. There was also a lot of junk made during that period but those guns tend to fade into obscurity while the nicer ones are embedded in our memories.

A lot of junk is being made now but there are still a lot of good guns being made even though their pretty wooden stocks are being replaced by Fiberglas, carbon fiber, and other polymers. Of course you can still order high end stuff from the custom shops and those will likely be worth more than the standard Wal Mart issue version. It was that way in the old days too.

It pains me to admit that your friend was right but just remember. Someday the young man who sold you that Blackout will be an old timer and he will tell his son,” I had one of those Ruger Americans once and sold it for half-price because I wanted a new video game. I wish I had never sold it.”

Just my thoughts

#6 · (Edited)
I'm 32, am I a youngster?

I have polymer, aluminum, stainless, blued steel, walnut, titanium, clips, magazines, high speed close range semi autos, and single shot extreme distance rifles, semi auto, revolvers, and single shot handguns, as well as some registered items in my safe.

Gunshows generally suck around here, when I go I look at just about the everything except handguns (don't need to expand that part of my collection currently). I'd be more likely to bring a militray rifle in some long lost caliber home....or a 58 caliber muzzleloader.....or a Springfield trapdoor......than another AR

#12 ·
I'm 32, am I a youngster?

I have polymer, aluminum, stainless, blued steel, walnut, titanium, clips, magazines, high speed close range semi autos, and single shot extreme distance rifles, semi auto, revolvers, and single shot handguns, as well as some registered items in my safe.
You aren't a Millennial, a Gen-Xer or any of those other critters, Doug. What you are, sir, is an anomaly, and your parents can be quite proud of that. :D

Carpman

#7 ·
To answer your question..........

Yes. You are one of those millennials that everyone is complaining about. However, you have the answers to a couple questions that I have. Gonna send you a PM, if that’s OK.

Oh yeah, and WHY did you have to bring up the Trapdoor ? I have too many things on my list already.

#8 ·
The only guns I have and want are blued walnut whether they are shotguns or rifles. They are what I grew up with and I will continue to use that type of gun till I no longer shoot.

I have not much use for the new guns today and I have never wanted an AR type rifle and I probably never will. I have a good friend who is a year younger than me that buys and sells guns all the time. What he wants is plastic stocked rifles that cost no more than $500 to buy. He told me the other day he no longer thinks about walnut stocked rifle, he just doesn't care that they look nicer, the fact they cost more is what bothers him.

#9 ·
As I sneak up on collecting social security, I offer these highly valuable opinions. ;)

Gun shows will continue to fade. Venues are becoming less accommodating and in some cases openly hostile to guns in general.

Gun shows have evolved into flea markets. Last "big" show I went to it seemed less than half the tables had anything to do with guns. I am not paying my $8 to walk in so I can see a fellow hawking pots & pans or kitchen knives.

Prices at shows are another thing that annoys me. Perhaps it's a Michigan thing but seriously - your used old "custom" Mossberg 500 with genuine rattle can camo paint job is not worth $350. It was $229 on sale at Walmart with an extra barrel.

The most significant factor in why gun shows will continue to dwindle is right in front of you. I can sit at my desk or on the couch and click on dozens & dozens of web pages to see any manner of firearm I can ever dream up. I can buy parts and have them dropped off at my house within a couple days.

Acquiring another gun is simple as well. Click Click Click - ship it to my FFL, pick it up in a couple days.

As for my accumulation of guns... I like lots of them. From single shot 22's up to Eargashplittenloudenboomers.

Pistols? Ya, some of 'em go round & several rattle back & forthward. :D On the low end I have a Sterling 25acp that sits in the safe along with Brownings, Colts, Beretta, S&W and even a Desert Eagle.

Rifles, as you would expect (for those that know me) Lots of black ones but I am particularly fond of vintage SAVAGES even in calibers that are nearly obsolete. They snuggle next to a Garand, nice bolt guns, crappy bolt guns, a pump or two and lever actuated.

As I said, I like lots of them.

#13 · (Edited)
Gun shows have evolved into flea markets. Last "big" show I went to it seemed less than half the tables had anything to do with guns. I am not paying my $8 to walk in so I can see a fellow hawking pots & pans or kitchen knives. ...

The most significant factor in why gun shows will continue to dwindle is right in front of you. I can sit at my desk or on the couch and click on dozens & dozens of web pages to see any manner of firearm I can ever dream up. I can buy parts and have them dropped off at my house within a couple days.
I think these observations by Scott strike pretty close to the mark. I'll add two of mine:

1. Video games. You wonder why young shooters only want wild-looking tactical guns? Here's your answer. This also explains the emphasis on mag dumps versus an accurate shot. Video games emphasize blasting away. Simple.
  2. As a veteran old enough that I was subject to the draft, I have to think that changes in America's military are also a factor. With an all-volunteer military, it seems to me likely that we have less turnover and more folks entering the military for the long haul. That could mean a lot fewer young people being exposed to guns and then returning to civilian life. This also might explain why fewer young shooters really give a rip about accuracy.

Carpman

#10 ·
I was thinking the other day.....

And it does hurt;)
I’m glad I bought my Python,1911s and the Ruger #1s and 40x’s that I did when I did,but I’m sad that I didn’t buy more Smith and Wesson’s with nice long barrels,tastes change and as I get older I would love to have gotten a 647,648,and perhaps a 686 with an 8 3/8”barrel.It hurts me that I remember what they used to cost when you could buy them readily.I guess I should be happy I found a really nice 657 with an 8 3/8” barrel and that I lucked onto a 454 model 83 that is very accurate.Point is I think the big companies change what they offer so quickly to try and keep up with the cravings of these younger shooters that I’m usually too late to that party.Too many spray and pray pieces of junk out there.Thank God for Cooper and Freedom Arms.Like Dean I think I better save my money and buy something nice in 2019.
Matt

#11 ·
been working at the gun shop 17 years now I think? Have noticed a BIG change in the racks. When I started, we might have had 3 AR's in the rack at most. The synthetic craze had already taken a foothold, but we still had probably half and half wood to synthetic. Albeit, the wood changed from Walnut to cheap birch and laminate varieties. Now it's mostly synthetic, with nearly all colors of the rainbow. I've seen the Tacti-cool phase take over. Kinda drives me crazy. Guys come in "got any XYZ's?" Every day there's something new, I can't keep up. Pistols have gone crazy. There's more varieties, sizes, colors, than ever.

I've seen a lot in my years there, but you know what? It beats the alternative. Sill lots of 2A folks out there. I like to think there's more guns than crazy Liberals.;):D

#14 ·
Ah, you guys are missing the other side of the coin - the dealers that love the churners ( not Charlie Sterner, of course) who are more than willing to help these pilgrims upgrade. If it were stocks or insurance the SEC or FTC would be talking jail time.

I don't judge anyone however having your own flock of pigeons or guppies could be hard to chase away.

Best.

#15 ·
Another aspect to consider in addition to flea market approach, there have been several different promoters added in our area, diluting the decent dealers and trying to add market share. I stopped going to the biggest show because I couldn't walk that much any more (1500+ tables). I still make it to smaller shows (<500), but always go to my favorite shows that still have a fair number of dealers with collectibles and old school military arms. Prices have all gone up, but you can occasionally find decent things worthwhile.

Newer guns have gone down market, and the price is what is driving the mass markets. You can still get the classic models of quality arms, but prices have gone crazy, compared to maybe 8 or 10 years ago. Have you looked at prices of any Colt or S&W revolvers or a classic M700 or M70 rifle? The younger folks are buying plastic striker fired pistols and the cheapest polymer stocked rifles. I haven't bought many new arms for a few years, except for AR parts. Glad I bought good stuff all along, because they have gotten lots more valuable along the way. When you find a bargain, get it while you can.

#17 ·
The gun shows around here(WI), suck. I don't go to any, unless my brother wants to make it a social event. There is one, about the time we turkey hunt, that he and I go to, more to do lunch, and look at what ever shows up at that show. It usually reminds me why I don't go to gun shows anymore.

As for tacticool, I like that style of rifle, and pistol. I have pretty blued/walnut rifles and shotguns, and for the most part, they stay in the safe. My Citori's and a Ruger Red Label, in 28 ga., get out regularly, but the pretty rifles stay in the safe, and the plastic stock rifles get to play. Even my Model 70, has a synthetic stock. Actually a number of my rifles, have walnut stocks, in their original boxes, and they now wear after market synthetic stuff. I hate dragging pretty wood around in field conditions. And as I get older, I find even less use for bolt actions, and have migrated to semi-autos. I have one revolver, and over a dozen semi-auto pistols. I have no use for wheel guns. I won the one I have.

I guess maybe I was born 40-50 years too soon. :D

About the only good thing about millennial's propensity to trade in/sell cheap, is if one is in the used firearms market, there are deals to be had.

Squeeze

#18 ·
For myself, the purpose the gun is intended for largely dictates type. I've been a fan of ARs for some time, having bought my first in '83. I still have it, however the barrel is now in use by a friend for re-enactments and blank firing.
My last 2 guns (I think) were a plastic framed SIG P320RX, and a wooden stocked Browning A-5 (new model). I love the wood on the Browning, and one can get lost in the deep blueing of the barrel. However, I do like the fact that for about $45 I can get a new grip frame in a variety of sizes and colors for the SIG. I think there are still many that love the looks and feel of a traditional wood and metal firearm, but the home customizing of the newer designs also has an appeal. That (in my opinion) is a big part of why the synthetic stocks and modular guns are such a big hit. How many ARs have you seen that are exactly like your's? It seems more people want a gun all their own! It's easier to replace a part than it is to cut and re-finish one!
My Browning A-5 for example leads me to my second point. If I had bought that gun for hunting, I'm sure I would have got it with the synthetic stock. They are much more damage resistant. Let's face it, the first scratch or ding hurts the most and you might not forget it. With the synthetic stocks and rust resistant finishes, you rarely feel the pain of that first ding.
I have a synthetic stock on my M-1 Garand (tanker) partly for the damage resistance, partly because my little girl liked hunting with it and that stock lightened it up a lot! A semi-auto 30-06 that's in the 7-7.5 pound range becomes handy.
I too notice the black gun leaning....but I also see the looks at the used gun racks. Synthetics lower the cost of any type of gun, and now with many having to pay for a place to hunt and/or shoot, savings are important.

Just my thoughts,

Steven

#19 ·
Lots of black stocked rifles out there today. You kinda have to admit, while not the prettiest girl in the room, most are far better accuracy wise. Wasn't all that long ago a rifle shooting a 1/2" group at 100 yds was a keeper. Now they're shooting tighter groups at 600 yds. I have a few AR uppers. Two are one hole shooters and the 7.62x 39 upper I built shoots tiny cloverleafs at 100 yds. Who'd a thunk a 7.62x 39 could be such an accurate round.
I hear ya about pistols. I shoot more pistol than anything. A lot of these tupperware pistols shoot wider patterns than most shotguns...and the shooter is happy with that. If they can keep it on the full size human target at 15 feet, why they're a regular Wyatt Earp. I've shot a lot of real good shooters and I've shot some that should be called paper weights. Thankfully, I guess I'm experienced enough that for most of my pistols, I'm capable of making them run right. And let's not get started on the Rambo types that think they need a 100 round mag in a semi auto for a carry gun. Some of these bozos I think are dangerous. Apparently they think a confrontation goes down and it lasts for a couple of hours. They certainly don't want to run out of ammo.
I only go to a gun show when I want to move something. Prices are far better at my local gunshop and if there's a problem, he's real easy to find and willing to make it right. You can always find somebody at a gunshow that's willing to pay more for your gun than I think it's worth. They're usually walking around and talking loud.Yeah, I'll play on loud mouths ego and he'll over pay every time....but he thinks he looks good doing it.

#20 ·
Lopts of interesting styles and opinions on this thread. I guess you could say I have somewhat eclectic tastes. My collection while small, has a curious mix. Most are either dedicated for benchrest purposes or prairie dogs. I do have a couple of wood stocked, one a Cooper Model 22 and the other a Savage "J" action from many years ago. Come to think of it, there is a third, a Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage made in 1936. I picked it up early this year at a reasonable price. Didn't need it, just wanted it. Had planned to deer hunt with it this fall, but right now it looks like I may not even make it into the woods before the season's over. Have a few handgun, including a TC Contender with 4 barrels. Would consider selling a couple of the barrels, but I have three of them custom chambered and waited a very long time to get them, so I'm reluctant to part with them. I do have one black rifle due to my friend skruske's influence and assistance, doubt there will be a second. I rarely buy a new firearm. Most recent two were a 10/22 that was on sale at Midsouth and the other a Taurus 1911, forget their actual model #. My family will have fun moving them all when I'm gone.

Rick

#21 ·
Well gentlemen i am in my mid 60s and a lot of guys my age had no appreciation for a fine drilling or a fine double gun rifle or shotgun they wanted pump,autos.I will keep my double rifles and shot guns and let the youngsters buy the plastic stuff ALL THINGS RUN IN CYCLES just glad to see youngsters buying and shooting.Just the view from this side of the fence.

#22 ·
Gun Shows

Koger, I'm not going to get into the what's and whatnots of this thread. But I am going to share with you a real gun show that I think you'll like: if not well maybe something is wrong with you, or me. The weekend of December 5th and 6th at the Cave City Convention Center. It's a good one, $5.00 admission and about all blued steel and walnut. Prices are kinda high but it's still a "Gun Show". Get you ass on the parkway in Somerset and get off at Glasgow. Go north to Cave city and you're there. Hope you like it. The promoters: The" Richeys" are nice people. Enjoy!!! John Kruzan

#23 · (Edited)
interesting...

Timely thread.....I spent the better part of the day yesterday shooting a few of my choice firearms. I was shooting at a buddy's house....he's about the same age as me and has about the same appreciation for a decent firearm. Right before we started shooting a younger guy showed up......at the ripe old age of 30.

We shot 3 different 44 specials (GP100, Bulldog, and Taurus 445).....a Sig P938 (my carry gun), Kimber Eclipse Custom II 45, Coonan Classic 357, GP100 357 and my Tommy gun.

My buddy really enjoyed shooting the different guns....he's been considering one of my 44 specials for a trade but is on the fence because he wasn't sure about the caliber.....after shooting the different revolvers he has a much better sense of what he'd like.....The 44 specials are still on his short list.

The young guy was just in awe over the quality of most of the examples that I brought. He's only been exposed to the fantastic plastic and polymer guns for the most part. Hand finished, brushed stainless steal or nicely polished blued steel had never really caught his eye until he actually tried a weapon of such quality. Needless to say his whole view of firearms has changed.

I think the guys I was shooting with really gained an appreciation for a decent firearm.....No the Charter and Taurus are nothing special.....but they are different and most folks just never get the chance to even hold one let alone shoot one. There is a fine line between a quality firearm and a piece of junk and I've often tested that limit.....but when it comes right down to it personal preference is what drives gun sales and if they've never been exposed to something decent most folks won't know the difference.....no matter how glaringly obvious....

The more young folks that we introduce to the world of QUALITY firearms the more demand there will be......but for now polymer frames and special coatings are popular so that's what is being marketed.....But I tell ya what....Reliablility has really been improved on over the years for semi-automatic and combat weapons......not a bad thing at all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.