Varmint Hunters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Savage M30, falling block paper weight, in 17 HMR. It appears the action was not modified to accomodate the longer HMR cartridge and it requires holding the hammer back with your thumb in order to remove the spent case and insert a live round. So.......... I'm wondering if the gun could be rechambered for the shorter 17 HM2 round. What do you think? Worth messing with or better left as is?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Have you talked to Savage about the problem? Maybe they had a bad batch get out of the factory, or subsequently made mods to the rifle. It they won't do anything, you should be able to get the barrel set back and have it rechambered for 17M2, or even rebarrel to a 22lr, if that interests you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a Savage M30, falling block paper weight, in 17 HMR. It appears the action was not modified to accomodate the longer HMR cartridge and it requires holding the hammer back with your thumb in order to remove the spent case and insert a live round. So.......... I'm wondering if the gun could be rechambered for the shorter 17 HM2 round. What do you think? Worth messing with or better left as is?

Thanks

Mine's the same way. If it didn't shoot so amazingly well I'd worry more about it, but I got it for very little money and it DOES shoot like it should.
TDC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.